Super Contributor

For those of you concerned about parabens and the problems they can cause.

Amazing Grace Firming body emulsion, 3 in one, the Old Pure Grace body butter that I don't see any longer and likely a few other products still have parabens in them. Read through the ingredients list before you buy. I bought some Pure Grace body butter online I had to return as it had parabens in it. Just an FYI for those who are concerned about them. I'd hate to see someone spend a good deal on a set and find they were full of parabens.

Super Contributor

I have been doing research on this as well and have found AG to be the only one with parabens still in the ingredient deck of the butter and the emulsion. This is super disappointing to me, so I'll stick with PG for my body butter and layer AG EDP over it.

Valued Contributor

From a post on skin care addiction (reddit)

"The original study that took place in 2004, which started the controversy regarding Parabens, now holds no valid argument about Parabens being cancer causing. The FDA, the National Cancer Institute and the American Cancer Society have all come forward, publicly stating that there is no proof of a linkage between Parabens in skin care products and cancer. The scientific reason is that Parabens do not act as estrogen disputers. Once they are applied to the skin, they become a metabolite, which is non-estrogenic. It is my belief that any skin care company that continues to spread this misinformation, despite all of the recent conclusions resulting from further research, is using fear tactics to persuade the consumer to purchase their product. Beware."

Honored Contributor

There is no credible proof that parabens cause any problems whatsoever.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Thanks, but I'm not worried about parabens.

Super Contributor
This is not a natural line. It is full of chemicals. Anyone who buys it, is just not concerned with that. Obviously. All you have to do is look at the ingredient list.
Honored Contributor
On 11/3/2014 gazelle77 said: This is not a natural line. It is full of chemicals. Anyone who buys it, is just not concerned with that. Obviously. All you have to do is look at the ingredient list.

I don't buy the product, but I have no problem with "chemicals" in skin care. "Chemical" does not at all necessarily mean harmful; and "natural" (whatever that means) does not at all necessarily indicate safe or effective.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor
On 11/3/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 11/3/2014 gazelle77 said: This is not a natural line. It is full of chemicals. Anyone who buys it, is just not concerned with that. Obviously. All you have to do is look at the ingredient list.

I don't buy the product, but I have no problem with "chemicals" in skin care. "Chemical" does not at all necessarily mean harmful; and "natural" (whatever that means) does not at all necessarily indicate safe or effective.

I agree. Each person needs to decide for him or herself.
Super Contributor
On 11/3/2014 gazelle77 said:

That is why I said IF you are concerned about parabens. Me, I don't need to risk hormone problems so I'll skip the Amazing Grace Products and stick with just the EDT

Honored Contributor
On 11/3/2014 WillEscapeCAsoon said:
On 11/3/2014 gazelle77 said:

That is why I said IF you are concerned about parabens. Me, I don't need to risk hormone problems so I'll skip the Amazing Grace Products and stick with just the EDT

Yes, you did make it clear that your post was for those who are concerned about parabens. But it was your "and the problems they can cause" that I think generated a couple of the replies, including mine.

I just think it can't hurt to include the point that no credible data has ever proved that they cause problems.

Of course it's up to each of us. But more and more it seems that we're basing our decisions on rumor and anecdote rather than on facts. I'd hate to see more and more things demonized forever based on misinformation found on fear-mongering and often very sketchy sites or by those who often have an ulterior motive or agenda of their own.

One of the downsides of all this is that we may just end up with preservatives less tested for safety and efficacy than are parabens.