New Contributor
Why do hosts & vendors use culinary words to describe clothing? How is a pair of pants "delicious" or "yummy" ? I wonder if they realize how stupid it sounds
Honored Contributor

I suppose because having to try to come up with even remotely fresh descriptors for the same old duds gets to be a chore... Besides, stupid or not, the regular day to day lexicon is fraught with references to food and flavor.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

I guess they think not of using a thesaurus or books as such to improve their daily sales pitch, even though you would think that they might even get tired of the same old phrases and words. Out of shear boredom, if I didn't know better synonyms I'd have to learn some as I couldn't stand having such a restrictive vocabulary !

Doesn't show much incentive on their part, however, to refresh their communication skills or enhance their job performance. Sad, isn't it ?

Valued Contributor
I'm a poem writer---it's very important to me to use words in a way that is new--I love the dictionary!!
Respected Contributor

Shawn used to be the worst at using made up names. When I have watched her recently, I noticed she has stopped that habit. I always enjoy her as a host otherwise.

Honored Contributor
Shawn has her own separate made-up language; she's the main reason I don't watch anymore. I think all the "yummy" words are just borrowed from the prissy designers.....I don't find the words offensive, just not very helpful if I am trying to figure out what a fabric is. QVC still needs to move into the 21st century and put an actual scroll-to-zoom feature on the photos of items online.....the current option does not let you see all of a garment; only larger shots of a couple of pics. If I can truly zoom in a fabric, I can tell right away if I am interested or not.
Trusted Contributor
I don't know why they do that but it drives me nuts, too. When I hear a clothing item referred to as "sweet" I want to scream. Or eat a cookie!
Honored Contributor

I think QVC wants their hosts' personalities to come out a bit .... I don't know about you, but if they were all Stepford Hosts, it would be boring as heck.

So what if they do a play on words? It's not like they are addressing a Congressional Committee.

Besides ....... if they didn't make funny / odd comments now and then, what ever would people complain about on the message boards? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

"Delicious" is not limited to being a culinary word, but it is the most common use of the word when describing food or drinks. The hosts are apparently trying to stretch and freshen up their use of synonyms to describe pleasing attributes of an item. I've read so many complaints about the hosts using words like "beautiful," "stunning," or "status" far too often, I for one like it when they open their vocabulary once in a while. Delicious also means very pleasing (a delicious sense of humor), or something very enjoyable/delightful/exquisite/tasteful to the senses. But then again I'm an English major, so I'm immediately drawn to the broader and correct benefit of words.

Occasional Contributor

Another word that is ALWAYS used to describe tops, sweaters, etc is little. This cute little top, this darling little blazer, just throw a little jacket on to complete the outfit -- enough! I know the clothes I wear are certainly not little. Unless you are an xs or small, I think little should be dropped as a descriptive adjective. Give this poor overused word a rest!