Labor Day Weekend Clearance
77 Members and 8130 Guests Online

Q Did What?

STUFF ABOUT THAT OTHER SHOPPING CHANNEL AND THEY WATCH QVC

Started 1373150163.547 in Q Did What? | Last reply 1373399539.387 by SPURT

HSN CEO Mindy Grossman got a nice plug in Friday’s Wall Street Journal, which chronicled how the home shopping network has boosted its business through mobile devices.

Mindy Grossman

Mindy Grossman

The article, with the headline “HSN Enjoys A Mobile-Shopping Rebirth in the Digital Era,” reports that more than half of the network’s new sales come in through mobile phones. And HSN.com accounted for half of HSN’s sales last year.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324251504578580180946492630.html

But we found several tidbits in the story more interesting than that stuff. It pointed out that when Grossman was at Nike Inc., she wore high heels every day to work at the sneaker giant.

According to the WSJ, HSN’s average customer is a female 25 to 54 with an average annual income of $69,000. Wow!

The story also noted that in her office in St. Pete, Grossman has six TV’s, tuned to HSN, QVC, HSN.com and a stream of current sales data for HSN.

SAN ANTONIO SPURS 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS! GO SPURS GO!

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.

Page 1 of 1
SPURT1373151199.456515 PostsRegistered 1/5/2009

Meanwhile back at the ranch.....QVC's target audience as described by QVC's CEO MIKE GEORGE--Our customer is a 35- to 65-year-old woman with a somewhat above-average income, The sweet spot of the household income level for QVC goes from $50,000 to $250,000.

Well I wish Ms. Watt would take a que from Mindy Grossman and listen to suggestion and comments from customers.....{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Wonder if Mindy is as bored with QVC programming as many of us are....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Sorry the link to the Wall Street Journal article doesnt work because you have to subscribe to read it....but interesting neverthe less....but this article has some of the same stuff

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2013/07/05/what-does-hsns-mindy-grossman-have-in.html?page=all

Also this article from 2009-

http://www.twst.com/interview/27124

Last edited on 7/6/2013

Last edited on 7/6/2013

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.

stevieb1373157219.32328174 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

Interesting that one CEO is interested in feedback while the other does the ostrich routine, apparently burying her head in the sand. It would appear the outcomes are predictably commensurate with their respective responses...

Last edited on 7/6/2013

Last edited on 7/6/2013

wildcat fan1373157921.673378 PostsRegistered 1/18/2010
LOL, I bet she's absolutely beaming/gloating at times when she does the side-by-side comparison between QVC & HSN. I'm surprised I'm within George's target demographic. I would've guessed the target to be much younger & lower income.

stevieb1373168295.07728174 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007
On 7/6/2013 wildcat fan said: LOL, I bet she's absolutely beaming/gloating at times when she does the side-by-side comparison between QVC & HSN. I'm surprised I'm within George's target demographic. I would've guessed the target to be much younger & lower income.

Isn't that the truth... I think I knew their demographic is what it is, but you'd never guess it based on some of the host's behavior... some of the hosts period... certain of the vendors... the level of merchandise highlighted recently and often... the constant references to youth and beauty... etc...

Bobby K1373172808.641234 PostsRegistered 12/25/2010The Golden State

Spurt, very interesting article. Good read. Thanks for posting {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

stevieb1373202914.6428174 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

I once sent an email to HSN suggesting they beef up their options in accessories, all right, in purses. I received a very nice reply that expressed appreciation for me taking the time to comment. The reply noted they want feedback from customers to enhance the shopping experience they offer... I was impressed. I can only surmise that sending a similar message to this outfit would not result in the same outcome. In fact, I'd suspect it would be akin to sending it into a black hole. While their arrogance continues to be astounding, they actually appear no longer able to back it up with top notch programming, presentations, diversified and quality merchandise or, it would seem, success, at least as far as the US operation goes.

SPURT1373204437.676515 PostsRegistered 1/5/2009
On 7/6/2013 wildcat fan said: LOL, I bet she's absolutely beaming/gloating at times when she does the side-by-side comparison between QVC & HSN. I'm surprised I'm within George's target demographic. I would've guessed the target to be much younger & lower income.

Hi wildcat fan,

QVC is just itching to reel in the younger demographic....they hired younger hosts (that dont live up to standards) and swamp us with all their social media stuff constantly pushing Fabebnook and Chat. BUT their products dont mesh with that...is the younger demographic into cooking? Are they into buying a $500 vaccuum?, they probably have enough pcs and tablets ......, they certainly arent into polyester clothing....they just dont know their REAL customers...

And Mindy mjust giggle as she watches her professional hosts versus the trainwrecks that are some of the QVC hosts....

Last edited on 7/7/2013

Last edited on 7/7/2013

SPURT1373204647.496515 PostsRegistered 1/5/2009
On 7/6/2013 Bobby K said:

Spurt, very interesting article. Good read. Thanks for posting {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Hi Bobby glad you enjoyed it....and did hou notice that although this was back in 2009 that crafts were one of HSNs top sellers....so Mindy kept crafts in the mix and when I watch them on HSN they do well in sell outs and this was a line that QVC dumped uncermoniously......But I guess the Q wanted to make room for more PC, Dyson, Vitamix, SG presentations...{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}...

SPURT1373205380.4936515 PostsRegistered 1/5/2009
On 7/7/2013 stevieb said:

I once sent an email to HSN suggesting they beef up their options in accessories, all right, in purses. I received a very nice reply that expressed appreciation for me taking the time to comment. The reply noted they want feedback from customers to enhance the shopping experience they offer... I was impressed. I can only surmise that sending a similar message to this outfit would not result in the same outcome. In fact, I'd suspect it would be akin to sending it into a black hole. While their arrogance continues to be astounding, they actually appear no longer able to back it up with top notch programming, presentations, diversified and quality merchandise or, it would seem, success, at least as far as the US operation goes.

Stevie....yep HSN apparently cares about customer feedback and customer retention is a big thing with them. .... And do you know I forgot all about it, but now that you mentioned it, but a month ago our computer applications were down at work, so we had to sit there until IT fixed the problem, so to be busy, I could still use Word, I wrote a letter to QVC via snail mail which usually gets more attention than emails. I complained about redunandant lineup, suggested they go back to UNIQUENESS, complained about the stellar website too.....and NO WORD at all....I included my address of course, email, and phone number.....Nope Mikkie and Moms dont care what the customers think.....they count their success on how many FB friends they have {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}...

Now HSN is not perfect, and I would still like a bit more diversity in their product lineup but I do notice a change and they will continue to evolve....at least they care what we, the customers, think....and I think its kinda fun they even have games on their website too....{#emotions_dlg.laugh} and they keep the special shows---like the Halloween/Fall decorating shows that QVC has done away with except for a Home With Jill (with nothing new) or VPH (which airs during the day)---but no Halloween. And HSN's Christmas Shows have different items (although its a little heavy on thomas kinkade and tapestries), but many unique items. And Special Events...at least they keep it fresh, they dont just RENAME a show and then show same old qwap!

But now Im mad about that letter I sent to Q with no reply.....{#emotions_dlg.mad}

Last edited on 7/7/2013

Last edited on 7/7/2013

SPURT1373205839.456515 PostsRegistered 1/5/2009

I think the MAJOR difference between Mindy and Claire is that Mindy is a HANDS ON person wants to hear from customers and passes the info to the buyers and programmers, while "dear" Claire just delegates all the work to the buyers and programmers that have NO customer involvement and apparently NO CLUE .......

Maybe if Claire got off her FB page or stopped tweeting she would learn somehting and have a better bottom line! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

And Mikkie is a train wreck too.....he praised Rachel Zoe (whose line they eventually dumped), brings in Kdash, 50Cent...go after that younger demographic...and obesses about the international markets....

Last edited on 7/7/2013

Last edited on 7/7/2013

stevieb1373209199.1428174 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

Spurt, the lack of response doesn't surprise me. It's as I've long said. They're arrogant. And to the extent that arrogance is ever justified, which is really isn't... they MIGHT have had cause to be at one time, but that ship has SO sailed...

lovetheboa­rdwalk1373210029.9331622 PostsRegistered 10/10/2007

HSN has replied to my comments, as well, and I don't see all the giggling and nonsense going on there.

Bobby K1373220586.161234 PostsRegistered 12/25/2010The Golden State

Hello Spurt...

Speaking of the "other" shopping channel....do I have a story for you.

About 4 months ago we were watching TV in our bedroom ...which is a smaller TV than in the family room...and we just happened to turn it to HSN and noticed they were broadcasting in a different format than previously. I decided ...what the heck....I picked up the phone and called HSN Customer Service...and told them that we were having a hard time reading their graphics....item number, price, etc. since they went to the new wide screen, HD, format. Our bedroom TV is not in that format. Anyway...the lady there was extremely pleasant...took down all my information and complaint and said she would pass it along. Then a little bit of time went by and I forgot about the phone call I made and then a few days later I turned it back to HSN and voila ...the graphics were bigger and I mean bigger and easy to read. I couldn't believe my eyes. Could my phone call made a difference. Did they actually listen to my complaint ?? And somebody actually did something about it ??

A short time passed and all of the sudden my husband said..."Why is HSN calling us on the phone"? We got message after message from some gentleman who was a Vice President of Customer Relations at HSN Corporate. Finally we returned his call and he said he was following up on our complaint about the graphics and he wanted to know if they were ok now and was there anything else he could help us with? After my husband used the smelling salts on me...I couldnt believe that they not only fixed the problem...but, also some VP kept calling continually to follow up on the complaint. He was extremely nice...bending over backwards and we rarely even shop with HSN. I did pick up a few things during the Holidays. So this is living proof that HSN does care about their customers and what they want. Moms put that in your pipe and smoke it. As a 20 year customer of QVC...If I would have called QVC....nothing would have ever happened. I have called QVC with different complaints and they give their standard answer...."we will pass it along". Then nothing ever happens. Heck...I'm still waiting for a reply to a email I sent Shawn 2 years ago ! So the moral to the story is that HSN does seem to care about their customers, their feedback and what they think. QVC ....not so much....or should I say NEVER.

Last edited on 7/7/2013

Last edited on 7/7/2013

The Bird1373289459.161742 PostsRegistered 3/17/2007

I've got to say, though, that although it seems HSN is doing well targeting that age and income range, for those just outside the range, well, there are more than a handful of things they have done to exclude us. Clearly, to me, they do not want my business any more, although it was quite "good."

Besides vitamins and an occasional Heidi pin, I rarely drop my money there, compared to before this current marketing change they've made.

And of course she wore high heels at Nike. She has to clearly show she is better than they.

All that said, QVC is more and more a low level carnival joke. Does that eyeliner look good on camera? Let's get a paintbrush from Home Depot and ratchet it up "a bit." Does that one hair extension enhance her apperance? Let's add 10 more!!! Does that hair bustle offer a nice rise behing her bangs? Let's get some from the Conehead set! Is that quirk of personality funny and attractive? Let's practice it and magnify it, make him/her do "it" on que every minute or so. No subtlety, just gross stuffing the camera lens. It makes them look desperate to me.

KDenn1373292222.36343 PostsRegistered 6/4/2010

While I have been lucky and got a canned email everytime I have sent an email. Nothing has changed, if anything it is worse.

Bobby K your post about you emailing them about the graphics and them changing and calling you is great. QVC on the other hand takes the we could care less about the customer on this. On the fb chats for the The Lisa Robertson and on Lisa's fb page I seen numerous complaints about the graphics for the show. One week Amy replied back that her and Lisa had mentioned the complaints to the producers. They said that they wanted the show to be different. With Sharon I saw where someone asked her why the camera work is so goofy on some of the shows. She said that some of the directors like be artsy on the shows and the producers give them freedom to do that.

So there are two examples of the customers being told that the two most important things about the shows, they could careless if a customer can see it. That the shows are done how the producers and directors want them done, regardless of how the customers feel.

Bobby K1373312210.861234 PostsRegistered 12/25/2010The Golden State

Hello KDenn...I was very impressed that HSN actually listened to my "graphics" complaint. I'm sure I was not the only one complaining as they had just changed the format of the screen into wide screen, Hi Def. But what really impressed me was that the VP of some dept kept calling our home continually until we returned his call. He then asked if there was anything else he could help us with. I was just impressed that a corporate person actually called here many many times. As for HSN and thier products...I just don't ever really find anything interesting to purchase from them. I have never been a big fan of their programming or products. But I did purchase a couple of nice tapestry throws at Christmas. I still really miss all the old shows that used to be on the Q.

SPURT1373398977.3736515 PostsRegistered 1/5/2009
On 7/7/2013 Bobby K said:

Hello Spurt...

Speaking of the "other" shopping channel....do I have a story for you.

About 4 months ago we were watching TV in our bedroom ...which is a smaller TV than in the family room...and we just happened to turn it to HSN and noticed they were broadcasting in a different format than previously. I decided ...what the heck....I picked up the phone and called HSN Customer Service...and told them that we were having a hard time reading their graphics....item number, price, etc. since they went to the new wide screen, HD, format. Our bedroom TV is not in that format. Anyway...the lady there was extremely pleasant...took down all my information and complaint and said she would pass it along. Then a little bit of time went by and I forgot about the phone call I made and then a few days later I turned it back to HSN and voila ...the graphics were bigger and I mean bigger and easy to read. I couldn't believe my eyes. Could my phone call made a difference. Did they actually listen to my complaint ?? And somebody actually did something about it ??

A short time passed and all of the sudden my husband said..."Why is HSN calling us on the phone"? We got message after message from some gentleman who was a Vice President of Customer Relations at HSN Corporate. Finally we returned his call and he said he was following up on our complaint about the graphics and he wanted to know if they were ok now and was there anything else he could help us with? After my husband used the smelling salts on me...I couldnt believe that they not only fixed the problem...but, also some VP kept calling continually to follow up on the complaint. He was extremely nice...bending over backwards and we rarely even shop with HSN. I did pick up a few things during the Holidays. So this is living proof that HSN does care about their customers and what they want. Moms put that in your pipe and smoke it. As a 20 year customer of QVC...If I would have called QVC....nothing would have ever happened. I have called QVC with different complaints and they give their standard answer...."we will pass it along". Then nothing ever happens. Heck...I'm still waiting for a reply to a email I sent Shawn 2 years ago ! So the moral to the story is that HSN does seem to care about their customers, their feedback and what they think. QVC ....not so much....or should I say NEVER.

Last edited on 7/7/2013

Hello again, my friend

WOW If HSN corrected the problem AND gave me a follow up phone call I would be a customer with them for life!!!

About the only thing I bought from HSN was a couple of Christmas things from the Sorelle sisters. Ive been curious about some jeans they sell that seem popular. And an inspirational jewelry line that makes me think of Steve Lavaggi that Q used to have.

SPURT1373399539.3876515 PostsRegistered 1/5/2009
On 7/8/2013 KDenn said:

While I have been lucky and got a canned email everytime I have sent an email. Nothing has changed, if anything it is worse.

Bobby K your post about you emailing them about the graphics and them changing and calling you is great. QVC on the other hand takes the we could care less about the customer on this. On the fb chats for the The Lisa Robertson and on Lisa's fb page I seen numerous complaints about the graphics for the show. One week Amy replied back that her and Lisa had mentioned the complaints to the producers. They said that they wanted the show to be different. With Sharon I saw where someone asked her why the camera work is so goofy on some of the shows. She said that some of the directors like be artsy on the shows and the producers give them freedom to do that.

So there are two examples of the customers being told that the two most important things about the shows, they could careless if a customer can see it. That the shows are done how the producers and directors want them done, regardless of how the customers feel.

Hi KDenn

So are they supposed to be a SHOPPING Channel to SELL merchandise or make the producers or directors happy????? Why dont they become filmmakers in Hollywood if they are just concerned about the "artistic" style .....SHEESH!!

I emailed a host after she asked for feedback on what viewers wanted to see in the show or any suggestions to improve the show........and all I got back was "I'm just a small cog in a big machine".....so why did she ask for suggestions and feedback....just a sales gimmick {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Page 1 of 1