Respected Contributor

On a couple of threads I wanted to comment on it said that the comment period was closed.

Is this because there was no activity or because the topic was a hotbed of comments.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

Re: Discussion period closed?

golfcartrider, It appears the Q closes recent/current threads that have become contentious and (for reasons known only to them) they allow an edited version to remain, but new comments are closed.

In addition, if you do a search and then read a really old thread you'll find all of those are closed to comments. The Q appears to have some "magic thread age" which deems threads to be appropriate to remain for searches and reading but not appropriate for replies.

Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Often, once they close a thread to comments, usually because it's gotten contentious or veered into an area verboten by the 'standards', it's only a matter of time before the thread disappears altogether.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

There's also a request in Suggestion Box to remove threads older than a month. Since there are still many a thread around older than the request, it doesn't seem that they've implemented a timing standard. I don't understand why some posts actually post and others don't. (BTW, since I'm relatively new to these boards, I tend to look bright-side unless I'm really riled up and I don't think I've been really riled up about anything posted (yet). LOL!
Trusted Contributor

I should have also said that I really appreciate you input, GCR, stevieb, and dooBdoo. Your posts are always helpful and informative! Many thanks! Edited for stevieb's name and autocorrect!
Respected Contributor

Thank You all for the info. I thought it was because of the content

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

I think it is because of the content. I think the deletions or closings come when posters stray into areas that could open the corporation to law suits.

Of course, they could just do what some of their competitors do and close down their forums so tightly that no one wants to post there much at all. That's the answer I seem to get when I ask posters who love to shop HSN why they don't go there to post - they hate their forums even worse than QVC's.

I'd prefer the Q keep doing what their legal staff advises them to do to protect themselves and let the forums live.

Honored Contributor

On 7/1/2014 dooBdoo said:

golfcartrider, It appears the Q closes recent/current threads that have become contentious and (for reasons known only to them) they allow an edited version to remain, but new comments are closed.

In addition, if you do a search and then read a really old thread you'll find all of those are closed to comments. The Q appears to have some "magic thread age" which deems threads to be appropriate to remain for searches and reading but not appropriate for replies.

Smile

Hi, dooBdoo. Yes, they do sometimes close a thread because of its contentious nature instead of outright deleting it. Personally, I don't understand the benefit to that. If it's contentious enough to close, why not just delete as they do others?

That way idiots like me wouldn't waste time writing a reply, only then to find out the thread is locked. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I completely understand closing threads going in the wrong direction.

I was on two this morning that got really ugly because of one or two people that could not be respectful. The thread was going in a bad direction. They were both deleted.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

On 7/2/2014 golfcartrider said:

I completely understand closing threads going in the wrong direction.

I was on two this morning that got really ugly because of one or two people that could not be respectful. The thread was going in a bad direction. They were both deleted.

I don't understand closing a thread instead of just deleting it. If it's become ugly, why let it stay up at all? That's my only point.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland