Trusted Contributor

I do not understand why QVC has been allowing people to review items they have not purchased. This has been going on for the past year (or a bit longer). Other people have complained and then you added a question when you are reviewing an item "Did you purchase this item". Well, please explain to me what that accomplishes? That makes no sense, since the items still have the average of their ratings changed by non-purchasers. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Please go back to your stricter system for reviews, as they are quickly becoming meaningless. For example, I just looked at the new orYANY bag for fall and there is presently one review which gives it four stars. The reviewer says she wanted to purchase it but doesn't like their Moroccan design lining. She wants paisley. Please! This is ridiculous. People who have issues like that can 1) communicate with the vendor directly, or 2) look for another handbag by another manufacturer. So now the bag had four stars. It could be a five star bag, or it could be a one star bag. Who is making these decisions at QVC?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reviews by non-purchasers

I agree that something needs to be changed, but my problem is somewhat different. When the Easy Street TSV shoe came on, there was one review on it. The reviewer said they "purchased them from another source a few months ago" and gave them 5 stars. I should never have given that review any credibility, but I did consider it and bought 3 pairs. They ALL went back at QVC's expense. The 8W that I ordered was sized like a 9-1/2 or 10WW.. they were so long on my foot that they looked like clown shoes on me.

How could QVC have allowed that review, not even knowing if it was indeed the same shoe-there are lots of similar ones out there. Now there are as many 1 and 2-star reviews as there are 4 and 5-stars, with an overall of 3 out of 5. Since many TSV shoes are made specifically for QVC, there was no way to know that the reviewer had the same shoe. That's extremely misleading. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Super Contributor

When you write a review, it asks "Did you purchase this product?" and you are free to click "yes" regardless of whether you actually did purchase it. What is the point of the question?

I can see how it would be reasonable for people to leave reviews even if they bought the item elsewhere, but the yes/no option doesn't actually improve the process in any way.

Amazon tracks and notes whether you bought the item from them, so you can tell if people did not buy the item and judge their review accordingly.

Honored Contributor

If you know they haven't purchased the item, discount their review. It's pretty easy to see what the others are and know how the one review impacted the overall results. It's not a big deal to me.

Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 kittymomNC said:

I agree that something needs to be changed, but my problem is somewhat different. When the Easy Street TSV shoe came on, there was one review on it. The reviewer said they "purchased them from another source a few months ago" and gave them 5 stars. I should never have given that review any credibility, but I did consider it and bought 3 pairs. They ALL went back at QVC's expense. The 8W that I ordered was sized like a 9-1/2 or 10WW.. they were so long on my foot that they looked like clown shoes on me.

How could QVC have allowed that review, not even knowing if it was indeed the same shoe-there are lots of similar ones out there. Now there are as many 1 and 2-star reviews as there are 4 and 5-stars, with an overall of 3 out of 5. Since many TSV shoes are made specifically for QVC, there was no way to know that the reviewer had the same shoe. That's extremely misleading. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Perhaps the shoes fit the person who wrote that review? Either way, it was their experience.

I've often seen the exact same shoes sold elsewhere. I'll never believe some company went to all the expense to change the molds and plans for a shoe for Q. They may change the decorative aspect or even the particular color or strap. Otherwise, the cost to that company would be outrageous.

Trusted Contributor

I've seen, "I would have purchased this but ..." giving the item a negative rating. People shouldn't review if they don't purchase. jmho

Esteemed Contributor

This has been an issue for years. Of course, I don't allow those reviews to influence my decision when making a purchase; however, I think QVC misleads customers when promoting items as "Customer Top Rated" or "Hot Pick." If the reviewer didn't even purchase the item, then the review shouldn't be factored in when classifying the product as "five stars" or "top rated."

Honored Contributor

On 7/20/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

Perhaps the shoes fit the person who wrote that review? Either way, it was their experience.

I've often seen the exact same shoes sold elsewhere. I'll never believe some company went to all the expense to change the molds and plans for a shoe for Q. They may change the decorative aspect or even the particular color or strap. Otherwise, the cost to that company would be outrageous.

Today's Clarks TSV is on sale at local B&M stores.

Contributor

One time I read a review by a poster who had not purchased the item. At the end of the review is an option to report it. I decided to try that, and when I came back, the post was removed. I think that may stop this from happening.
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/20/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

103 ratings on this shoe now on QVC---44 are 1 and 2-star ratings, 47 are 4 and 5-star ratings, with 12 in the middle...overall average 3.1 out of 5. On average, it shows that they run large and they run wide. If I had seen those kinds of reviews instead of one 5-star review on a shoe bought elsewhere, I might have made a different decision -- There are so many very similar styles available on the market, it is at least possible that it was not exactly the same shoe. I still don't think a review should be allowed that was not purchased from QVC.