Honored Contributor

Supersize Lotions - ? Shelf-Life

I have the auto-delivery program for IG & AG that's all fine but I had received the a/d about 6 months ago and didn't open the lotion because I still had 1/2 bottle left from other shipment.

I used the body washes right away.

Today I opened the lotion bottles and UGH.......they smell terrible and OLD and greasy smell! They were stored in my closet no where near light, etc.

I looked all over the bottle and shipping box nothing noted for "expiration date". I know I rec'd them end-December, 2013 or January, 2014. They don't have a processed date on them either. I can't anything at their site or Q which talks about expiration for this product.

I just know they stink and even putting some on my hand they didn't smell any better. Any ideas about shelf life?

Think I need to toss (big waste of $$$$) and cancel this a/d for both bottles and go to body wash only!

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Supersize Lotions - ? Shelf-Life

I usually go through the body lotion fairly quickly, it probably takes 5-6 months for me to finish a 32 oz. I've had no issues within that amount of time. However, it takes me far longer to finish 32 oz of shower gel, and I have noticed that they do "turn".

In addition, I stopped buying supersizes of the MDW and Purity, because they both get "gunky" towards the bottom of the bottle. I enjoy using all these products, but feel that the supersizes are wasteful because they don't have the longevity.

In the future, I will only purchase the standard size of Philosophy products.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I have never had one do that unopened, but, I only bought the super size in lotion once and learned that they just don't stay nice long enough for me to use them up.

Same with the big 8oz size of Hope in a Jar. It gets nasty and separates before I can use it all.

I can use up a 32oz shower gel, but I wont buy super size in anything else.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/11/2014 Colonel Meow said:

I usually go through the body lotion fairly quickly, it probably takes 5-6 months for me to finish a 32 oz. I've had no issues within that amount of time. However, it takes me far longer to finish 32 oz of shower gel, and I have noticed that they do "turn".

In addition, I stopped buying supersizes of the MDW and Purity, because they both get "gunky" towards the bottom of the bottle. I enjoy using all these products, but feel that the supersizes are wasteful because they don't have the longevity.

I don't have a problem with Purity going bad, but, I have noticed that a more standard size from philosophy.com is a little thicker and a little darker yellow in color. Makes me think that the super size is a bit watered down.

BTW I love your nicSmile

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

I found this from a previous post:

"thank you for contacting philosophy! in general, philosophy products are good for up to two years if unopened, and one year after opening (if the product is not older than two years). this will serve as your best indication of the product's life!

please contact us at 1.800.568.3151 if you have any additional questions. we are happy to assist you by phone monday-friday, 6 a.m.-5 p.m. (mst). thank you for your interest and have a beautiful day!"

But in general, for ANY body lotion there should be an expiration on it. Most lotions have a little icon (similar to a can with an open lid) and a number with M next to it. M stands for months, and he number is how many months it is good for after exposing it to oxygen. (For instance, 12M would mean that it is good for 12 months after you open it). However there can be differences when it comes to lotions that have self-tanners or have other ingredients in it that can naturally effect shelf life. Most lotions last 12-36 months, in general.

Look for this icon on your philosophy bottle, it should be on the back, if not it is underneath.

Super Contributor

On 7/11/2014 betteb said:

I usually go through the body lotion fairly quickly, it probably takes 5-6 months for me to finish a 32 oz. I've had no issues within that amount of time. However, it takes me <em>far</em> longer to finish 32 oz of shower gel, and I have noticed that they do "turn".

In addition, I stopped buying supersizes of the MDW and Purity, because they both get "gunky" towards the bottom of the bottle. I enjoy using all these products, but feel that the supersizes <em>are</em> wasteful because they don't have the longevity.

I don't have a problem with Purity going bad, but, I have noticed that a more standard size from philosophy.com is a little thicker and a little darker yellow in color. Makes me think that the super size is a bit watered down.

BTW I love your nicSmile

Thanks!!!

Honored Contributor

On 7/11/2014 CaitlinH said:

"thank you for contacting philosophy! in general, philosophy products are good for up to two years if unopened, and one year after opening (if the product is not older than two years). this will serve as your best indication of the product's life!

please contact us at 1.800.568.3151 if you have any additional questions. we are happy to assist you by phone monday-friday, 6 a.m.-5 p.m. (mst). thank you for your interest and have a beautiful day!"

But in general, for ANY body lotion there should be an expiration on it. Most lotions have a little icon (similar to a can with an open lid) and a number with M next to it. M stands for months, and he number is how many months it is good for after exposing it to oxygen. (For instance, 12M would mean that it is good for 12 months after you open it). However there can be differences when it comes to lotions that have self-tanners or have other ingredients in it that can naturally effect shelf life. Most lotions last 12-36 months, in general.

Look for this icon on your philosophy bottle, it should be on the back, if not it is underneath.

thank you just looked on both bottles - they have 24m (which I think means 2 years) - anyway they both STINK so in the garbage they are going! Thanks again never saw it until you pointed it out!

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/11/2014 betteb said:

I usually go through the body lotion fairly quickly, it probably takes 5-6 months for me to finish a 32 oz. I've had no issues within that amount of time. However, it takes me <em>far</em> longer to finish 32 oz of shower gel, and I have noticed that they do "turn".

In addition, I stopped buying supersizes of the MDW and Purity, because they both get "gunky" towards the bottom of the bottle. I enjoy using all these products, but feel that the supersizes <em>are</em> wasteful because they don't have the longevity.

BTW I love your nicSmile

Thanks!!!

Did you choose your nic for this Colonel Meow?

Super Contributor

On 7/11/2014 CaitlinH said:

CaitlinH, thanks so much. I've seen that little logo and never had close to a clue what it meant! I now feel smarter..... ;-)

Super Contributor

betteb, yes - that's my namesake! I took it in memory of the original Colonel Meow. {#emotions_dlg.wub}