Super Contributor

AHHHHHH! I smelled sunshine grace again! I'm really confused now! My first test at ULTA had me believing I didn't like it! Remember, at ULTA I opened a fragrance/lotion combo and helped myself to a test--so, it was the VERY first spray out of the bottle.

This time, I was at Sephora (had to drive 100 miles to get to a Nordstrom & Sephora!) and I searched the store and found no open tester. So, I put my focus on smelling Bobbi Brown Beach that seems to be getting positive attention--found it! Sprayed myself and saturated a paper stick! Then, right on the SAME shelf one rack down is sunshine grace! I saturated a paper stick with it but, didn't spray myself because I was covered with "beach". Out of the bottle, the two smell different. BUT, I pulled the two sticks out at home and guess what...I had a VERY hard time telling the difference between them AND, I didn't get the "cheap floral" scent I took away with my first trial.

My guess, the first spray out of a bottle isn't a good one???

Valued Contributor

I think that's definitely it, patti. I remember the first time I smelled eternal grace (which is my all time favorite) the first spray out of the bottle smelled a bit like citronella. gross. but with a few sprays, the actual scent is what came out. I had the same experience w/ living grace when I tried it last summer (and I think w/ summer grace as well. both of these at Sephora). and I ordered this last tsv in it and my first spritz out of the bottle smelled like a men's cologne or deodorant in some kind of mountain air kind of scent and it wasn't until the dry down that I started to like it (though, to be fair, I think that with living grace in general I like it best once it starts to dry down because I have had a similar experience applying the wbc and the lotion). now, when I spray from the bottle it smells a lot closer to the dry down scent than it did when I first opened it. maybe the fragrances need the chance to "open up", like when you decant or aerate a bottle of wine before drinking it to let it open up?

Honored Contributor

I've tested scents before where the scent smelled ""off"" but then when smelling it again somewhere else it smelled totally different.

Super Contributor

Thanks, girls! I'm so glad to hear that I am not the only one who has had this experience!

Everyone needs to take note: DO NOT JUDGE A FRAGRANCE ON THE FIRST FEW SPRAYS OUT OF A BRAND NEW BOTTLE!

Now...I need to get myself some of my own sunshine grace! Smile

Regular Contributor

Girls, I don't know how many of you do this, maybe ALL of you do, but I learned a long time ago with TOVA Signature to vigorously shake my spray bottles of scent before spraying on me. I find that the scent seems much more even and seems to last longer on me. It's logical that doing that could eliminate that first spray out of the bottle phenomenon.

Call me crazy, but it works for me!

Super Contributor
On 4/16/2014 streetangel said:

Girls, I don't know how many of you do this, maybe ALL of you do, but I learned a long time ago with TOVA Signature to vigorously shake my spray bottles of scent before spraying on me. I find that the scent seems much more even and seems to last longer on me. It's logical that doing that could eliminate that first spray out of the bottle phenomenon.

Call me crazy, but it works for me!

I never thought to shake my Tova, but I will next time. Thanks

Respected Contributor

streetangel .... I always shake my bottles of perfumes and mists too! I guess I go with the idea that it will mix it up evenly ... and stays on longer, like you said.