TSV(R) Preview
22 Members and 8844 Guests Online

philosophy

What does baby grace smell like - really?

Started 1372453397.227 in philosophy | Last reply 1377197841.61 by Viv14

I really want to try baby grace but I am so afraid it will smell like baby powder. I really really do no like baby powder type fragrances!

Can someone clue me in? I am so sick of Philosophy presentations where they describe their fragrances as smelling like a "warm hug" etc etc. What does that even mean? Why can't they list the actual notes of the fragrance so I know what to expect?

I'm just scared of ordering it in fear of baby powder scent! Even light baby powder.

For reference the philosophy fragrances I do like are AG, PG, Field of Flowers, Summer - those are the ones I have smelled. The falling line is ok too - not my favorite but it is ok. I cannot stand Inner Grace or this other one they for some reason sent me a free full sized perfume of a couple of years ago - and I can't think of the name of it now off hand but it isn't even available on their website anymore - it came out about 2 years ago I think. It came in a tall bottle and was an amber color - very different from the other graces and it was horrible.

So with that info do you think I should give baby a try? I just ordered the TSV in pure and I was going to switch it to something else for the next shipment and I was trying to decide between baby and the old standby (AG).

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
LabLuver1372454362.827888 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009Ohio
I ordered Baby Grace once but sent it back. It was too strong of a scent and it gave my asthma fits. If it had been a soft powdery floral, I probably would have liked it. I thought the scent was more of a strong gardenia floral. Just didn't care for it. Everyone is different, though, so you may like it. I agree with your opinion of Inner Grace, I thought it was hideous. Love AG, PG, FIL and UL. Summer Grace is my all time favorite. Hopefully others can give their thoughts too.

What the caterpillar thinks is the end...the butterfly knows is only the beginning.

maddiecat1372454762.3335548 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006

I wear Jo Malone fragrances during the day, but I like to spritz on one of these before bed:

Bobbi Brown Bath

Baby Grace

Inner Grace

I find the above scents to be very calming and the "aromatheraphy" helps me sleep better. I don't care for Amazing Grace at all.

Lillyrose1372455302.993902 PostsRegistered 2/14/2008

I do like baby grace. To my nose, it does smell a lot like baby powder

just bee1372457907.2314378 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico

I feel your pain. I use to post extensively, trying to discover the secret of baby grace. Thread after thread of oohs and ahhs, but I still had no idea what to expect. I used to break down and order the shower gels to sample a fragrance, but I finally just went ahead and ordered a baby grace spritz.

Like you, I am a fan of pure grace. When I ordered the baby grace spritz I picked up a bottle of inner grace. I will never like inner grace. I've mixed it with pure grace to avoid pouring it down the drain. And I think you had a sample of You are Divine.

Let me preface this with this: I hate florals and florals hate me back. Amazing grace, therefore, does not work for me. I also work on an infant unit. Baby grace does not smell like babies, nor does it remind me of powdery baby products.

It is floral. It is not subtle. I don't smell synthetic floral when I sniff it -- it actually smells like flowers. Big flowers. When people say gardenia I understand what they're trying to say.

There's a slight peppery note in it. All I can say is that I don't hate it, yet I have never committed to more than the spritz.

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

theblonde71372463075.953751 PostsRegistered 3/4/2011

just bee is right on...there is nothing subtle about Baby Grace. I have the EDT and it smells nothing like baby powder or babies to me, but rather a strong, very sweet, one note floral. That said, there is something comforting about it to wear to bed every now and then, but it will never leave the house.

champagnep­oodle1372464079.5435798 PostsRegistered 9/26/2011

Its horrible. Very strong and flowery, but NOT a good flower, its like heavy funeral parlor smell, if that makes any sense.

just bee1372464328.8214378 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico
On 6/28/2013 theblonde7 said:

just bee is right on...there is nothing subtle about Baby Grace. I have the EDT and it smells nothing like baby powder or babies to me, but rather a strong, very sweet, one note floral. That said, there is something comforting about it to wear to bed every now and then, but it will never leave the house.

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

That's hysterical! I was going to write that I never wear it in public, but you said it for me. It's a bit bold for me in its "floralness."

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

amyb1372466014.4771717 PostsRegistered 9/23/2007
I agree with others here. I finally gave BG a try a few years ago, but returned it immediately. I couldn't believe how something called "Baby Grace" from a company known for their subtle, non-perfumey fragrances was so strong. I'm not sensitive to colognes or fragrances but I was to this...which to me smelled like old school powder laundry detergent! Really strong powdery, sweet, one note...just awful and harsh smelling. Like you were sniffing a box of Ivory Snow! ********************** I agree with OP on two notes: I too get frustrated with the presentations on Q for fragrances where all they do is describe a mood of a fragrance....you are right..."a warm hug?" What DOES that mean, in terms of how it smells?! Nothing. I like when they break it down on screen, layer by layer (like the food pyramid only with fragrance notes) with descriptions of the notes in it. I've seen that with other fragrances on Q or HSN, but never with Philosophy. Also, re: Summer Grace...I was recently on the QVC tour, visited the store, and while there tried Summer Grace. I loved it and wanted to buy it, only I could not get it to last. I sprayed it several times before taking the tour but it dissipated on me almost immediately, so I didn't buy it. It was such a nice fragrance.

santorini1372466283.1337092 PostsRegistered 1/26/2007

This is funny. I don't smell flowers at all. I smell cotton candy and baby powder. I love it.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

just bee1372467393.03314378 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico
On 6/28/2013 santorini said:

This is funny. I don't smell flowers at all. I smell cotton candy and baby powder. I love it.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I sprayed some on my wrist earlier, it has dried down, and I can detect what you're describing. But the peppery note is even stronger now. It's the peppery note that saves it for me. Purity made simple used to have a strong pepper note and, years ago, I bought a bottle of FIL shower gel that was extremely peppery. That might have been an accident because I've never heard anyone describe FIL as peppery, but it was one of the best 3-in-1s ever.

Tissyanne1372470720.5633524 PostsRegistered 12/6/2012
BG is a favorite of mine. To me it is a soft scent, not floral in the sense of flowery. I think Field of Flowers smell flowery, and I don't care for it at all. I also do not detect baby powder in BG. I like AG, FIL, UL, and to me IG has a powder note. I don't like PG spray fragrance, but like the shower cream. So I think you will just need to order a small spray fragrance because we all like different scents. I also like SG, but not the FIL Summer, too perfumy.

I love my family, which includes two cats.

Tissyanne1372470942.923524 PostsRegistered 12/6/2012
To add, I would say BG has a subtle sweetness to it. Very subtle.

I love my family, which includes two cats.

i like cel­ery1372473841.7175261 PostsRegistered 6/23/2010

To me, it's very sweet, and although I'm not reminded of baby powder, it does remind me of baby lotion. I find it to be somewhat strong, and it can cause a headache for me. The spritz is surprisingly strong, IMHO. BG does have a large fanbase on QVC, though.

ctinaw, Maybe you can try buying a small size from ebay, before it's time to switch scents in the TSV.

Last edited on 6/28/2013

Last edited on 6/28/2013

Life is beauty full.

Cardamom1372474207.5776847 PostsRegistered 6/24/2006
It reminds me of pure grace but sweeter. It doesn't smell floral to me. Just clean with a little sweetness.

ctinaw1372478321.2871554 PostsRegistered 3/7/2005
On 6/28/2013 just bee said:

I feel your pain. I use to post extensively, trying to discover the secret of baby grace. Thread after thread of oohs and ahhs, but I still had no idea what to expect. I used to break down and order the shower gels to sample a fragrance, but I finally just went ahead and ordered a baby grace spritz.

Like you, I am a fan of pure grace. When I ordered the baby grace spritz I picked up a bottle of inner grace. I will never like inner grace. I've mixed it with pure grace to avoid pouring it down the drain. And I think you had a sample of You are Divine.

Let me preface this with this: I hate florals and florals hate me back. Amazing grace, therefore, does not work for me. I also work on an infant unit. Baby grace does not smell like babies, nor does it remind me of powdery baby products.

It is floral. It is not subtle. I don't smell synthetic floral when I sniff it -- it actually smells like flowers. Big flowers. When people say gardenia I understand what they're trying to say.

There's a slight peppery note in it. All I can say is that I don't hate it, yet I have never committed to more than the spritz.

Thanks everyone for your input! Thank you for your descriptions of scents as opposed to feelings hehe. I am glad you know what I am talking about! :)

Bee - thanks I believe you are right about "You are Divine" - I kept wanting to call it Destiny but I knew that wasn't right. Gosh it was horrible whatever it was. I can see why it was gone. It had a really strong powder note to it as well.

Even though I think I am getting a better idea of what to expect - I do think I should probably somehow hunt a small bottle down. I don't know - I might take the plunge and just order the next tsv shipment in BG out of laziness and hope for the best. But that's kind of how I got stuck with the IG i've had sitting around for like 3 years now :/

belleandme1372479682.278644 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009southern illinois

ctinaw,

i totally understand where you are coming from with the notes thing. and in traditional perfume i would usually easily be able to identify which was which.

i think the reason that the first three (amazing , pure and baby) perfumes from philosophy were described as feelings they wanted to emote, rather than as their notes per se, is that christina expressed that she hated florals and baby powder and spice and most other notes that went into traditional perfume.

she was trying with amazing to create a non-scent scent. one that wouldnt remind everyone of something else, someone else or their grandmother.

so she may have used 'essences' from certain notes, but blended them in a way as to not smell like any of them in particular.

then , when she got amazing out and accepted, she said that she pulled the most clean notes out of amazing to make pure grace, and the most comforting and nurturing notes out to make baby grace.

i did not like baby grace for the first two weeks i had it, but i was drawn to it enough to keep trying. and lo and behold, i ended up turning to it for its calming effect (stressful time for me), rather than how it smelled , sorta like drinking wheat grass juice, or eating yeast flakes --because it makes you feel better.

so that is where i understand the 'warm hug' business from.

for me if i had to describe it in terms of notes it would be almost impossible for me. and i have some very minor credentials, in that i went to aveda's aromacology school, and worked with essential oils and single notes for years .

closest i can come is: some sort of flower, with some sort of grass or fern, with a clean baby (no lotion, no powder) thrown in.

like 8 or 9 years later, that is still the best i can do, and i just wore it yesterday.

i would try the showergel first. it kind of bypasses the part of your brain that is thinking and critiquing, and goes more to the id if that makes any sense.

sorry for the convoluted answer, {#emotions_dlg.blush}

belleandme

FOUR BLOOD MOONS~~john hagee

"...There will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars...Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." Luke 21:25a, 28

noni2boo1372482276.453615 PostsRegistered 6/10/2012
On 6/28/2013 just bee said:
On 6/28/2013 theblonde7 said:

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

That's hysterical! I was going to write that I never wear it in public, but you said it for me. It's a bit bold for me in its "floralness."

This is so funny! Pure Grace is my favorite and is what I wear almost all the time. That and Philosophy the Fragrance. I did order the TSV in PG and BG. The BG is very strong and I have to use only one small spray and never layer it or it would just overwhelm me. I'm not a fan of florals either. Still, there's something about BG that I sometimes like-in small doses and when I'm alone. I would never wear it out of the house either. It's just too strong to me.

i like cel­ery1372512250.2975261 PostsRegistered 6/23/2010

ctinaw, Not sure if you've ever been on Fragrantica's website, but it's a really nice site that describes fragrance notes on just about every fragrance out there. They describe BG main accords as: yellow floral, white musk, sweet, powdery, and green.

Sephora used to have the notes listed when they carried BG, and they were: Poppy, Green Accord, Pink Mimosa, Pepper, Creamy White Woods, Musk.

As you can see from the replies in this thread, we all have different (yet some similar) interpretations. I have always wondered what the fragrance notes were in baby lotion - I really believe there may be some note in BG that is also in baby lotion. It's the sweet note. Anyway, good luck on your fragrance adventure!

Life is beauty full.

Shelbelle1372512636.64334738 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I love most of the Phil scents, except for BG,. I just dont care for it, not a pretty smell to me. And, someone once posted here that it smells like Desitin ointment, and I think I have to agree.

mollysmama1372512903.533736 PostsRegistered 3/30/2010
On the other hand, since it's been discontinued everywhere but qvc, why bother trying it now? You just might really like it ( I find it gaggy myself - I wear Amazing or Eternal everyday), and then what if qvc drops it. Just stick to the ones you have now. JMHO

just bee1372516744.6114378 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico
On 6/29/2013 mollysmama said: On the other hand, since it's been discontinued everywhere but qvc, why bother trying it now? You just might really like it ( I find it gaggy myself - I wear Amazing or Eternal everyday), and then what if qvc drops it. Just stick to the ones you have now. JMHO

I have to admit that I haven't run out to collect all the "new" loves and graces that have debuted recently because I don't want to discover that I like something that may be discontinued.

mollysmama1372517431.537736 PostsRegistered 3/30/2010
Just bee, yeah, it can be disappointing. I just LOVE Eternal Grace - it's so clean and green smelling - the only one, besides Pure that my husband has ever loved, and now it's disappearing. Luckily, thanks to someone here on the boards, I got a heads up last month and was able to order the 32oz bath gel and lotion. I hope it comes back :(

just bee1372517765.7114378 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico
On 6/29/2013 mollysmama said: Just bee, yeah, it can be disappointing. I just LOVE Eternal Grace - it's so clean and green smelling - the only one, besides Pure that my husband has ever loved, and now it's disappearing. Luckily, thanks to someone here on the boards, I got a heads up last month and was able to order the 32oz bath gel and lotion. I hope it comes back :(

I had a sample of eternal grace shower gel and mixed it with my pure grace shower cream. Great combo -- that should be their next new fragrance. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

mac410161372532056.70791 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007
Desitin!!! But in a good way :)

Blessed Mo­ther Of 31372548509.9180 PostsRegistered 4/5/2013

I ordered the BG and I love the smell, but the Fragrace lasts only about a hour or so!!1 So sad, I cancelled my auto-delivery

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next