A Day of Vicenza Style(R)
30 Members and 10218 Guests Online

philosophy

OT - Will "return to sender" work so don't have to pay return shipping?

Started 1294947634.373 in philosophy | Last reply 1296170333.973 by just bee

Hello ladies!

I forgot to extend an auto delivery and now have some product I don't need. I haven't opened the package yet - can I just write "return to sender" to have it sent back without paying the return shipping or should I open the package and send back with the return label?

Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 1
ennui1294947691.74319957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

Since you're on auto-delivery, why don't you just keep it?

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

Gammy-511294947704.22332 PostsRegistered 4/8/2010

Yes...just bring it back to the po unopened and tell them to send it back...no shipping fees for you.

CindySue1294947919.24185 PostsRegistered 9/9/2007Michigan

Thanks Gammy!

Ennui - it's a BE foundation at $25, which I know I can get somewhere else for cheaper when it's on sale or at least not pay nearly $6 in shipping. I still have over 1/2 the container from last fall when I ordered it. Actually, I should just really cancel the AD... I don't know why I ordered it that way! {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Cinder631294948532.953843 PostsRegistered 11/29/2006

It might work (though ROS is for first-class mail only; is that how your products come) but I think it's fraudulent -- the 'return to sender' option is for unsolicited mail, not items you have requested and changed your mind about. You're just shifting the costs off to other innocent users of the U.S. Postal System.

csv3201294949505.6576724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

If the package has been delivered or driver released (left on porch) a rts (return to shipper) doesn't work. You have to greet the UPS man at the door and instruct him to code into his diad, (Delivery Information Acquisition Device-the thing he carries around) customer refused, return to sender. I ALWAYS WRITE DOWN THE TRACKING number and ask the UPS man to scan the barcode and enter RTS into his diad while I'm standing there.

poodlpoo1294954606.0034265 PostsRegistered 10/23/2010

RTS>

SuziQ21295329192.3532518 PostsRegistered 9/18/2008

If it is a delivered pkg (that you did order on AD ).....the pkg does have to be stopped by confronting the mail person and refusing it on the spot. Otherwise, you may not be able to do it.

You could just suspend your next AD out a few months longer than you first intended - and keep it this time. Otherwise it will cost you return shipping fees.....which doesn't make sense if you will be getting it again before too long.

I have extended things out to 6 months or one year on AD. You could also lose that auto delivery if you RTS. Good luck

Chocolate; It's not just for breakfast anymore.

cpn2jxp1295330185.963506 PostsRegistered 9/12/2007
On 1/13/2011 mj198 said:

If the package has been delivered or driver released (left on porch) a rts (return to shipper) doesn't work. You have to greet the UPS man at the door and instruct him to code into his diad, (Delivery Information Acquisition Device-the thing he carries around) customer refused, return to sender. I ALWAYS WRITE DOWN THE TRACKING number and ask the UPS man to scan the barcode and enter RTS into his diad while I'm standing there.

Not true. No matter when it was delivered, if it was left at the door and is not opened, all you need to do is call 800-742-5877 and UPS will retrieve it and send it back. You can also give it to any UPS man. Or leave it at the UPS store marked refused. Again as long as it hasn't been opened UPS will take it back and return it on the same tracking number. If you drop it at a UPS customer counter they will also give you a receipt you dropped it off.

SuziQ21295342544.8772518 PostsRegistered 9/18/2008

I was told that I could not just RTS by the Q. If you are right......then maybe you can.

Just remember...If you return it, that the sender has to pay for the return shipping.....that is an added expense to them and they are charged for it. If you do this much, the Q will send you a letter I am sure....

Chocolate; It's not just for breakfast anymore.

cupcake131295357884.3731898 PostsRegistered 10/11/2010Kentucky

The only time I would expect to send something back free is if it were defective or if I didn't order it. Otherwise, I feel it is dishonest!

battyoldbr­oad1295358662.531206 PostsRegistered 6/19/2010

I was told by UPS that the only way to use the RTS 'method' was to REFUSE delivery entirely - then UPS will send it back without charging you. Once it's delivered (with or without a signature), it is considered to be in your possession and your responsibility. BUT I'm guessing that the Q might still charge you returning shipping costs.

curlywhite­dog1295359209.256483 PostsRegistered 6/2/2005Central NJ
On 1/13/2011 CindySue said:

Hello ladies!

I forgot to extend an auto delivery and now have some product I don't need. I haven't opened the package yet - can I just write "return to sender" to have it sent back without paying the return shipping or should I open the package and send back with the return label?

Thanks in advance!

CindySue:

What you CAN do and what you SHOULD do are two different things. You ordered this and it was sent at your request, just because you changed your mind doesn't mean you should return it at someone else's cost but your own.

Post 1 says you "forgot to extend an auto delivery" but post 3 says "I know I can get it somewhere else for cheaper"and while both of those things may be true, neither of those things is a reason to push the return cost off on someone else. Do the right thing and send it back at your own cost then cancel your auto delivery before you forget.

Maria

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up".

DrPhil1295359822.9232175 PostsRegistered 12/2/2008
On 1/13/2011 Cinder63 said:

It might work (though ROS is for first-class mail only; is that how your products come) but I think it's fraudulent -- the 'return to sender' option is for unsolicited mail, not items you have requested and changed your mind about. You're just shifting the costs off to other innocent users of the U.S. Postal System.

I agree - no wonder the USPS is losing money - they should not allow this scam..."Oh I forgot to delay my A/D now I don't want to have to face any consequences, let me pass that off to someone else."

"I'm not bipolar but biwinning." - Charlie Sheen

LipstickDi­va1295370982.1437968 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

Yeah I wouldn't do this. You did order the item. If you don't want it, incur the cost to send it back. I agree with CurleyWhiteDog. In the first thread you say you forgot to extend the a/d but in another thread, you basically don't want the item because you think it costs too much now.

I had something delivered to me once that I didn't order. It was left on my porch by UPS. I called UPS and they said as long as the package wasn't opened, I should write "refused" on the box and they would send a driver to pick it up. But if it was opened, I had to pay to send it back. I hadn't opened it so UPS had a driver pick it up and all was good.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

LipstickDi­va1295371002.90737968 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

Dup.

Last edited on 1/18/2011

Last edited on 1/18/2011

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

clemintine1295371123.30718221 PostsRegistered 11/5/2007C.C.

I can do that, because we have a PO box. If it arrives in my box I can just walk to the window and back it goes. UPS you have to be home. If you send it back next time they come you have to have an order to do that or take it to the PO.

I think I'd keep it and do a major delay on the next one. Like 6 months!

Last edited on 1/18/2011

Last edited on 1/18/2011

cpn2jxp1295378538.607506 PostsRegistered 9/12/2007

The RTS cost of refusing a package is incorporated into the shipping rates charged by UPS. That is part of the policy. We do not charge QVC or any other shipper if you refuse a package. Oh and don't feel guilty. Do you actually think for one minute that QVC pays the same shipping rates that you and I do? We have shippers that do mass quantity, like QVC that get a huge shipping discount.

If you come home and find a package that you don't want you can call UPS and they will pick it up. Hey people change their minds. It happens. Or you can give it to the UPS man if you see him. Don't feel guilty. To me it is no different than shopping, getting an item home and changing your mind and driving back to the store. You just spent your time and gas to return it didn't you? That is the business mailorder companies are in. You are buying something sight unseen.

I just ordered 3 of the same t-shirt. One came UPS and 2 (in separate pkgs thru the post office???) All on same order. Well if I hate the one I open I am refusing the other 2!! If QVC can't ship 3 of the same item all ordered at the same time in one package then they are not very bright. Trust me for all 3 I paid well over 18 in shipping. If I send them all back at the post office it would have been 8.00

Last edited on 1/18/2011

Last edited on 1/18/2011

Last edited on 1/18/2011

CindySue1295548449.513185 PostsRegistered 9/9/2007Michigan
On 1/18/2011 curlywhitedog said:
On 1/13/2011 CindySue said:

Hello ladies!

Thanks in advance!

CindySue:

What you CAN do and what you SHOULD do are two different things. You ordered this and it was sent at your request, just because you changed your mind doesn't mean you should return it at someone else's cost but your own.

Post 1 says you "forgot to extend an auto delivery" but post 3 says "I know I can get it somewhere else for cheaper"and while both of those things may be true, neither of those things is a reason to push the return cost off on someone else. Do the right thing and send it back at your own cost then cancel your auto delivery before you forget.

Maria

Wow who knew this post would get so much activity. I've not looked at it or this board since I posted it.

I have sent it back with the return postage included in the package - which by the way was $6.95 when original shipping was only $3.97 FOR THE SAME ITEM. Someone makes money on that!

Curlywhitedog: Please don't be condescending to me. It was an honest mistake on my part to not delay my auto ship with an innocent question. I've never done a RTS before and I was just wondering how the process worked. I still have 3/4 of a container of it at home and YES, regardless of the auto delivery, I CAN get BE foundation cheaper elsewhere, even if it's cheaper in shipping. It is a combination of BOTH of those items that I chose to not keep the item. Not that I should have to explain myself to you. If I wanted to get spoken to that way for asking a simple question, I'd have asked my mother.

CindySue1295548850.117185 PostsRegistered 9/9/2007Michigan
On 1/18/2011 Queen of Posts said:

Yeah I wouldn't do this. You did order the item. If you don't want it, incur the cost to send it back. I agree with CurleyWhiteDog. In the first thread you say you forgot to extend the a/d but in another thread, you basically don't want the item because you think it costs too much now.

I had something delivered to me once that I didn't order. It was left on my porch by UPS. I called UPS and they said as long as the package wasn't opened, I should write "refused" on the box and they would send a driver to pick it up. But if it was opened, I had to pay to send it back. I hadn't opened it so UPS had a driver pick it up and all was good.

Queen -

It was a USPS item. It was a combination of both - first I didn't extend my AD so it showed up in my mailbox (MY fault, I totally agree). I don't need the item as I still have 3/4 of another one at home, which, yes I can get cheaper somewhere (not that I think it's too expensive) else WHEN I need more.

It was a simple question on how RTS works as I've never done that before, but heard about it. I have sent it back, at my OWN cost, which was nearly double the cost for shipping it to me. Lesson learned.

ALL: I certainly didn't mean this question to become a moral or ethical debate on paying for shipping to return items. I really wasn't trying to scam the system or scam any service (UPS or USPS) out of money!!

Cookie061296152637.793389 PostsRegistered 7/14/2006Washington State

Wow aren't we a judgemental group. Geez the poor lady just asked a simple question and you are all giving her your statements on right and wrong.

I have had to refuse delivery on items shipped to me UPS and just a few weeks ago I got something that I did not want. I just gave it to the UPS lady at my office and she took it and said no problem it would be returned. The only catch is, that you cannot open the package otherwise you will have to pay to have it returned. You don't have to refuse it the moment it is at your doorstep, just don't open it and return it. Simple as that.

depglass1296162879.78723906 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

You might be opening yourself up to a headache and total loss of the purchase price. What if this thing goes missing? You have no proof you "sent it back." At that point an extra jar of BE will look like a very small problem.

just bee1296170333.95314317 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico

And this is why I discontinued all my A/D items...

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

Page 1 of 1