A Day of Vicenza Style(R)
125 Members and 12678 Guests Online

Q Did What?

Susan Graver's background as a designer?

Started 1358211840.533 in Q Did What? | Last reply 1360723590.66 by Daysdee

Does anyone know who or where she designed for before she landed many years ago at QVC? I know she has a huge following and the QVC reps always say she was a fashion designer before she landed at QVC. I don't care for her and when I searched to see what design house she came from, I come up with nothing. I'm thinking JC Penney or Sears, maybe? She's not actually cutting edge when it comes to designs or fabrics, yet she thinks she is. Just curious, does anyone know where she got her start before QVC?

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
Sunshine K­ate1358222058.52712116 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

That's interesting as I can't find any background about her either.

Respectfully ~
Kate

BonnieBelle1358257797.4319339 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

I was always curious myself. She always says she started out with one of the best pants designers in the business, then she went on to design and sell in all the high end stores, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, etc. I know that she designs with her mother-in-law now, so I always wondered if her husband's family had the business. It's all very vague and I never found anything online about it either.

katkitty1358265293.284724 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

Yes, it is very odd no info is out there.

Maybe she was just one of many on a non descript design team working for a big named label who sold in chic stores. Just tooting her own horn so to speak, embellishing somewhat to sell herself, brand, and her goods.

Or she may have a non disclosure clause that she cannot divulge the famous name she worked for as one of many (dime a dozen) in a team under the label in some capacity.

Frankly, SG label was never in big named stores & associated with a big name designer. She was a virtual unknown until QVC brought her in & bought her line.

Frankly, I can't see any big named designer selling her 'style' pants. Did she really work for a big named desiger? If so, in what capacity? a designer? a gofer? sales rep?

Her background is wiped from the records. Did that happen when Q took over the line? Or was it always so; she came out of nowhere and Q gave her a platform?

Reiss19801358265780.4878218 PostsRegistered 4/15/2011Central NJ /Freehold// Long island NY

{#emotions_dlg.scared} She is so full of herself.... Maybe she made the whole thing up? Who knows?{#emotions_dlg.glare}

A wagging tail .... and licks a plenty.. Not to mention a buddy for life! Adopt a dog or cat ..SAVE A LIFE!

lovetheboa­rdwalk1358266722.391642 PostsRegistered 10/10/2007
Years ago Susan said on air that she designed for Bloomingdales, Nordstom, etc and her clothing designs were in their catalogs. I ordered from her first show, peachskin, and they are just as nice today. Perhaps when the Q took over her line, they deleted information?

SPURT1358270047.1176712 PostsRegistered 1/5/2009

She definitely needs to host her shows by herself....she wont let the host talk AT ALL she is there mumbling little asides as the host tries to give some product/garment info....."beautiful", "awesome", "so cute".....

And in a different thread someone shared she even mimed taking a key and using it to lock her mouth....wished I had seen that... One of the host kept quiet and let Susan do all the talking GREAT STRATEGY...Susan seemed to wear herself out...{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

From looking at her "liquid knit" she appears to be channeling the 70's....maybe she was a big designer back then....Wink

Last edited on 1/15/2013

Last edited on 1/15/2013

GO SPURS GO! SAN ANTONIO SPURS 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.

rambocat1358273200.4133976 PostsRegistered 1/16/2008

This thread aroused my curiosity so I googled her name and other than Q there is almost no information on her relating to her backgound.

what a long strange trip it's been

eyelovedogs1358273560.2859 PostsRegistered 12/27/2012

Thanks for all of your replies! I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds her background elusive, at best. Heck, I'm not even famous, and if you google my name, you'll soon know that I swam on my HS swim team...over 20 years ago! Wink

mbee1358281745.61713 PostsRegistered 4/30/2012

Many years ago her line was carried by J.L. Hudson's (now Macy's) under the name SG Sport. Back then it seemed like "old lady" clothing!

SoulSistah­Diva1358282796.7261 PostsRegistered 8/30/2012
On 1/15/2013 mbee said:

Many years ago her line was carried by J.L. Hudson's (now Macy's) under the name SG Sport. Back then it seemed like "old lady" clothing!

''old lady'' clothing

lol nothings changed then, cause it still is lol

katkitty1358291748.0174724 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007
On 1/15/2013 mbee said:

Interesting. Hudsons...I would have never guessed that. Hudson's was around for a long time, I remember my mom shopping there every now and then. I never shopped there much and it was phasing out & closing stores when I went window shopping a few times in their store. It was kind of like a Macy's if I remember correctly. Used to be a huge store downtown Detroit with 3+ floors! They carried everything back then, and I do mean everything imaginable! That one was one of the first stores to close down; sort of went the way of Penny's . Death spiral.

eyelovedogs1358292370.32759 PostsRegistered 12/27/2012

I remember Hudsons too! My parents are both from Detroit. Back in the day, I think one would have compared it to Marshall Field's of Chicago. I still have a wonderful Hudson Bay blanket (I think that is what it was called), cream colored, heavy wool with bold, primary colored stripes at the top.

Thanks for the memories. I still root for Detroit. It's not all bad, I travel there once in a while and parts of the downtown are quite nice.

Reiss19801358295802.5138218 PostsRegistered 4/15/2011Central NJ /Freehold// Long island NY
On 1/15/2013 MsHolland84 said:
On 1/15/2013 mbee said:

''old lady'' clothing

lol nothings changed then, cause it still is lol

Amen! Frumpy and dumpy.{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

A wagging tail .... and licks a plenty.. Not to mention a buddy for life! Adopt a dog or cat ..SAVE A LIFE!

Sunshine K­ate1358302533.8412116 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

For some reason the brand name SAG Harbor I see in some clothing stores reminds me of her clothing line on QVC. I wonder if there's a connection?

Respectfully ~
Kate

wowee1358363551.23415 PostsRegistered 4/9/2008phoenix

if you are part of a design team, you are a no body. the designer gets the credit. You of course can put on your resume that you worked for them and it would be verifiable, but your name would not be associated with any of the clothing as such when it went to market. same as any of the design team that designs B MAC, DOONEY, JOAN RIVERS< LINEA, any of them. They all have a design team working for them, She has a design team working for her now, She herself does not do much of the actual designing. When I was in interior design school, (way back in the 70"s) The Fashion desginers on campus used to say (and it is true) Once your name is known by the public, YOU no longer design, your team does it for you, you get the credit.

katkitty1358429421.244724 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

Susan must have been awfully young when on a design team designing for JL Hudsons. All I can find is that she is now somewhere between 45-50 yrs old. It couldn't have been for very long either.

Hudsons Detroit flagship store closed in January 1983.

As I said, she couldn't have worked designing for them very long. She must have been about 20 yrs old in '83. Shortly thereafter they were going downhill fast.

They then remained much smaller stores at a few outside shopping centers here & there and then as just a few anchor stores when indoor malls became popular. One by one they closed and then all got sold. Hudsons at one time was the second largest department store building in the United States only be surpasssed by Macy's.

pic circa 1952...25 stories tall! Had a floor for furniture, another for fine china, another for...well, you get the picture!

http://www.autolife.umd.umich.edu/Environment/E_Casestudy/Hudson.htm

little known factoid: (I didn't know)

"In 2000, Dayton–Hudson Corporation took the name of its most successful operation, becoming Target Corporation, and one year later re-branded all Hudson's and Dayton's locations with the Marshall Field's moniker, an operation purchased by Dayton–Hudson in 1990. After being briefly owned by May Department Stores, the former Hudson's stores were acquired by Federated Department Stores in 2006 and all Marshall Field's stores were incorporated into the Macy's chain."

mbee1358451343.813 PostsRegistered 4/30/2012

I believe Susan Graver is around 57-58 years old, so more like in her 40's when designing for J.L. Hudson Co.

MrsLorraine1358461058.9433995 PostsRegistered 7/5/2012
On 1/15/2013 SPURT said:

She definitely needs to host her shows by herself....she wont let the host talk AT ALL she is there mumbling little asides as the host tries to give some product/garment info....."beautiful", "awesome", "so cute".....

And in a different thread someone shared she even mimed taking a key and using it to lock her mouth....wished I had seen that... One of the host kept quiet and let Susan do all the talking GREAT STRATEGY...Susan seemed to wear herself out...{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

From looking at her "liquid knit" she appears to be channeling the 70's....maybe she was a big designer back then....Wink

Last edited on 1/15/2013

She certainly looks old enough. (I'll say it myself: "Meow!")

BonnieBelle1358461594.86719339 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

Susan looks fantastic for her age.

MrsLorraine1358461714.0473995 PostsRegistered 7/5/2012

It depends on how old she actually is. Does anyone know for sure?

BonnieBelle1358462447.02319339 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

According to the info I found online, she is 59.

eyelovedogs1358472282.459 PostsRegistered 12/27/2012

Interesting. I couldn't find anything about her background online, let alone her age. She's not for me but I know alot of you ladies adore her and her fashion. If she is 59, she does look great. Kudos to her. It also means she had her daughter as she was pushing 40.

katkitty1358517203.244724 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007
On 1/17/2013 mbee said:

I believe Susan Graver is around 57-58 years old, so more like in her 40's when designing for J.L. Hudson Co.

If that age is bracket is correct, She was already 44-45 when JL Hudsons closed their doors (circa 2000, on all their remaining stores and were now rebranded (bought by) Marshall Fields.

Since there is so little online info on her (strange in itself), we're all left guessing as to just how old she really is and when & how long she really was on a design team of any kind! If she really was! lol.

lara-baker1358535791.497228 PostsRegistered 9/5/2011

Before so many of the clothing manufacturers here had to downsize or simply close their doors due to the China & Asian manufacturing competition, there were a lot of manufacturers in NY, NJ, RI, etc. The garment district in NYC was a completely different place back then. There were designers that worked for the manufacturers and usually they would design a specific garment type, i.e. pants. That is where Susan started. She and her family lived in NYC until last year, I think. I don't know the name of the manufacturer, but they were known for making the best pants - quality, fit and design. Back then, these manufacturers contracted with the large department stores and made clothing under different labels for each dept. store. Susan's designs (had different labels for different stores) were in the higher end area of the dept. stores. I believe the manufacturer had her clothes in Macy's, Nordstrum, Bloomingdales, and Saks - not sure about Neimans and I think, but I'm not sure, that they were also in the Belk stores in the Southeast.

The whole business was different back then. I don't know exactly how Susan started at the Q, but she was recognized by the movers and shakers in the manufacturing business and the execs at the major dept. stores.

CAROLINA21359230940.4031168 PostsRegistered 5/28/2010
On 1/15/2013 lovetheboardwalk said: Years ago Susan said on air that she designed for Bloomingdales, Nordstom, etc and her clothing designs were in their catalogs. I ordered from her first show, peachskin, and they are just as nice today. Perhaps when the Q took over her line, they deleted information?

I also have one of her peachskin skirts and blouse in ivory. Still beautiful.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next