Designer Fashion Clearance
141 Members and 13740 Guests Online

philosophy

Ingredients in Philosophy products...

Started 1264289878 in philosophy | Last reply 1264397885 by lunamarz_31
I've seen a couple of post where people say they are not buying products until the ingredients issue is settled. Does anyone know what they are referring to?
I'm curious because I've been using Philosophy for the past 8 years and last year I developed an allergic reaction to something. I've had to stop using certain shampoos, soaps etc. and was curious about the comments made by others about ingredients
Thanks in advance
--
Edited by Sfgirl at 01/23/2010 2:38 PM PST

Page 1 of 1
squeezebox12643519815562 PostsRegistered 2/17/2008Land of oz!
Guess the webbie doesn't like us sharing the toxic ingredients in some of philosophy's stuff. I answered this last night and it's poofed.
So....here we go again!
Imidazolidinyl Urea, Diazolidinyl Urea and/or DMDM Hydantoin are the most commonly used cosmetic preservatives after the Parabens. They are just three of the many preservatives that release formaldehyde. Nearly all brands of skin, body and hair care products, antiperspirants, and nail polish found in stores contain formaldehyde releasing ingredients. According to the Mayo Clinic, formaldehyde can irritate the respiratory system, cause skin irritations, and trigger heart palpitations. Exposure to formaldehyde releasing products may also cause allergies, nose congestion, nausea, headaches, dizziness, ear infections, chronic fatigue, depression, asthma, chest pains, and loss of sleep. But more seriously, formaldehyde is toxic to the immune system, a human mutagen, and is carcinogenic.
This ingredient is in:
Purity
HIAJ
AG lotion
AG conditioner
MDP (2nd step)
There might be more than I'm not aware of!
Hope this helps! :-)
--
Edited by squeezebox at 01/24/2010 7:56 AM PST

Last edited on 1/24/2010

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

kard126436005327 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008
That's just great, almost all of the products that I use!

squeezebox12643612675562 PostsRegistered 2/17/2008Land of oz!
I hear ya kard! I'm on the fence as to what to do about it.
This stuff is in alot of our beauty products....according to an article I read, it's in over 40% of beauty products. If the ingredient is listed at the end of the list of ingredients, it's supposed to be a small dose.
BUT.......every article I've read about it states do not use, period!
I have been pondering trying another skincare line for a little while. So, this may be the time to jump ship, as far as skincare goes. Some are going to the 100% Pure line.
I'm still reading, researching etc.

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

pinupgirl1264370259593 PostsRegistered 1/27/2007
the biggest problem with it all is that some of the philosophy products (AG body lotion, AG conditioner, and i'm not sure which others yet) contain the formaldehyde releasing ingredients PLUS triethamlamine, which in combination produce carcinogenic chemicals that may penetrate the skin.
The source that I read this information from stated that "formaldeyde releasing ingredients are thought to be harmless in small doses; however, when combined with any of the "amines" chemical, they become potential hazards and should be avoided."
--
Edited by pinupgirl at 01/24/2010 12:58 PM PST
--
Edited by pinupgirl at 01/24/2010 12:58 PM PST

Last edited on 1/24/2010

daiseyo12643730555508 PostsRegistered 6/8/2008
Sfgirl - Do you use HIAJ? Just asking b/c I, too, had noticed my skin reacting oddly sometime this past year. Couldn't figure it out. Later learned about the ingredients that hadn't previously been in HIAJ. Just like you also mentioned, I'd been previously using HIAJ for years without any problems. One of the preservatives is known for causing dermatitus (along with being potentially carcinogenic). I realize a lot of ingredients can cause dermatitus, but this one seems to be prone. I stopped using HIAJ, and my skin cleared up rather quickly. So I've sadly stopped using my beloved moisturizer of ten years.
I think most of us with concerns with philosophy lately, still love many of phil's products, and still consider ourselves philosophy girls/guys, but are disappointed with a few of the choices the Company has made in the last couple of years, since being sold. philosophy just isn't the same "Cristina's philosophy" it once was. Hope they prove me wrong on that.
--
"Pooh!" whispered Piglet. "Yes, Piglet?" said Pooh. "Oh, nothing," said Piglet. "I was just making sure of you."

Sfgirl126437526735 PostsRegistered 1/13/2008
I use Purity, HIAJ, the serums, peels etc. Thank you so much for the information. I need to stop using all the products and slowly start using each one again to find out which one is causing me problems.

mystical2811264375954320 PostsRegistered 11/29/2009
I think most of us with concerns with philosophy lately, still love many of phil's products, and still consider ourselves philosophy girls/guys, but are disappointed with a few of the choices the Company has made in the last couple of years, since being sold. philosophy just isn't the same "Cristina's philosophy" it once was. Hope they prove me wrong on that.
Yes indeed daiseyo - I have loved Philosophy and still want to - that is why I am so bummed:(

Life is a Journey, Not a Guided Tour

pinupgirl1264377250593 PostsRegistered 1/27/2007
> I think most of us with concerns with philosophy
> lately, still love many of phil's products, and still
> consider ourselves philosophy girls/guys, but are
> disappointed with a few of the choices the Company
> has made in the last couple of years, since being
> sold. philosophy just isn't the same "Cristina's
> philosophy" it once was. Hope they prove me wrong on
> that.

>
> Yes indeed daiseyo - I have loved Philosophy and
> still want to - that is why I am so bummed:(
ditto- i just want philosophy to address our concerns, clean up the ingredient list, and restore our trust so we can get back to loving the brand.

SweetPea81264381431528 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007
Ditto, ditto here too! I still love my AG! I am just not going to use the hair conditioner and body emulsion anymore unless a change is made in the formulation.
By the way, I also was looking at Sephora today and found another organic brand called "Juice Beauty". I didn't see any harmful things in it and got a little try me kit. I love 100% Pure, but I am not going to go with one brand for everything anymore. I am going to try different organic/natural brands and just use what I like from each one.
Have great days! :)

May God grant you always...
A sunbeam to warm you,
A moonbeam to charm you,
A sheltering angel, so nothing can harm you.

Pudre126438828478 PostsRegistered 4/20/2008
Hi All:
I've been watching this thread and have had some concerns for awhile with just the parabens alone. I've noticed more and more companies announcing that they've removed parabens or are "paraben free". St Ives for instance claims no parabens or phtalates.
Since my mid 20's til age 45, when I had my uterus removed, I fought with massive amounts of fibroids. At 25 my doctor removed one the size of a grapefruit and the doctor who removed my uterus at 45 stated that my uterus was covered both inside and out with many, many fibroids.
This caused me to start researching how this could have happened. I've found many studies stating that parabens mimic estrogen and fibroids often indicate estrogen overload. Problems such as mine are becoming all too common these days.
With this information in mind, I have still continued to use Amazing Grace lotion because I LOVE IT! I've been hoping and half expecting Christina to announce that they've removed the parabens from their products as other companies are starting to do, however, with this latest information regarding formaldehyde, I'm once again wondering if I should continue using this or other Philosophy products. I'm both angry and sad that I might have to give up the products I so love. I have asthma also and Amazing Grace is one of the few products I both enjoy and doesn't cause me asthma trouble.
I suppose I could stop using the lotion and just use the fragrance, but that just isn't the same. I LOVE the lotion too.
In regards to other products to try.....I'm posting a link to a company that has quite a following. The company is located here in Colorado, however, their products are distributed all over the country. I know the woman who started this company. She's in her 40's, uses her own products and is beautiful, as you'll see if you go to her website. One of the things she's most concerned about are the products that stay on our skin. In other words, shower gels and such as rinsed off so they do not pose the harm that lotions do.
I wonder if Philosophy used the formaldehyde producing preservatives prior to producing these uber size bottles. I wonder if they've had to add more preservatives in order to preserve such large amounts of product. I know another all natural company in town that produces products fresh at small quantities so they don't have to use preservatives.
--
Edited by Pudre at 01/25/2010 6:04 AM PST

Last edited on 1/25/2010

Pudre126438837878 PostsRegistered 4/20/2008
Oops, here's the website I promised to post
http://www.mychelle.com/

daiseyo12643922245508 PostsRegistered 6/8/2008
Pudre - Thanks for the info on MyChelle skin care. I remember reading positive comments in the Beauty Banter forum about MyChelle's sun block, and jotted it down for reference. After looking at the site, I see lots of products I'd be interested in trying. Thanks, again. :8}
--
"Pooh!" whispered Piglet. "Yes, Piglet?" said Pooh. "Oh, nothing," said Piglet. "I was just making sure of you."

dat471264395342112 PostsRegistered 8/8/2008
I was thinking of going back to philosophy . I was thinking about ordering the tsv february special . but now i'm a little afraid to. I have been using the FranBrand and think its very good. It's not completely organic but I do not think it has parabens or the ingredients listed here. I have just ordered the philosophy hope springs eternal deepsea revitalmask, 5 oz. I do not think it was the bad ingredients in it but does anybody know if it does?

lunamarz_311264397885805 PostsRegistered 9/30/2009
I checked my stash, among my Philosophy products that contain Imidazolidinyl Urea or Diazolidinyl Urea are:
- AG, BG, and FIL lotion (I don't own IL or UL lotion, so I am unable to tell)
- AG conditioner (but not in PG conditioner)
I am concerned about what I have been reading so far, but not freaked out. We are susceptible to cancer-causing ingredients on a daily basis (think pollution, food and drinks that contain preservatives). The beauty products contain a small dose of these ingredients (which I know even a small dose is unacceptable to many of you), and I think unless I cut out the other factors, I won't probably improve my chances by much.
However, I think the cumulative factor will make a difference in the long run. I will use the rest of my Philosophy stash but plan to make a gradual change to a more natural and organis line once I am almost through.
There have been talks about 100% Pure on this board. My sister raves about Yes To Carrots, which is 95% organic, paraben and phthalates-free, does not test on animals. Their products are sold at Target and reasonably priced (cheaper than Philosophy, I must say). It looks like I will be trying out that line sometime in the near future.
Good luck ladies!
--
Edited by Irene Z at 01/24/2010 8:38 PM PST

Last edited on 1/24/2010

Page 1 of 1