Frequent Contributor

Liz Claiborne A232264 hand crochet????

I'm sure many lady's know what real [hand crochet] looks like, this is not, it's machine made, so why sell it as hand made? of course to give it more value, the truth is that it would take a very long time to make one, how on earth can they make hundreds? so why not sell it as a crochet sweater? why mislead those that are not expert's in recognizing hand made from machine made? they should not be allowed to do so.

Honored Contributor

Re: Liz Claiborne A232264 hand crochet????

I saw one item they presented and said it was hand made. I wondered how that could be when QVC sells thousands of a particular item. More misrepresentation.

Contributor

Linda Davies said on there one day that there was a woman who worked for Liz Clairborne that did design the crochet patterns, I don't think she meant that they handmade each crochet item,just the samples that they use.

Regular Contributor

What is it about this sweater that tells you it is machine made?

I've crocheted a bit and looking at it, it looks like something that could be done by hand. I don't see anything that says "only a machine could have done that".

Respected Contributor

If they are all truly handmade, they are being made in a Chinese sweatshop! Oh, yeah, most of the items QVC sells come from Chinese sweatshops, sorry to state the obvious.

Regular Contributor

I am not familiar with "machine" versus hand crochet, but I wonder if it is something similar to the "hand quilted" quilts that are sometimes popular. The more correct term might be " hand guided", where the quilting is done with a machine and not a (hand) needle & thread. But someone sits stitching, at a type of sewing machine. Maybe crochet could be done the same way?
Honored Contributor

Maybe they meant handmade........they put/sewed together the crochet and knit items by hand. Which could mean sewing it together on a sewing machine. I'm guessing that the crochet part is machine crochet. If it is absolutely perfect, chances are that they are machine crochet. I'm only guessing..........and now I'm really confusing.....

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Contributor

It is not possible to crochet on a machine, the way it is to hand or machine knit.

I have no doubt these were hand crocheted. A hundred or so Chinese woman could turn a couple thousand sweaters out in a month, working long hours, as they do in the factories.

I thought they were very pretty, and since I do all kinds of needlework, I looked at them very closely. Definitely a well-designed pattern, with good structure to hold it together.

Honored Contributor

Hand made means that human hands have operated the machine that does the process. Not crocheting as we know it but the knitting and beading and the embroidery and applique are done on a machine guided by hand. Worked at a garment manufacturer in my younger days and operated a few of these machines. Same goes with the smocking or shirring or any trim application. I put in "hand made" button holes in garments too. But there are many, many under paid, over worked people that do legit hand work too.

Esteemed Contributor

I have this shrug and it is indeed handmade. I remember watching my grandmother and mother crocheting . They would do one square at a time and then when they finished the squares sew them together. I showed this to my mother and she said this is handmade and done very well.