Frequent Contributor

Soapy, Chemical smell in shower gels!

Am I the only one with this complaint? This is getting worse and worse for me. Its very inconsistent with fragrance. Every so often I will get a bottle that just smells so bad. Nothing like it is supposed to smell. Just a bad chemical soapy smell. Something I imagine you could get at a dollar store. My latest waste of money, Falling In Love. Everything else in kit I love, perfume, body butter ..etc. Shower gel? Must throw out. Also, Spicy Eggnog this year, horrible as well. I am going to call Philosophy and tell them. I guess no more for me!And its not just since Coty took over, I once had an ice cream flavor with same problem years ago. Help!

Regular Contributor

Re: Soapy, Chemical smell in shower gels!

I started noticing a plastic-like smell in some of their shower gels a few years ago. Probably around the same time, I noticed a difference in Purity. I stopped purchasing it online. If I pick up any Phil at all, I do it in person at Sephora, where I ask at the check-out counter if I can break the seal & smell it before I pay for it.

Contributor

debbie14 try putting it in the fridge for a few days. It always works for me to take away that chemical smell that I always assume is coming from the plastic bottle. Now I just automatically refrigerate all beauty products I order online and have not encountered that plastic-like smell since. Once I received a 32 ounce AG shower gel and it smelled plastic-like but after a few days of being refrigerated it just smelled like my beloved AG again.

Respected Contributor

Could it be they changed the type of bottle they use, meaning the chemicals in the bottle, or you could be more sensitive to smells?

Trusted Contributor

I have purchased several new shower gels in the last year (Peppermint Stick, Wild Blackberry Blossom, Pure Grace) and I haven't noticed anything chemical-like about the scent. However, I have sometimes noticed a plastic-like scent coming out of those uber- bottles. With the exception of Wild Blackberry Blossom, I no longer purchase those. Other than that, no problems here.

Honored Contributor

I don't have this issue with Philosophy but I do have it with bottled water. I bought a case of bottled water (Target/generic brand) at Target and had to give it away. I could not stand that bottle near my nose. The plastic had a nasty smell.

I stick with Deer Park as much as possible.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

My last bottle of Amazing Grace lotion smelled like a new plastic shower curtain. Yuck.

Honored Contributor

No plastic smell in anything I have received.
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, I am going to try putting it in the refrigerator. And, I also had that same idea, h2be, I will go to Sephora and smell it right there, if bad, return immediately! LOL! Its so unpredictable. Some are fine.

Super Contributor

The last TSV I bought (the one with the body cream) in Unconditional Love was the same way. Very chemical in smell. It's been in my shower for a while so if it was a smell from the plastic, it would be gone by now, I would think. I was very disappointed. I did change the scent to Living Grace and delayed until the end of the month. I'm hoping it will be better.