TSV(R) Preview
133 Members and 17627 Guests Online

Q Did What?

QVC Mall of America Store Closing!

Started 1300819800.5 in Q Did What? | Last reply 1312514313.94 by Sunshine Kate

I sent my husband to pick up the TSV at the Mall of America store (which they did not have) and the clerk told him that the store was closing on Thursday for good. Their lease ran out and they are not renewing it and are not moving to a new location in the area. I am totally bummed! It was so handy to run over there for TSV's and other items and I could save the S&H charge. They were always busy so I don't believe it was lack of business?

Page 1 of 2
depglass1300819927.9424293 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I remember how hard they worked to get that store going, sticking hosts out there for weeks on end, who obviously were bored silly. It was good advertising even if they weren't making money. Maybe the whole country knows who QVC is now.

Huntersmom1300819932.31582 PostsRegistered 11/3/2007

I know, isn't this a bummer? I always loved just being able to stop by and try stuff before I decided to buy. I checked the Q's website, and they're not listed as a "retail store" anymore either. That's when I knew for sure they were closing.

Beth

Huntersmom1300820049.5771582 PostsRegistered 11/3/2007

It's interesting though, b/c at least in the summer, that place was packed with people from other states and countries who watch QVC. It was fun to go in there and listen to people's accents, and hear them tell stories to the salespeople, etc.

Beth

Sylanne1300821275.2171919 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006

Guess The Mall of America has raised QVC's rent space.

I live very close, a doable drive to the Frazier Pa. & Prices Corner Del. QVC outlets. Both are located in a very run down strip type retail stores.

I also like to visit the Rockvale outlets in Lancaster where QVC also has an outlet store: no doubt if the rent is raised there, this store will also close.

QVC wants to make money; but when it comes time to spend-----they pull out.

Barbthesho­pper1300825015.35105 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007

I can understand if they leave the Mall of America because the rent is too high but I just wish they could move somewhere else in the area. There are certainly plenty of empty retail spaces to choose from.

sandy531300825908.033926 PostsRegistered 1/10/2008
On 3/22/2011 Sylanne said:

I live very close, a doable drive to the Frazier Pa. & Prices Corner Del. QVC outlets. Both are located in a very run down strip type retail stores.

I also like to visit the Rockvale outlets in Lancaster where QVC also has an outlet store: no doubt if the rent is raised there, this store will also close.

The QVC store at the Mall of America is not (I guess I should say was not) an outlet store. It only had new merchandise and had very nice decor.

Charmed~Je­nna1300826032.4320023 PostsRegistered 3/9/2010~RipkaNistaVille~

WoW, surprised 2 read this ~ {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

~ Modern Classics with a Twist ~

mnmom1300831470.991128 PostsRegistered 1/28/2005

Oh, I am disappointed to hear this! I live about 12 minutes away from the MOA and although I don't get there as often as I'd like (NEVER on weekends eeeek!), I always stopped in the QVC store. There are many things I bought there that I would not have bought online. Getting to see the items in person and/or try them on made a big difference. Sometimes I could buy one of an item there instead of a set, too.

Very sad.

AuntieSoap1300837229.917751 PostsRegistered 11/5/2006PA, close to G-burg

If, the MOA is like a lot of Mall's I can understand why they are closing... Our Mall policy is: at the end of the month you have to turn in your receipts and then they figure out the extra rental cost... It's all about money....

deeva1300838310.442116 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005stuck in the middle

Wow, I hate to see this store close. I've saved a lot on shipping charges by shopping at this store.

DrPhil1300886736.4072175 PostsRegistered 12/2/2008

Their merchandise is so cheap now it looks really bad in person. At least on TV special lenses and camera angles can make anything look good. I bet people were seeing that junk up close and thinking QVC was a junk store and it hurt online sales.

I know I have been to their outlets and stuff that looked fine on air really looks like garbage in person. Very depressing.

Last edited on 8/3/2011

"I'm not bipolar but biwinning." - Charlie Sheen

MarthaStew­ardess1300888446.4037362 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006
On 3/23/2011 DrPhil said:

Their merchandise is so cheap now it looks really bad in person. At least on TV special lenses and camera angles can make anything look good. I bet people were seeing that junk up close and thinking QVC was a junk store and it hurt online sales.

I know I have been to their outlets and stuff that looked fine on air really looks like garbage in person. Very depressing.

I agree with you. I remember going into the Savor store that they had and seeing all the jewelry together, just made it all look really cheap and fake. Maybe one little piece at home looks differently, but all together it does look bad. Same for the dispalys in the QVC store at MOA. I did like seeing some other products in there, like the make up lines I use (Laura Geller, BE).

DeltaOne1300916485.8332204 PostsRegistered 12/19/2006

I'm sure it all boils down to profits. I was surprised they had a retail store, actually, because their salespitch was always their merchandise was less expensive because of "no overhead or middleman" costs. But a retail store would have a ton of added costs, so I'm not surprised it is closing.

Reggie31300923600.667620 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

Remember when they first opened and all the hoopla! I thought the store was big until I visited. It was pretty small but it sure was fun to shop at when I got to visit MOA a few times. I heard one of the main reasons is becuz of facebook, twitter, and all the other technilogical ways to find out about products/info that the store has lost a lot of business. It was not an outlet store...it diplayed daily TSV's and a few of each main brands to try. Too bad. Times sure have changed for those of us who have been with the Q since the beginning!

lovesrecess1300930782.38714055 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas

I have seen a ton of QVC brand clothing at Tuesday Morning.....it is stuff I would never, ever consider buying or wearing once I saw it in person.....they are better off keeping the stuff on camera with filtered lenses....some of the stuff is made of such cheap fabric and is so poorly made that it was embarrassing....and then I remember the prices for this junk online and I am amazed.

Last edited on 3/23/2011

Last edited on 3/23/2011

bazzy1300932133.8271530 PostsRegistered 11/1/2007
On 3/23/2011 DrPhil said:

This week as I exited one of the outlets, I saw a woman and her companion rolling their eyes and saying how surprised they were at what they had seen and not in a good way.

I see that a lot, but it doesn't deter me from going to the store because if you know what to look for and are a discerning shopper with time to spare you can get some great bargains and I have and do nearly every time I go.

rxrep10121300932964.303845 PostsRegistered 8/12/2006Yardley, Pa

ITA. I often visit Q's outlet in Fraser and their regular store in West Chester, as I've been called to participate for many focus groups of them. Most of their clothes are horrible as well as Lori Greiner's stuff....very cheaply made :(

Sunshine K­ate1300989601.96712364 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

I'm surprised to hear this. I wish QVC would close their online shopping and open just brick & mortar stores all over the country. That would suit me better. They should think about it with postage increasing frequently.

Respectfully ~
Kate

Andrewcoco1301053074.573156 PostsRegistered 8/30/2010

They should take some sort of meter that measures lead levels and walk through one of those stores.

I bet that tiny MOA store cost a chunk of change in rent.

Don't give me no hand me down shoes.

Chlemma1301083226.16358 PostsRegistered 6/13/2009
On 3/22/2011 Sylanne said:

Wow Sylanne, I don't know about the Frazier store but take exception to your description of the Prices Corner outlet. PC is not a "very run down strip type" location but actually a large shopping center with Sears and JCPenney along with many other stores. Actually, the only thing run down is the Q store - it is always messy and way too small lol.

LA Trainer1301116470.841511 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004Los Angeles, CA

Shortly after the store opened, I visited a couple of times when I had a long layover between flights in Minneapolis. It was interesting to see so many of the on-air items in person, and it was a fun way to pass the time.

Sorry to hear that it's closing. Sounds like a cost-cutting measure.

American College of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer

A Friend1301117315.833131 PostsRegistered 3/5/2009

I am also very unhappy about this store closing. I liked to buy philosophy products there, especially the large size bottles so they wouldn't have to be shipped. Whenever I went in there they seemed to have a lot of people purchasing items, usually many items.

I also think this store drew people in. I know quite a few ladies from out of the area that made a point of going in there...like a tourist attraction.

The Mall of America was a perfect place for this store. It will be missed!!!

jetts_mom1301117745.052656 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010

I'm disappointed, too. We are going to Minneapolis tomorrow and a stop to the QVC store had been part of the original plans (and the ONLY stop in the MOA). Usually that's the only place I care to go there anymore.

You were born an original - don't die a copy.

kachina6241301124260.816619 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
On 3/23/2011 upsidedown said:

I have seen a ton of QVC brand clothing at Tuesday Morning.....it is stuff I would never, ever consider buying or wearing once I saw it in person.....they are better off keeping the stuff on camera with filtered lenses....some of the stuff is made of such cheap fabric and is so poorly made that it was embarrassing....and then I remember the prices for this junk online and I am amazed.

Last edited on 3/23/2011

I buy literally all of my clothing from catalogs, TV and some favorite web sites. I recently got a shipment of four tops from a well-known catalog. The fabric was thin and filled with sizing. I imagine after they're washed they'll look like limp dish rags. I paid about $49 for each of these shirts. I couldn't help but compare them to some tees that I just got from QVC at less than half the price. They are the 95/5% cotton spandex that most of the shirts are but I know from experience that after washing, they'll still look brand new with little or no shrinkage. I've got Denim & Co tees that I've been wearing for 5 or 6 years. Say what you want, but for the price I don't think you can beat the Q. When I got around better, I was a constant shopper at Dillard's and the things I got there were of no better quality than what I get at QVC.

JillA1302724299.3671 PostsRegistered 4/13/2011

I am saddened by the closing of QVC at MOA. I would shop there every single time I went to MOA despite my daughters rolling their eyes at mom going to QVC once again... It's so much better seeing the products in person. I KNEW I should have bought one more of those clothes hanging racks the last time I was in there. I will definitely be buying less from the Q due to shipping charges.

Page 1 of 2