Share the Love
14 Members and 14456 Guests Online

philosophy

Too Many Discontinued Products

Started 1335192448.497 in philosophy | Last reply 1338646620.56 by bikerbabe

When Cristina C had announced last year that Philosophy was bought out by a large company I was disappointed because I knew that the product line might be streamlined and a lot of great products would be gone. It has come true....and alas, for me, most of my favorites are now gone. HNE Omega 369 Body Cream, HNE Omega 369 Body Scrub (both great!), HNE Hyaluronic/Peptides Capsules (really fabulous and great for travel), Eye Believe, Be Somebody body lotion unscented, I could go on. It seems like the company is putting all their enery into producing just another scented body wash. Enough already!! How many snickerdoodle, chocolate, berry, berry tango washes do you need? I LOVED and used Philosophy for many, many years and the products were exceptional. I hate to think what other favorites are on the chopping block. Crisitna C always seemed so devoted to the company that she built from the ground up. I wonder if she realized what control she would lose under the merger? I'll hang on the the few products that I still use, but then I will have to find another brand that can suit my needs. What a shame. Philosophy was such a great company.

Page 1 of 1
irishblonde1335618110.0071 PostsRegistered 4/28/2012

I totally agree. One of my first Philosophy purchases was The Greatest Love. It makes my skin feel even better than the Microdelivery Peel. I have looked for more everywhere (even at Philosophy's web site) and can't find any. I just hate when they discontinue a great product! Had I known about this, I would have purchased 20 tubes.

Mona Dahl1335649533.322201 PostsRegistered 3/29/2007

I completely agree. I miss The Supernatural mascara, The Superbeautiful hybrid foundation (now that was a great product), and Philosophy the Fragrance. I don't care for this glut of expensive new skincare products that don't do anything the old ones didn't do better. And how many "fine fragrances" does the brand really need? It's getting confusing...

Risk more than others think is safe,

Care more than others think is wise,

Dream more than others think is practical,

Expect more than others think is possible.

17Ski1335668019.3278 PostsRegistered 2/26/2011
On 4/28/2012 Mona Dahl said:

I completely agree. I miss The Supernatural mascara, The Superbeautiful hybrid foundation (now that was a great product), and Philosophy the Fragrance. I don't care for this glut of expensive new skincare products that don't do anything the old ones didn't do better. And how many "fine fragrances" does the brand really need? It's getting confusing...

Superbeautiful hybrid---that was my HG. Best product they ever made.

Feldspar1337128278.533493 PostsRegistered 5/11/2010AZ

Coty took a possible goldmine and turned it into a landfill. I feel so bad for all the people who have been working at Philosophy and continue to try to bring back the original "philosophy" behind the products. I used to "dream" of working at Philosophy, because I was so inspired by the care and quality that went into the products.

It's obvious that Coty expected a quick money-maker: cheapen the ingredients in the fragrances and the skin care, manufacture air-freshener type body washes on an assembly line, sell mid-range makeup in fancy packaging for ridiculously high prices...I'm surprised they haven't launched a Celebrity fragrance for the Philosophy line.

Clearly, Coty made no attempts to analyze Philosophy customers in order to meet their needs and expectations. Did they think we wouldn't notice our fragrances changed...for the worse? Did they think we'd go away, but they'd get more customers with bland, run-of-the-mill products? It's mind-boggling.

Coty withdrew its $10.7 billion takeover bid on Avon today. Avon's stock dropped like a lead balloon, which is too bad. Monopolies squash innovation and competition, and that is exactly what happened with Philosophy, which began with much honesty, creativity and vision.

I remember the day I first smelled Amazing Grace, in 2003, and I've owned a bottle and worn it regularly ever since. I recall Cristina saying something along the lines of, "Gone are the days when fragrances are so strong other people can taste them," or they fumigate entire rooms...I don't remember the exact quote, but as a lover of pretty fragrances, with allergies and a sensitive nose, I'd found a new hero!

I was checking out Philosophy.com today. A LOT of the newer products have been discontinued, and there's not even a mention of the Divine line - no skin care, color, or fragrance. They probably put a decent sized investment toward this launch, but, obviously, it was never terribly appealing to "make-up optional" and/or "light, clean" fragrances types: Philosophy's customers.

Edit - I LOVED the Supernatural Mascara. Nothing else comes close.

Last edited on 5/15/2012

Last edited on 5/15/2012

Mona Dahl1337163158.0732201 PostsRegistered 3/29/2007
On 5/15/2012 Feldspar said:

Coty took a possible goldmine and turned it into a landfill. I feel so bad for all the people who have been working at Philosophy and continue to try to bring back the original "philosophy" behind the products. I used to "dream" of working at Philosophy, because I was so inspired by the care and quality that went into the products.

It's obvious that Coty expected a quick money-maker: cheapen the ingredients in the fragrances and the skin care, manufacture air-freshener type body washes on an assembly line, sell mid-range makeup in fancy packaging for ridiculously high prices...I'm surprised they haven't launched a Celebrity fragrance for the Philosophy line.

Clearly, Coty made no attempts to analyze Philosophy customers in order to meet their needs and expectations. Did they think we wouldn't notice our fragrances changed...for the worse? Did they think we'd go away, but they'd get more customers with bland, run-of-the-mill products? It's mind-boggling.

Coty withdrew its $10.7 billion takeover bid on Avon today. Avon's stock dropped like a lead balloon, which is too bad. Monopolies squash innovation and competition, and that is exactly what happened with Philosophy, which began with much honesty, creativity and vision.

I remember the day I first smelled Amazing Grace, in 2003, and I've owned a bottle and worn it regularly ever since. I recall Cristina saying something along the lines of, "Gone are the days when fragrances are so strong other people can taste them," or they fumigate entire rooms...I don't remember the exact quote, but as a lover of pretty fragrances, with allergies and a sensitive nose, I'd found a new hero!

I was checking out Philosophy.com today. A LOT of the newer products have been discontinued, and there's not even a mention of the Divine line - no skin care, color, or fragrance. They probably put a decent sized investment toward this launch, but, obviously, it was never terribly appealing to "make-up optional" and/or "light, clean" fragrances types: Philosophy's customers.

Last edited on 5/15/2012

Feldspar, great post. I think that Carlyle did a mediocre, but OK job with philosophy, and Coty is doing a frankly bad job. Don't they realize that if you churn out new products like they're a dime a dozen, people are going to stop seeing them as 'special'? New, redundant skincare; "fine fragrance" after "fine fragrance"; the would-be "prestige" Divine line. They have forgotten what Philosophy is at its core. Philosophy used to be a company of simplicity; of doing only what you need; of a very consistent image based on makeup-optional skin and clean, heavenly fragrance. Now, it is all over the place. It tries to be everything and every product to every person, and instead it is a hot mess.

allthebest1337166024.483250 PostsRegistered 9/26/2010

My faves that were d/c

Supernatural Mineral make-up in Warm1

Lipstick in Passion

The Greatest Love

Save the Nails

The Supernatural mascara

Also,they're current make-up line doesn't seem to be doing that well....lots of clearance items I notice....

Mona Dahl1337173687.2072201 PostsRegistered 3/29/2007
On 5/16/2012 allthebest said:

Also,they're current make-up line doesn't seem to be doing that well....lots of clearance items I notice....

I saw some Divine stuff in Big Lots already! I'm sure the rest will follow shortly...

LoriLori1337179648.2034866 PostsRegistered 4/4/2008
On 5/16/2012 Mona Dahl said:

Clearly, Coty made no attempts to analyze Philosophy customers in order to meet their needs and expectations. Did they think we wouldn't notice our fragrances changed...for the worse? Did they think we'd go away, but they'd get <em>more</em> customers with bland, run-of-the-mill products? It's mind-boggling.

I was checking out Philosophy.com today. A <em>LOT</em> of the newer products have been discontinued, and there's not even a mention of the Divine line - no skin care, color, or fragrance. They probably put a decent sized investment toward this launch, but, obviously, it was never terribly appealing to "make-up optional" and/or "light, clean" fragrances types: Philosophy's customers.

Last edited on 5/15/2012

Feldspar, great post. I think that Carlyle did a mediocre, but OK job with philosophy, and Coty is doing a frankly bad job. Don't they realize that if you churn out new products like they're a dime a dozen, people are going to stop seeing them as 'special'? New, redundant skincare; "fine fragrance" after "fine fragrance"; the would-be "prestige" Divine line. They have forgotten what Philosophy is at its core. Philosophy used to be a company of simplicity; of doing only what you need; of a very consistent image based on makeup-optional skin and clean, heavenly fragrance. Now, it is all over the place. It tries to be everything and every product to every person, and instead it is a hot mess.

Feldspar, I wish you would start a separate thread for your post and call it HEY COTY or something, it's so right on. Love every word.

Mona Dahl, agree with so much of what you said except for one thing. I think that the Carlyle Group years were fine, even excellent. They're a holding company and mainly in defense and their mission is just making money. They were hands off. Under Carlyle I think we got the Miracle Worker products and tons of great shower gels including the ice cream series, Keep the Peace, a lot of things. They left Christina alone. They even let her have a small office for Grace outside of her own.

Coty think it knows it all and has announced quite publicly they want to increase their earnings from $3 billion to $7 billion in what, three years? Amazing greed.

Wish they'd focused on their celebrity perfumes and left philosophy alone. They started by hiring a CEO who came from a bigtime animal tester. They put sandalwood in a philosophy fragrance for the first time. Gross. That is so not philosophy. MKwan says it's a positive that people think one of the new scents smells like Escada, well philosphy was never supposed to smell like Escada or any other call-attention-to-itself perfume. It always smelled soft and natural. And they've taken away discounts for their most loyal customers. They've hijacked the brand.

Boggles my mind that philosophy is owned by the company rolling out Madonna's Truth or Dare fragrance. If only they'd leave philosophy alone, if it's not too late to salvage the quality of the products and the fantastic reputation the company enjoyed until Coty.

I hope they're reading this.

Mona Dahl1337181082.5732201 PostsRegistered 3/29/2007

LoriLori, just to clarify what I said on the other thread--I know Carlyle is a holding company, but it makes sense that they would appoint new management staff to help grow the company. I think that was their intention in rolling out products like the Divine moisturizer and the Miracle Worker skincare. I remember hearing a lot that Cristina was scaling back her influence during that period. She still appeared on air, and she still had substantial involvement in product development/creative consultation, but I think a lot of the ideas were Carlyle's. Anyway, I'll never forget what Cristina said about the Eternal Grace fragrance, which was rolled out during the Carlyle period if I remember correctly.

LoriLori1337181891.3434866 PostsRegistered 4/4/2008

They did put in their own person as CEO but Cristina's title was Executive Chairwoman which is an unusual title and at least sounds like she's over the CEO.

I don't know about Eternal Grace, I don't think she should have said that. She took credit, deservedly, for the Miracle Worker line, Keep the Peace, Divine Illumination (which I loved but they seemed to stop supporting) and other innovations during the Carlyle Group time, so it's surprisingly unprofessional of her to say that about Eternal Grace on television.

CreditCard­Overload1337225211.093526 PostsRegistered 8/17/2007

Yep. Feel the same here. I was a Phil. gal all the way. When the co. was sold there were articles all over the net that the formulations were changed. My face can attest to that. I was with Phil. for more years than I can remember. I now am a PC gal. I want simple and not so many products. Phil. is turning into HSNs SSC. Every month a new product line or several products and if you investigate the ingredient deck now with Phil. the ingredients are nothing special and you are all spending double the money of nothing special anymore skincare. I really miss my original Phil.

--------------------------------
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

GeorgiaGeo­rgia1337440106.08360 PostsRegistered 2/11/2012

It's getting to the point where I start to think "why bother," when a new philosophy product is introduced. I don't want to fall in love with it, only to have it discontinued a couple of years later. It seems to happen much more frequently with philosophy than any other brand I've faithfully used.

I wasn't a fan of philosophy under the Carlyle Group. The formula for Purity was changed during this time, and I don't see Cristina making that decision. I was also uncomfortable with some of the "ties" Carlyle Group had. Scary. Many people are upset about Coty and animal testing (me too), but weren't concerned with Carlyle.

belleandme1337444210.1878634 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009southern illinois

Last edited on 5/15/2012

your opening line SAYS IT ALL!!! better than my pages of words. i really really hope they realize it in time.

and the supernatural mascara, and lip color gloss were my hg's, and nothing comes close.

betteb posted a link on her 'contact coty thread', so lets post our feelings there too!!

yet, 90 years later , we can still walk to the counter, and pick up some channel #5, yet products at phil are disappearing within an 8 month window{#emotions_dlg.scared}

FOUR BLOOD MOONS~~john hagee

"...There will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars...Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." Luke 21:25a, 28

Feldspar1338000770.517493 PostsRegistered 5/11/2010AZ

Going way back, I still miss the Supernatural "Superneutral" lip & cheek stain. Like the Supernatural Mascara, I've yet to find a decent replacement for it. I loved those "Little Black Book" makeup kits, too. They made getting "a look" so easy. Even though "heavy" makeup seems to be all the rage these days with false eyelashes and dark lipsticks, I think a "natural" look is essential. It's not always appropriate or professional to wear makeup that screams, "Makeup!"

I am really, really upset that I can no longer find the Divine Illuminator compact in CopperRose.This was my "staple" for the last couple of years. There's not even any makeup shown on Philosophy.com these days, and their "anti-makeup" was my favorite makeup. There's nothing else like it in other lines. Such a shame.

Feldspar1338594091.707493 PostsRegistered 5/11/2010AZ

I'm taking back some of my previous comments...I think Philosophy is rebounding! The new Take A Deep Breath moisturizer is wonderful, and I'm adoring Love Sweet Love, and the Field of Flowers Peony and Violet. Recently I've been using the Keep the Peace Color Corrector, and it's even better than The Present, because it has physical sunscreen. Based on Philosophy's website and the offerings here at QVC, it seems like most of what's been discontinued are products that were more "glamorous" and pricey, like Divine Illumination moisturizer, and impractical things like breakable retinol capsules (why fight with these things when you can use Help Me?). Hopefully the issues with the fragrances were more due to bad jasmine crops, or something like that, than cheapening and reformulation (am I being naive?). Wink

musiclover1338595580.69224 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006
On 6/1/2012 Feldspar said:

I'm taking back some of my previous comments...I think Philosophy is rebounding! The new Take A Deep Breath moisturizer is wonderful, and I'm adoring Love Sweet Love, and the Field of Flowers Peony and Violet. Recently I've been using the Keep the Peace Color Corrector, and it's even better than The Present, because it has physical sunscreen. Based on Philosophy's website and the offerings here at QVC, it seems like most of what's been discontinued are products that were more "glamorous" and pricey, like Divine Illumination moisturizer, and impractical things like breakable retinol capsules (why fight with these things when you can use Help Me?). Hopefully the issues with the fragrances were more due to bad jasmine crops, or something like that, than cheapening and reformulation (am I being naive?). Wink

Well not all of us didn't care or found it tough to break open a retinol capsule. I absolutely loved the retinol caps.

Feldspar1338614796.707493 PostsRegistered 5/11/2010AZ
On 6/1/2012 musiclover said:
On 6/1/2012 Feldspar said:

Well not all of us didn't care or found it tough to break open a retinol capsule. I absolutely loved the retinol caps.

I'm sorry - I didn't mean to be rude. I realize it was my own problem that I couldn't get the capsules to work properly. They always seemed to be too soft to break open, so I felt like I was wasting a lot of the serum. If it was a great product for many people, I think it's a shame it's discontinued!

I have the same problem with Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Capsules...they get all gummy in my hands and I can't break them open. I do live in a desert, though, so maybe my cupboards are too warm for them...anyways, I shouldn't have sounded like they weren't a good product, because that's certainly not true for everyone!

Last edited on 6/1/2012

Last edited on 6/1/2012

cal-gal1338617606.8571991 PostsRegistered 1/5/2007SF Bay Area

i'm sorry to see so many folks feeling disappointed. i totally respect everyone's frustrations and opinions. even i was extremely displeased and disillusioned after all the citrus-berry-musk creations they had the audacity to shove at us last fall {#emotions_dlg.scared}

however, i've happy to say i've been very pleased with the new products they've introduced since then {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} ... there's more i could list, but my top new faves are:

* love sweet love spray fragrance and shower gel

* summer grace fragrance (never tried it until this year!)

* pink frosted animal cracker and ooey gooey cookie shower gels

* mangos and cream and mixed berry jam lip glosses

* cabana girl (guava coconut) shower gel and lotion

i can't forget that last year brought me two new loves ... lively lemon coconut and brown butter cookie! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

ahhhhh ... and finally, let's not forget, that they brought back some favorites for many of us over the past six months:

* the reappearance of many of the ice cream series flavors at phil's website and ulta.com

* hawaiian getaway (pineapple coconut) shower gel & lotion

* french vanilla bean ice cream

* bubblegum blowout

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

cal-gal \

bikerbabe1338646620.567808 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007
On 6/2/2012 cal-gal said:

i'm sorry to see so many folks feeling disappointed. i totally respect everyone's frustrations and opinions. even i was extremely displeased and disillusioned after all the citrus-berry-musk creations they had the audacity to shove at us last fall {#emotions_dlg.scared}

however, i've happy to say i've been very pleased with the new products they've introduced since then {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} ... there's more i could list, but my top new faves are:

* love sweet love spray fragrance and shower gel

* summer grace fragrance (never tried it until this year!)

* pink frosted animal cracker and ooey gooey cookie shower gels

* mangos and cream and mixed berry jam lip glosses

* cabana girl (guava coconut) shower gel and lotion

i can't forget that last year brought me two new loves ... lively lemon coconut and brown butter cookie! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

ahhhhh ... and finally, let's not forget, that they brought back some favorites for many of us over the past six months:

* the reappearance of many of the ice cream series flavors at phil's website and ulta.com

* hawaiian getaway (pineapple coconut) shower gel & lotion

* french vanilla bean ice cream

* bubblegum blowout

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

i agree this spring has been much more promising! we are quick to criticize changes in the past year (most of that criticism justified!) but let's remember to give credit where it's due. i just hope they learned something from last holiday's offerings.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I take pleasure in my 'transformations'. I look quiet and consistent, but few know how many women there are in me.
- Anais Nin

Page 1 of 1