Frequent Contributor

Philosophy "Purity" Facial Cleanser/ etc.

I've been a Philosophy user, intermittently, for several years.

I have a 32 oz. size of Purity Facial Cleanser/Toner.

It doesn't seem the same as the product I used to use. The Purity stings when it's near the eyes, and the cleansing is minimal. Isn't it supposed to be a make-up remover and also a toner and a cleanser? I know that Christina Carlino sold the company a few years ago. Does anyone know where the products are manufactured and distributed ?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Philosophy ""Purity"" Facial Cleanser/ etc.

Coty Cosmetics bought philosophy and many of the formulas have changed. I've heard several complaints about purity's effectiveness...and Amazing Grace is no longer the wonderful fragrance it once was. It's a dang shame...

Super Contributor

I purchased more of the Purity from the Q here late last year. Feels and works the same on me... still loving it. Smiley Surprised)

Regular Contributor

Everyone once in a while this same kind of post pops up. The funny thing is you all mimmick each other almost exactly. I love purity and use it daily. It cleans beautifully for me.

Frequent Contributor

Anything that gets close to the eye area is going to sting. Shampoo, soap, will all do the same thing. I haven't noticed any real changes to Purity and I have been using it for years. Have I ended up with a bottle that might have been from a bad batch, yes and it was just a water down situation, but the quality of the product is still there and does what it is supposed to do.

It also depends on the amount of product you pump into your hand as well.
For the Cleanser one pump to one pump and a quarter will do fine) and if you use the cleansing gel, something along the size of a nickel typically works.

Super Contributor

I've been using it for more than 10 years -- I don't experience any difference.... same as the first time I used it. If they actually changed something, Idon't notice it.... and as long as it still works (for me, that is) I have no complaints.

Respected Contributor

It still works well for me. I use other cleansers too, but love to travel with the 3 oz. size.

I got my BFF loving it as well!

Super Contributor

I have been using it since its inception and see no changes. What it could be is that people's skin change as we get older and different products we used to use no longer work. I have found that with different moisturizers that worked years ago and no longer do anything....

Frequent Contributor

This is a lovely PH balanced cleanser. I love the fact that it does not dry out my skin, nor do I have to use a toner afterwards. I don't know ... maybe you just got a bad batch like the other OP said.

Respected Contributor

Purity's ingredient deck actually did change a few years ago, right around the time The Carlyle Group acquired Philosophy (before Coty purchased Philosophy). A bunch of people contacted Philosophy, and they confirmed the one ingredient change. Sometimes one ingredient change won't make a difference to some skin types, but can cause reactions to other skin types.

Philosophy has always mentioned you could safely use Purity on and near your eyes, and without any stinging. It never bothered my eyes when I used it (and I used it directly on my eyes to remove mascara), but I do think it's possible it could bother some eyes.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥