Designer Fashion Clearance
146 Members and 15497 Guests Online

philosophy

Getting all lotions out of the bottle

Started 1329664981.943 in philosophy | Last reply 1329867413.33 by purrmom

What are your suggestions for getting all of the hand/body lotions out of the bottle?! There comes a point when the pump no longer works when there is still several inches of product letft. I have tried turning the bottle upside down but because of the product thickness it rarely falls! I do get it out by beating the bottle up but wondered if perhaps someone else has better suggestions! Love this stuff and I WILL use it all one way or another!

Page 1 of 1
Dell1329665820.2472359 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006Northern California

First of all welcome to the boards. I take a lid from one of the 32 oz. shower gels and put it on the bottle and store the bottle upside down, on the lid. From using it that way one morning until the next morning the product does go down to the lid. That works for me. Hope this helps.

icezeus1329666458.4274568 PostsRegistered 10/30/2010Southern California

Hi, welcome to the boards. I do the same as the previous poster. I turn it upside down, that way the next morning it has fallen, and I leave it that way until I have finished the product.

Frannie1329666788.3072032 PostsRegistered 9/27/2006

I do the same - store them upside-down when they get low. I do the same thing with shampoos and conditioners. When no more of the Philosophy shower gel will come out of the bottle I add a little water then store it right-side up again. It's amazing how many more showers you get out of it. Same goes for shampoo. I have also cut open plastic tubes and bottles to get the last bit of product out. Especially in tubes it's amazing how much is left in there. I hate glass and hard plastic (uncuttable) bottles for this reason. (Like BE moisturizer and Neutrogena retinol.) I'm not going to buy any products anymore in glass or very hard plastic bottles. The stuff is too expensive to waste a drop.

njnj1329666910.637593 PostsRegistered 8/28/2011

Great minds think alike! Smile

I've been doing the same for any lotion, with or w/o a pump. Catch it in a lid after leaving it upside down overnight.

arklady1329668433.4832392 PostsRegistered 1/31/2011

Welcome newbee!

I am the same way, I want to get the very last drop out.

I have laid the lotion bottle in a sink of hot water until it slides down and then store upside down. It thins up just enough and cools back to thick.

HTH Smile

YES, I'm from the south
YES, I wear shoes

millieshops1329669189.7615132 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

I'm told there's no way a pump can be designed to catch all the lotion and get it out, so turning it upside down at some point is the only way. I keep the tops from my 3-in-1's and put them on other bottles - they fit other Philosophy things and I alos use them for the bottom of my WEN cleansers.

Just last week I took a pair of scissors to a tube of lotion which wouldn't give up anything more and lo and behold, I found at least 3 days' worth of an expensive cream just sitting there surrounding the opening but not moving toward it! I used a makeup spatula to dip out a portion, shoved the open tube into a baggy and used up those last few portions!

ihavetoomu­chstuff1329674747.51521 PostsRegistered 7/20/2010

Hi Newbie!

I, too, store the lotions upside down with the saved flip-top cap, but owing to the thickness of the product, I have to bang the bottle against the side of the counter to get it to come down. It's effective, though: it's unbelieveable how much you can salvage this way! I HATE to waste things, and if I have to bang the bottle a little, so be it. It's worth it for all the lotion that is still useable!

I Teach Too1329675280.47311790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.
On 2/19/2012 Dell said:

First of all welcome to the boards. I take a lid from one of the 32 oz. shower gels and put it on the bottle and store the bottle upside down, on the lid. From using it that way one morning until the next morning the product does go down to the lid. That works for me. Hope this helps.

That's what I do too! I just put a cap on my Papaya Passion Punch yesterday.

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

I Teach Too1329675332.84711790 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Eastern Iowa...If you build it, they will come.
On 2/19/2012 millieshops said:

I'm told there's no way a pump can be designed to catch all the lotion and get it out, so turning it upside down at some point is the only way. I keep the tops from my 3-in-1's and put them on other bottles - they fit other Philosophy things and I alos use them for the bottom of my WEN cleansers.

Just last week I took a pair of scissors to a tube of lotion which wouldn't give up anything more and lo and behold, I found at least 3 days' worth of an expensive cream just sitting there surrounding the opening but not moving toward it! I used a makeup spatula to dip out a portion, shoved the open tube into a baggy and used up those last few portions!

Yep...I do this too!!

I know too much to go back an' pretend.

Newbee1329679693.864 PostsRegistered 2/19/2012

Thanks ladies...{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

i like cel­ery13296836355274 PostsRegistered 6/23/2010
On 2/19/2012 ihavetoomuchstuff said:

Hi Newbie!

I, too, store the lotions upside down with the saved flip-top cap, but owing to the thickness of the product, I have to bang the bottle against the side of the counter to get it to come down. It's effective, though: it's unbelieveable how much you can salvage this way! I HATE to waste things, and if I have to bang the bottle a little, so be it. It's worth it for all the lotion that is still useable!

I was starting to wonder if I was doing something wrong, since everyone else mentioned just turning the bottle upside down! With PG supersize, that never works for me. I have to do what you've mentioned, and "whack" the bottle a few times. Even then, it still seems to not always work. Maybe the body emulsions "drip" down overnight because of the silkier formulation, but PG lotion seems to be a bear for me!

I usually cut the supersize bottle open with scissors for the remaining lotion, and that remaining lotion lasts a surprisingly longer time than one would think! I love that I always end up having a couple more weeks worth of product than I had thought. I then place the cut portion of the bottle in a ziplock baggy to keep it fresh. I know some people had mentioned they feel it takes too much effort to cut the bottle open, but I don't mind doing it, and I like not wasting product. :-)

Life is beauty full.

JoElla1329716085.71710552 PostsRegistered 8/6/2006Texas

I keep the caps, and then keep it upside down, then I wack the bottom of it to get it out.

upshatesme1329716459.01686 PostsRegistered 2/8/2011long island, ny

if it's one of the 32 oz bottles you can also cut around the bottle and then put a piece of saran wrap or foil with a rubber band on it too! then you can really scoop every precious bit out. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Life is too short to fret the small stuff… Let’s all live in a kinder, gentler world!

Daysdee1329757445.70719043 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

I try to get every last drop out of products too. For tubes of lotion, etc. I cut the tube and scoop the remainder out and put it in a clean jar I've saved from another product. (Just be sure and label it!) For the bottles, I turn them upside down too. For the shower gels, I add some water for the last couple of drops. I'm no longer buying anything in 32 oz. size; they just last way too long since I use such a variety of scents.

Queen of S­cott1329758883.2931031 PostsRegistered 3/24/2010
I have finally learned to save the flip-top cap that comes on the 32oz size bottles. When It gets to low for the pump to work, I take out the pump and replace it with the original cap, then store it upside down, like others have said. This works well for me.

ladyfl1329866724.6290 PostsRegistered 4/29/2010
On 2/19/2012 upshatesme said:

if it's one of the 32 oz bottles you can also cut around the bottle and then put a piece of saran wrap or foil with a rubber band on it too! then you can really scoop every precious bit out. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Me too!

purrmom1329867413.333400 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010Mid-MO

This is the reason I've stopped buying 100% Pure caffeine eye cream, as much as I like it. There's always product left & the bottle is glass so it can't be cut.

Page 1 of 1