TSV(R) Preview
126 Members and 12889 Guests Online

philosophy

Philosophy at TJ Maxx

Started 1359934142.92 in philosophy | Last reply 1360841430.857 by CCBeauty

I was at TJ Maxx the other day and they had Philosophy. Is it real and authentic Philosophy? Some were scents I had never heard of.

Page 1 of 2
just bee1359934726.314453 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico

Marshalls also has philosophy on the shelves and it's authentic. If you're ever unsure, post the item name or fragrance here and we'll confirm. And we'll give you a free review. Wink

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

CoffeeNut1359935602.59225 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 2/3/2013 just bee said:

Marshalls also has philosophy on the shelves and it's authentic. If you're ever unsure, post the item name or fragrance here and we'll confirm. And we'll give you a free review. Wink

I'm just curious. Is there counterfeit philosophy on the market that ends up at TJMaxx or Marshalls?

just bee1359936507.36314453 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico
On 2/3/2013 CoffeeNut said:
On 2/3/2013 just bee said:

I'm just curious. Is there counterfeit philosophy on the market that ends up at TJMaxx or Marshalls?

I imagine that's possible, but all the items I've purchased in the past have seemed pretty legit to me. I don't stalk Marshalls anymore because I don't need to add to my stash, but I did pounce on some hard to find products there.

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

stlucy1359937935.253819 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

A friend got me the Philosophy Vanilla Birthday Cake at TJ Maxx, and it smells horrible. The seal was not secure on the top, so I don't know if that has something to do with it, but it smells nothing like a cake. It has an awful chemical smell. I haven't tried to use it, and I am not sure that I really want to. Has anyone else had this problem? I know that several of you have quite a collection...do they get old and lose their scent?

gypsy21359939174.2531912 PostsRegistered 5/24/2010
On 2/3/2013 stlucy said:

A friend got me the Philosophy Vanilla Birthday Cake at TJ Maxx, and it smells horrible. The seal was not secure on the top, so I don't know if that has something to do with it, but it smells nothing like a cake. It has an awful chemical smell. I haven't tried to use it, and I am not sure that I really want to. Has anyone else had this problem? I know that several of you have quite a collection...do they get old and lose their scent?

I have several that smell like chemicals and one is from QVC. I don't think TJ Maxx has anything to do with it. Just my opinion.

MMDB1359939433.29255 PostsRegistered 4/13/2011
All of the philosophy products that I have purchased have been legit. Sometimes they are not in good condition so you need to be careful what you buy.

colliemom31359940272.5216376 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

I've bought many many Philosophy products from TJ Maxx and they've all been top quality.

cal-gal1359941593.1872083 PostsRegistered 1/5/2007SF Bay Area
On 2/3/2013 stlucy said:

Hi stlucy! I have some that are more than a few years old (favorites I stocked up on when they were discontinued). I've not had problems with them starting off smelling good and then later on going bad. But I live in a cool climate and my stash is always kept in a cool, dark, dry place, so that may or may not be related! I have some 2009 scents that I just opened and finished off this past holiday, and they were just wonderful {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

cal-gal \

stlucy1359944076.55819 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

Thanks for your input. Maybe, I just got a bad one.

Daysdee1359950608.6519104 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007
On 2/3/2013 cal-gal said:
On 2/3/2013 stlucy said:

Hi stlucy! I have some that are more than a few years old (favorites I stocked up on when they were discontinued). I've not had problems with them starting off smelling good and then later on going bad. But I live in a cool climate and my stash is always kept in a cool, dark, dry place, so that may or may not be related! I have some 2009 scents that I just opened and finished off this past holiday, and they were just wonderful {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I have many old Philosophy shower gels -- some opened and some sealed. So far I have never had any go bad. I think what TJ Maxx sells are the real Philosophy, but some of the "flavors" are older and some are fairly current.

pixie stew1359991050.991261 PostsRegistered 1/13/2009IL, metro St. Louis

Everything I've ever bought from tj's has been fine.

Did you smell it straight from the bottle, or try suds-ing up (even just with a hand wash)? Some of the flavors smell different as they bloom. You may like it more once you use it.

It could also be a bad one, or your nose picks up some scent differently. (a few other polarizing flavors come to mind ....our noses can really vary, lol)

brown hair, blue eyes, med. beige be foundation: mom to 5 wonderful girls

ct19011359994760.548 PostsRegistered 2/4/2013

I went to TJ Maxx yesterday.

What my store had was:

16 oz Beach Party

16 oz Cherry Lemonade

16 oz Peach Tini

8 oz Verbena Lotion

8 oz Carribean Getaway

8 oz Bubbly

8 oz Sparkling Cranberry

8 oz Mangoes & Cream Lotion

4 oz Full of Fortune Cookie

2 (or 4...I'm not sure) Fortune Cookie Body Lotion

They also had the Be Somebody Lotion and some Field of Flowers.

I grabbed up a Beach Party, but then put it back since I do not need to add to my stash. It's not as large as most of you all on here, but it is growing. Unfortunately, I am really regretting that decision now. I may have to go back over there and get it! :)

I was good though, because I loved all of them except for the Cranberry, so only one was me being good. Last time I was at the RACK they had a 24oz beach party for only 13.99, whereas this 16oz was 12.99, so that kind of got it. I should remember thought that I haven't been to the RACK since last summer and there really isn't any chance of them having it again, plus both my Nordies and Rack are 2 hours away :(

Last edited on 2/4/2013

Last edited on 2/4/2013

cal-gal1360012708.4872083 PostsRegistered 1/5/2007SF Bay Area

Hi ct1901! Wow, your TJ Maxx had an awesome selection! I may run to mine to try and snag a Sparkling Cranberry (I received an 8oz as a gift and would love another one!) {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Hey, did you know you can call any Nordstrom Rack and ask them what Philosophy items they currently have? If it turns out that they have ones you like, you can have them ship it to you!

cal-gal \

ct19011360018005.38348 PostsRegistered 2/4/2013
On 2/4/2013 cal-gal said:

Hi ct1901! Wow, your TJ Maxx had an awesome selection! I may run to mine to try and snag a Sparkling Cranberry (I received an 8oz as a gift and would love another one!) {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Hey, did you know you can call any Nordstrom Rack and ask them what Philosophy items they currently have? If it turns out that they have ones you like, you can have them ship it to you!

They did! I also forgot until now but they also had many (as in like 4 or more) Orange Cassis 16oz, I believe. Unfortunately most of them were open, or partially open. As far as I know only the 1 each of the Cranberry, Fortune Cookie, Beach Party, and Bubbly were sealed. There were only 2 beach party gels, so I hope I can get the one that was still sealed. Unfortunately I am sick now and I will likely have to pay extra for someone to go get it for me considering it will be against their will to increase the amount of shower gel I have, lol

I didn't think I liked the sparkling cranberry, but from what I remember now I think I have changed my mind.

I assumed they would do that for you, but I wasn't completely sure. Thanks for letting me know! I like the salesperson at my Nordstrom store, so she ships me stuff. My only other option here is Ulta, which I don't like in the first place and the people there are horrible and ignore you. Online ordering is okay, but I do like that she can ship me samples and also SA's at Nordstrom work on commission and I really like her.

LovePhil1360117759.931010 PostsRegistered 6/12/2008

I stopped at TJ Max today to see if they had Beach Party Shower Gel. It's one of my very favorites. They did! They only had three and two were opened, so I just purchased the unopened one. They only had a few other Philosophy products. They have a couple of FIL 16oz shower gels and a few small bottles of the Bubbly ones, and a bottle of Mangos and Cream lotion. I'm so happy to have found the Beach Party shower gel.

colliemom31360122513.9516376 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

I found the Mojito one from the Sip And Savor set last year. I believe it was $9.99. I'm really enjoying it. I think Philosophy must have released a lot of the retired ones to other outlets recently.

ARMYGIRL68X1360267227.397545 PostsRegistered 6/19/2012TX

Yes the Philosophy at TJ Maxx is authentic.

What happens is when stores such as Ulta, Sephora, Dillard's, Nordstrom, etc. have left-over products from seasons past, TJ Maxx or Marshalls will receive them, just as they do all other sorts of items from various stores.

Also, some of the seals from these products going to Philosophy retailers may be broken, so TJ Maxx will get them to resell at a discounted price. I've purchased plenty of Philosophy from TJ's; however, there have been countless times I've spotted a Philosophy product at TJ's and the bottle was, for instance, only 3/4 full.

Army Strong - Hooah!

21 y/o. Short, black hair. Tan skin. Brown eyes. I love Philosophy!

iPod1360352397.71766 PostsRegistered 5/23/2005
On 2/3/2013 stlucy said:

ALL Philosophy products come SEALED.You can thank your fellow customers for opening up the products! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

wakefield641360352492.4225364 PostsRegistered 10/22/2006

I bought a Philosophy fragrance at TJ's called Divine......anyone heard of it. It is okay nothing great.

iPod1360352779.913766 PostsRegistered 5/23/2005
On 2/8/2013 wakefield64 said:

I bought a Philosophy fragrance at TJ's called Divine......anyone heard of it. It is okay nothing great.

Never tried it but I did see Divine lotion.

MMDB1360361513.09255 PostsRegistered 4/13/2011
How much did you pay for the divine fragrance?

stlucy1360367443.873819 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006
On 2/4/2013 pixie stew said:

Everything I've ever bought from tj's has been fine.

Did you smell it straight from the bottle, or try suds-ing up (even just with a hand wash)? Some of the flavors smell different as they bloom. You may like it more once you use it.

It could also be a bad one, or your nose picks up some scent differently. (a few other polarizing flavors come to mind ....our noses can really vary, lol)

I did try it in the shower, but it still smells different. I purchased a birthday set in the past for another friend, and I thought the cake smelled great. Not sure what happened to this one. Thanks for your response.

lynnie611360369413.32361 PostsRegistered 11/28/2007PA

I just wonder if they "are not" sealed, could they be QVC returns that they send to outlets to get rid of them since they can't resell it. Or it could be rude TJ customer's opening them? At least a Nordstrom or Sephora there are usually testers you can smell. No testers at places like TJ and Marshalls. Although last year I got a pepperment bark 24 oz for 12.99 there, so that was a STEAL. (and it was sealed). Any I have seen all look authentic to me.

Daysdee1360377918.47319104 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

I think customers open them to sniff them. I doubt they are QVC returns since the bottles are full. Maybe just older stock or out of season scents.

Dattie1360387419.457452 PostsRegistered 12/1/2007Originally from the "Buckeye" state, Ohio. Alabama.
On 2/5/2013 LovePhil said:

I stopped at TJ Max today to see if they had Beach Party Shower Gel. It's one of my very favorites. They did! They only had three and two were opened, so I just purchased the unopened one. They only had a few other Philosophy products. They have a couple of FIL 16oz shower gels and a few small bottles of the Bubbly ones, and a bottle of Mangos and Cream lotion. I'm so happy to have found the Beach Party shower gel.

I saw Beach Party at our TJMaxx. Didn't look at it to notice if it was sealed or not.

Jennifer

Page 1 of 2