Honored Contributor

Complaint about TSV presentations

Why is so much time spent on the presentations? Sometimes 30 minutes to a whole hour. I know immediately if I want the tsv. I realize it is done to "push" the item but very annoying.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Complaint about TSV presentations

For the sake of argument, let us assume you ran the shopping network. Each day, you have an item that you want to push hard as you have many of them now sitting in your warehouse and you have gotten a special price on it (giving you a high profit margin). Knowing that many people no longer sit and watch your network for hours and a time, and significant number of viewers on check your channel intermittently as they switch channels, would you show this daily "special" for several minutes only a few times a day or would you show it for extended periods of time many times a day in order to "catch" consumers as they flip by?

There is a reason shopping channels -- all of them -- show their daily specials for these extended periods of time. It is to maximize profits -- not to annoy or bore you.

Respected Contributor

On 4/23/2014 KYToby said:

For the sake of argument, let us assume you ran the shopping network. Each day, you have an item that you want to push hard as you have many of them now sitting in your warehouse and you have gotten a special price on it (giving you a high profit margin). Knowing that many people no longer sit and watch your network for hours and a time, and significant number of viewers on check your channel intermittently as they switch channels, would you show this daily "special" for several minutes only a few times a day or would you show it for extended periods of time many times a day in order to "catch" consumers as they flip by?

There is a reason shopping channels -- all of them -- show their daily specials for these extended periods of time. It is to maximize profits -- not to annoy or bore you.

Yes but that is exactly what they are doing, intentional or not

Valued Contributor

Ladybug724, ITA.

I never watched QVC or any TV shopping show all day for backround noise.

There were times when I would watch full shows of items that might be of interest. Now, I can't remember when I watched a full show of anything QVC presents.

I don't even do "Q checks" anymore b/c everytime I do, all I see are the tired same old items. LOL, I'm finding the the network commercials are far more interesting.

Super Contributor

They are way too long.

Esteemed Contributor

another funny story....I don't sleep well...so I tour the channels all night and day long...yesterday I turned ShopHQ on...around 4am....there was Skip Connelly and a vendor presenting portable air conditioners.....

the shows name was Around the House...I expected to see other home products...but, no...they kept repeating that same presentation over and over till 8am...

this morning...I was awake, again...turned on ShopHQ , again, about the same time...and low and behold....there was Skip, again...showing the same portable air conditioner...over and over till 8am....

I had to laugh...talk about overkill...the air conditioner wasn't even there TS...hahahaha....

As to QVC....while Toby gives a good explanation of the why.....it sure is annoying to those of us that would like shortened presentations of the TSV....hence...I just don't watch the Q. much any more...mostly just check the recently viewed items and watch a video if its something I am interested in....

Super Contributor

ShopHQ airs recorded presentations at night. They are not always live presentations. For me, watching them is like watching paint dry.

Honored Contributor

Too long and too many presentations of TSV's... And were I that shopping channel, I'd consider THAT'S THE VERY REASON people are no longer watching my programming as much as perhaps they once did, and realize I can either bore my audience senseless, pushing high profit margin items relentlessly or consider offering at least a little more variety, and perhaps also make a profit by capturing part of the audience that is no longer watching... or buying....

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Regular Contributor

On 4/23/2014 KYToby said:

If you are a smart executive. You would know that a way to maximize profits, is to sell related items along with the high priced items. If a customer purchases a bed why not try and sell them sheets, pillows, comforters, blankets, etc... or if they purchase a computer, a printer, surge protector, etc...

To keep customers you need to offer them more then just high priced items.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/23/2014 HappyAndIKnowIt From NY said:

ShopHQ airs recorded presentations at night. They are not always live presentations. For me, watching them is like watching paint dry.

I realize they go off the air "live" at 2am....but you would think they could run something else then four hours of the same presentation....