Maxi Dresses
123 Members and 9525 Guests Online

philosophy

Amazing Grace Bad Reviews...How Sad Coty Ruined....

Started 1367106173.127 in philosophy | Last reply 1369808301 by SuziQ2
Such an old favorite and long-time success story of Philopsophy! :(((((( So sorry to hear this. I have one older bottle, in fact, I think it is not old enough and that is why I'm no longer smelling it on me as much as before...but sadly I cannot buy it anymore. Read these bad reviews on Q: http://www.qvc.com/philosophy-amazing-grace-eau-de-parfum-2-oz.-Auto-Delivery.product.A91725.html?sc=A91725-&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-18-_-A91725&catentryImage=http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/a/25/a91725.001?$uslarge$ If you can't cut and past that into your browser, it was in Jill's Host Favs, under Amazing Grace Eu de Parfum. Why would you ruin this Philospohy/Coty?!!! I absolutely HATE that Coty bought this brand. So many products I will no longer buy. Besides the fragrances, I've used HIJ and Purity for over a decade...so far they are ok, but I'm not trusting the brand anymore. How stupid are these companies?!

Page 1 of 2
deerfeeder1367467125.72748 PostsRegistered 9/14/2012FL

I totally agree. I will not buy any more philosophy fragrance. I feel like they think we will buy anything as long as it says 'philosophy' on it. Those days are gone. I am even starting to distrust their skin care line because of the way they have destroyed AG. Who knows where they are cutting corners trying to save money?

just bee1367501144.50713121 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico

I've stopped buying philosophy as well, and I'm disappointed that I miscalculated the Coty buy. I thought that it would be a positive move because I really thought the product would become more accessible and the prices would be more affordable.

Wrong on both counts. Prices have increased and I'm not seeing philosophy products in more stores.

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

Peg551367501886.5531515 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

ladies if you want great philosophy dupes go to valeriesuncommonscents.com. they are really good

i believe jeannesbathshoppe.com and foryournose.com also has the dupes

i buy from them all the time

elle2251367566237.19743 PostsRegistered 6/30/2011

Amazing Grace is my go-to fragrance (although I also love the now discontinued Eternal Grace!)... and I'm stocked up so I haven't bought any recent bottles. What has happened? Has Coty changed the formula or substituted cheap ingredients that don't match?

SUCH a bummer! I'll never understand why someone creates something near and dear to their heart and then they sell it to a large corporation that has no personal, heartfelt connection to the product. I guess it's all about money... so sad. I do love the fragrance. Should we organize an AG boycott for a month to make a point? Or a boy-coty??

Sandysue1367578341.4971290 PostsRegistered 1/15/2007

I must be in the minority. I've been wearing AG for years and don't find any difference in the fragrance now or when I first started wearing it. I still get compliments whenever I wear it. Also got my mother on it because she loved it on me. Smells the same on her as it did years ago.

VaBelle351367578990.0638540 PostsRegistered 11/19/2004VA suburbs of Washington, DC

I don't notice a change, I just notice that since I stopped using the roll on oil I no longer get compliments. The roll on oil was what had the lasting impact.

I keep writing them to bring it back, but even if they do I wonder if it will be as good as before.

I mistakenly bought the AG Fine Perfume without reading here first. OMG is that nasty stuff. I had no idea they added a musk layer to it. I could not get in the shower fast enough. It literally ruined my entire work day.

QVC Shopper since 1993

Hayfield1367580506.4674848 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

I stop using Philosophy products a while ago, the prices got too high and the quality went down.

aprilskies1367583593.34214 PostsRegistered 7/26/2005

When I finish up what I have, I am no longer buying Philosophy. I think AG stills smells pretty but doesnt seem its like the same scent as before. Plus, items have lost their scent too soon. I will never say never but think I am done with the fragrances. I dont know what has changed but if something has they should change it back. I dont understand why companies would change what works. People notice.

Sunshine K­ate1367585585.4711666 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky
On 5/3/2013 Hayfield said:

I stop using Philosophy products a while ago, the prices got too high and the quality went down.

I agree. I don't know why companies do this. It's as if they think the consumer is too dumb to notice the formula change.

Kate

tngal041367770405.727176 PostsRegistered 5/18/2012

I stopped buying also. I still have an AG set from 2008. It still smells nice.

localharvest.org find local organic farmers
and farmer's markets

Chalet1367770556.45502 PostsRegistered 2/3/2013

I used to wear pure grace but since the company was sold, I too have moved on.

ihavetoomu­chstuff1367770661.2131468 PostsRegistered 7/20/2010
On 5/3/2013 VaBelle35 said:

I don't notice a change, I just notice that since I stopped using the roll on oil I no longer get compliments. The roll on oil was what had the lasting impact.

I keep writing them to bring it back, but even if they do I wonder if it will be as good as before.

I mistakenly bought the AG Fine Perfume without reading here first. OMG is that nasty stuff. I had no idea they added a musk layer to it. I could not get in the shower fast enough. It literally ruined my entire work day.

I stocked up on the roll-on oil when I discovered that it was discontinued. I have perfume oils from other companies that are literally decades old, and they still smell wonderful, so I feel okay about stocking up. The oil really does carry the scent all day, and it lasts a long time, so one bottle goes a long way. Maybe they'll bring it back.

colliemom31367771138.1614831 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

I have some AG that smells fine and some PG that smells nothing like PG. Something strange is going on.

Nicole761367776085.803814 PostsRegistered 4/5/2009
On 5/5/2013 colliemom3 said:

I have some AG that smells fine and some PG that smells nothing like PG. Something strange is going on.

colliemom - By any chance is the PG that doesn't smell right from the duo that was sold around Christmas with the PG conditioner? I ask because I recently opened the 8 oz shower cream and it didn't seem like the scent was quite right. The conditioner smelled like I expected, but not the shower cream.

Tissyanne1367776135.082325 PostsRegistered 12/6/2012
The last spray fragrance I have is from the TSV sold at holiday time. I bought the AG and UL set. The products seem fine to me. I have the oil roll ons in all the scents except PG and love them. I remember buying the PG spray fragrance years ago and it smelled so wonderful I just could not get enough of it. The scent did not last more than a few seconds though. I took the bottle to work witb me and everyone that tried it agreed, loved the smell, but did not last There was such a soapy clean wonderful scent to . The next time I bought PG (about 10 year ago).I was shocked. It smelled like bug repellant.

Our beloved furbabies are in heaven, in perfect health. Joy abounds all around them.

colliemom31367776984.9114831 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010
On 5/5/2013 Nicole76 said:

colliemom - By any chance is the PG that doesn't smell right from the duo that was sold around Christmas with the PG conditioner? I ask because I recently opened the 8 oz shower cream and it didn't seem like the scent was quite right. The conditioner smelled like I expected, but not the shower cream.

Hi Nicole. No. I did buy it around the holidays but it wasn't sold with the conditioner. I can't help but wonder if it's not quality control in some cases or what {#emotions_dlg.confused1} I know many feel the formulas have changed. I do not know what to think to be honest. I know the PG didn't last long at all either.

colliemom31367777208.814831 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010
On 5/5/2013 Tissyanne said: The last spray fragrance I have is from the TSV sold at holiday time. I bought the AG and UL set. The products seem fine to me. I have the oil roll ons in all the scents except PG and love them. I remember buying the PG spray fragrance years ago and it smelled so wonderful I just could not get enough of it. The scent did not last more than a few seconds though. I took the bottle to work witb me and everyone that tried it agreed, loved the smell, but did not last There was such a soapy clean wonderful scent to . The next time I bought PG (about 10 year ago).I was shocked. It smelled like bug repellant.

Hi Tissyanne. I'm glad that your products were satisfactory. Have you tried the AG whipped body creme? I really like it. I wish it came in a larger size though and was cheaper lol. How are you feeling?

Nicole761367787665.74814 PostsRegistered 4/5/2009

Hi Nicole. No. I did buy it around the holidays but it wasn't sold with the conditioner. I can't help but wonder if it's not quality control in some cases or what {#emotions_dlg.confused1} I know many feel the formulas have changed. I do not know what to think to be honest. I know the PG didn't last long at all either.

Yep, I was thinking it might be a quality control issue as well. Especially since the conditioner smelled spot on.

On a side note, I had the TSV from last year that came with the Olive Oil Scrub in FIL and when I moved some of the spritz from the 16 oz bottle to an 8 oz size it seemed to smell better. My best guess on that is that maybe there is a finer mist on the smaller bottle and that leads to less of an alcohol smell when sprayed?? Granted no science whatsoever behind this theory.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Tissyanne1367799187.062325 PostsRegistered 12/6/2012
On 5/5/2013 Tissyanne said: The last spray fragrance I have is from the TSV sold at holiday time. I bought the AG and UL set. The products seem fine to me. I have the oil roll ons in all the scents except PG and love them. I remember buying the PG spray fragrance years ago and it smelled so wonderful I just could not get enough of it. The scent did not last more than a few seconds though. I took the bottle to work witb me and everyone that tried it agreed, loved the smell, but did not last There was such a soapy clean wonderful scent to . The next time I bought PG (about 10 year ago).I was shocked. It smelled like bug repellant.

Hi Tissyanne. I'm glad that your products were satisfactory. Have you tried the AG whipped body creme? I really like it. I wish it came in a larger size though and was cheaper lol. How are you feeling?

Hi colliemom3, I have the AG whipped creme and I really like it. I bought two of them when QVC offered free shipping. I think it is one of the best things Philosophy has sold. I am doing a little better. My eyes are still bothering me, but the last few days they are better. Thanks for asking. I see my eye dr in another two weeks. She wants to see if the Resasis is improving the dryness before writing a years prescription.

Our beloved furbabies are in heaven, in perfect health. Joy abounds all around them.

Peachygirl1367800618.98797 PostsRegistered 7/8/2006

I've been using Amazing Grace for quite a few years. I read all of the recent negative reviews saying how the staying power of the fragrance has changed. I was skeptical though. I ran out of Amazing Grace a few weeks ago and purchased a new bottle at Sephora. Now I know that all of the negative reviews were correct. It doesn't smell the same AND it doesn't last more than a few minutes. So sad. I loved Amazing Grace and I received many many compliments when I wore it. I even had a young man stop me walking through a hotel and Vegas and ask me what perfume I was wearing because he wanted to get it for his girlfriend!!

I understand that people who start these companies want to sell at some point to a larger corporation so they can make big bucks, but it seems as if quality always suffers. I'm bummed.

JYWilliams1367853489.5633042 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009Kentucky "The Blue Grass State"

After my stash is gone I will not be ordering anymore. This use to be a very good line but after it was sold things changed.

Mona Dahl1367883151.1972201 PostsRegistered 3/29/2007

I've been trying not to say this...maybe I'm just in a bad mood today...but I think they need to replace Liz Garrett.

I know it is not necessarily all her fault, but the buck stops with the CEO, and that's her.

Not only has the product quality gone down, but the prices have gone way up (and continuing to rise!), the line has become extremely cluttered, and product concepts and brand identity have strayed very far from Cristina's original vision.

Just an example which I brought up a few months ago...Philosophy bought the patent for something called Dermaportation, involving a device/machine which you place against your skin to "infuse" product deep within. Sounds interesting and all, but--and maybe I'm being overly nitpicky here--this seems like the last thing a traditional Philosophy girl would use. Sure, we all love the tech stuff, but the original Philosophy idea was getting back to the quality basics and not making beauty care an all-consuming project, nor a game of gimmicks. Philosophy was able to occupy a unique niche in the market that way because it appealed to a very particular customer...no longer.

The worst change is probably the loss of the original fragrances, but so much else has changed for the worse, it really begs the question of what is going wrong.

As far as I know, Ms. Garrett was never able to find out what happened with AG when a poster here wrote to her about the issue. It was a little promising when they did the fragrance survey and sent out the free samples, which were distinctly better, as I remember. But we have never heard of any plans to integrate those improved versions into the line. So who knows what is going on.

It's a pity.

On a more positive note, I personally love the AG Fine Fragrance and do get compliments on it. Of course, it costs significantly more, and still doesn't match the quality of the old fragrance sprays.

Last edited on 5/6/2013

Last edited on 5/6/2013

Risk more than others think is safe,

Care more than others think is wise,

Dream more than others think is practical,

Expect more than others think is possible.

Daysdee1367884300.00718042 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
On 5/6/2013 JYWilliams said:

After my stash is gone I will not be ordering anymore. This use to be a very good line but after it was sold things changed.

I'm right in with you on this one. Maybe some shower gels, but no more fragrances. I wore AG today and .... nothing. Can't smell it at all and it wasn't that way before. I see the prices going up and up too. Not buying any more of their skincare either as I find other brands I like better. I also used the shower gel and the whipped body creme. Smelled nice going on, but didn't last at all either. I should have returned it.

Last edited on 5/6/2013

Last edited on 5/6/2013

capatosta1367884557.1331500 PostsRegistered 8/19/2010

I was so thrilled when I discovered Philosophy products and especially Amazing Grace. It was wonderful and then it changed with the buyout. I am done with Philosophy. As for Purity....I switched to Neutrogena products (so much cheaper) and my skin is just as soft and looks great. And I am 66!

gail n1368842445.263109 PostsRegistered 1/17/2009Michigan

My daughter got me a fresh from Philosophy AG firming emulsion for Mother's Day. It just arrived today. I was so excited to try it and see if the fragrance would be the same old fragrance or at least a close match. Sad to say the fragrance does not smell anything like AG or any other Philosophy fragrance. It has a fragrance but it is almost intolerable. What a shame. I had to finally admit to myself...AG is dead. RIP AG {#emotions_dlg.sad}

50 years old/blue eyes/
light brown, thinning hair/
combo, acne prone skin

Page 1 of 2