Fall Fashion Clearance
142 Members and 12840 Guests Online

philosophy

Dr. Oz and skin care

Started 1293126958.68 in philosophy | Last reply 1293200794.033 by Bella HS

I don't usually watch Dr. Oz but I was flipping through channels yesterday and lo and behold he had an "expert" on with him and they were discussing how women unneccessarily spend waaay too much $$ on skin care. He basically talked about how moisturizing with an SPF is all we need. The stress was on moisturize and any drugstore brand will do the job, we don't need any of those fancy ingredients. He also said we should be taking care of our skin type (dry, oily) not age of skin so forget "firming, anti-wrinkle, age defying" etc etc.

It was interesting and I've heard a lot of this before. I have come to the same conclusion about the importance of moisturizing. I have stopped buying neck creams cuz I don't see any difference if I use or don't use and what ever I slather on my face goes on my neck and I call it "good". I do use an eye cream vs my face moisturizer because my eye area is very sensitive but O of Olay does the job just fine.

There may be some clips from the show on his website. Some may agree or disagree with his advice???

Page 1 of 1
4downthesh­ore1293135703.672429 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007PA

I like Dr. Oz & I saw that episode.I am one who has tried everything.Mostly high end becouse I always thought the more expensive the better results.Well, after I was forced to give it all up becouse my rosacea got so bad & I had to go on prescritption cream & plain old cetaphil face wash.I noticed my skin looked good without using the clarisonic & the other high priced skin care products I used every day.I now only use cetaphil,rx cream at night for my rosacea & a physical sunscreen during the day.My skin look's better than ever & I have more money (ha ha).The hardest part was that it became an addiction & it was difficult for me to stop buying new skin care products.I am a big sucker for anything that promises me great skin.

ihavetoomu­chstuff1293135808.9231503 PostsRegistered 7/20/2010

I respect Dr. Oz, but of course, he's a MAN! Women try many creams and lotions and potions and elixirs until we find what works for US, and then we use it until we find our needs change and then we search for the new item that our skin likes. I myself notice that some moisturizers are much more effective than others, although they all moisturize; and prices vary wildly, so I have to make sure I don't blow my budget. Also, I agree with you about neck creams: whatever goes on my face goes on my neck, and also around my eyes, which tolerate creams well. I got some samples of Philosophy eye cream, so I'll try that too.

Was this "expert" a man or a woman? What was the age of this person? Was this person a dermatologist or aesthetician? Those things might affect my opinion of the "expert" advice.

Mammy Yokum1293136003.633517 PostsRegistered 6/24/2005

A good, non-irritating cleanser

+ An AHA/BHA product

+ Retin-A

+ A well-formulated moisturizer as needed

All I need!

colliemom31293136936.26715514 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

I guess he's saying most products do bascially the same thing so more pricey items aren't always better?

suzeecat1293137212.841600 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 12/23/2010 Mammy Yokum said:

+ An AHA/BHA product

+ Retin-A

All I need!

I would add sunscreen to your list.

just bee1293139527.8714003 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico

One of my instructors made a point of saying that shampoo, conditioner, and lotion are completely useless items, yet he failed to tell us what the alternative is. I have to remember to ask him when school starts up again.

This thread reminded me of something. I caught a glimpse of myself the other day and thought: Why, I look tired! I have to giggle when women run to a product to fix something like that.

I thought about my look and realized that I get up at four in the morning, work all day, get home at nine at night, then either go to classes on my days off or do homework for those classes; additionally, I have a persistent virus, it's the holiday season, and I'm fifty-one years old. If I look tired it's probably because I'm freakin' tired!!!

I don't think a cream is going to fix that. That said, has anyone tried that Pond's Clarant B3 stuff? Wink

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

itslikeher­dingcats1293140548.344039 PostsRegistered 9/20/2010

I don't know who his expert is but these so-called experts don't always know what they are talking about. They just have an opinion, which everyone can and will have. It doesn't mean that their "opinion" is the correct one or the best one either.

Having spent much time and money getting my license as a skin care aesthetician, I know that it highly important to have a good cleansing routine as well as just a moisturizer. Its important to also have a good agent to buff the dead skin as well to give our skin a clean and clear appearance. If we just slop moisturizer on and forget that we need to exfoliate, we get a build up and skin looks tired and dull. As we age, our own natural exfoliation slows down and its imperative that we do exfoliate even with a nice wash cloth. A sun screen is imperative if we don't want to have spots and damage.

kathy2131293141777.283218 PostsRegistered 8/20/2005

It was acutally Paula Begoin from the book Don't go to the cosmetic counter without me.

She made perfect sense. Buy your products by the type of skin you have & not anti-aging, uplifting etc. They are not skin types. The skin care lines are huge money making profiteers & believe me I have bought into the hype & have tried many many skin care lines & don't see any improvement. some feel nicer than others & they are the ones I like.

daisymommy1293142739.11351 PostsRegistered 3/9/2010

Something else that was interesting on that program is when they recommended milk of magnesia as the best facial mask you could use. Going to give it a try.

just bee1293143222.00314003 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico
On 12/23/2010 daisymommy said:

Something else that was interesting on that program is when they recommended milk of magnesia as the best facial mask you could use. Going to give it a try.

My mother recommended that when I was eleven or twelve and suddenly had the worst case of pubescent acne in America. She used it when she was younger -- and she was born in '23. Women have been using it for a very long time with satisfactory results.

It's been a few decades for me, but I do recall it helped.

My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.

colliemom31293144961.6115514 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010
On 12/23/2010 just bee said

This thread reminded me of something. I caught a glimpse of myself the other day and thought: Why, I look tired! I have to giggle when women run to a product to fix something like that.

One of the craziest products I've seen lately is something that is supposed to make the cellulite on your legs magically but temporarily dissapear. I really don't know what it is, but just looking at the box depresses me. It shows someone with super cellulited legs on one side of the box and then perfection on the other.

Last edited on 12/23/2010

just bee1293146139.00314003 PostsRegistered 1/3/2010Albuquerque, New Mexico
On 12/23/2010 colliemom3 said:
On 12/23/2010 just bee said

One of the craziest products I've seen lately is something that is supposed to make the cellulite on your legs magically but temporarily dissapear. I really don't know what it is, but just looking at the box depresses me. It shows someone with super cellulited legs on one side of the box and then perfection on the other.

You mean... it doesn't work? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

squeezebox1293168687.395522 PostsRegistered 2/17/2008Land of oz!

I used to think any ol' skincare would do, then I tried just 2 Peter Thomas Roth products and wowzers..... I am amazed at what 2 products can do.
The two products are his night-time retinol fusion and un-wrinkle night. Blowin me outta the water with impressive results. Can't wait til he's on in January!
I believe each of us has to do/use what works for us. Every skincare so called expert has their own opinion. I'll just do my thing!

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

ceegee21293172840.141029 PostsRegistered 8/28/2009

On that note..a few other things I have heard of using are Preparation H for puffy eyes (think I would rather catch up on some sleep), and Visine for breakouts to help reduce redness.

There are a very few products that I use that are what I consider to be expensive. I do like the MW retinoid pads but I have found some products that are much more reasonable for cleansing and moisturizing that are really inexpensive and work great for me. Agreed that exfoliation and sunscreen are necessary.

edited for typo.

Last edited on 12/24/2010

We are angels with but one wing, and to fly we must embrace each other - anonymous

manny21293174024.211780 PostsRegistered 3/11/2009

I don't think the skin care experts are giving an opinion, they are fact. I don't understand why women are duped into believing they have to spend a lot of money to look good. Basic cleaning, moisturize and exfoliate, done. I got this same information from my dermatologist many years ago, he said the sun is the number one enemy. This is a Dr. he is an MD and knows what he is talking about. I have great skin with the simple routine. Save your money ladies.

MsIzzy1293191445.81500 PostsRegistered 12/14/2009Nashville, TN

I really like Dr. Oz but I have to respectfully disagree. Philosophy has done wonders for my skin & I'm not the only one who has noticed. My skin is more clear & bright, my pores are smaller & the dark circles under my eyes are significantly faded. I recently got kiss me tonight & I'm amazed how much less I'm struggling with dry lips this winter. phil's body lotions & butters are keeping my skin much more confortable too.

As others have said, each person has to find what works best for them. Philosophy works for me & I'm very grateful to have found it.

LoriLori1293195303.9575085 PostsRegistered 4/4/2008

I second what Ms. Izzy said, philosophy has done wonders for my skin too.

I've used philosphy skincare for over six years, at times along with other brands as well, and my skin looked very, very good before I started using the retinoid pads -- but now it looks amazing. There is NO WAY it would look like this if they didn't work! I also use good moisturizers and exfoliate regularly and always wear sunscreen on my face and hands and neck, even if I'm only going out for a short time.

Dr. Oz has to fill all those hours with something -- and he can kiss my makeup optional face! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

-- edited for typo

winamac1293195862.9719053 PostsRegistered 8/21/2005Carmel, Indiana

Paula Begoun always has an agenda.

Even though I use good skin care, I do think there is some truth to what Dr. OZ states. I truly believe I could more than likely get rid of most of my skin care as long as I have Retin A, a mild soap like Basis or Dove and a high-non chemical oil free SPF around my eyes and on my face.

I am paring my skin care regimen down. Retin A is crucial imho. I also think primers are worthless and an extra, unnecessary step.

A diet high in fruits and vegetables also dramatically helps. I have , overall, very good skin, and I attribute a lot of it to Retin A, SPF and loads of fruits and veggies that are low on the glycemic index--i.e. berries, broccoli, grapefruit, tomatoes, etc.

Pook1293196730.563381 PostsRegistered 5/5/2007

I would take this info with a grain of salt. I believe that each person has to find the right formula for them and it could be cheap stuff or not. The chemicals in sunscreen are probably doing much more harm to our bodies than letting the sun shine on your skin. We need the vitamin D. The cancer is more than likely coming from all the exposure to the chemicals in our daily lives that were not there years ago. And there definitely is a difference between your eye area and neck area as the skin texture is way different. I finally realized it and my skin is now hydrated everywhere whearas before nothing I was having good results with on my face helped my eye and neck area. You can ask different derm doctors and each will probably say different things whick all goes back to finding what works. I use natural products for the most part as I have very sensitive skin but I have hopefully found what works the best for me - and it may not work for most others. There is no one stop help for everyone. Some swear by crisco but my makeup slid right off my face and was shiny and yuck feeling. Do not belive what Dr Oz says or his experts as they all have different opinions.

Bella HS1293200794.038076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY
On 12/23/2010 suepriem said:
On 12/23/2010 Mammy Yokum said:

+ An AHA/BHA product

+ Retin-A

All I need!

I would add sunscreen to your list.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}....no longer in jail with facial serums and creams.

I use a wascloth or microfiber cleansing cloth with Philo's Microdelivery Wash daily exfoliater on alternating days with my Clarisonic and a hydrating cream cleanser. My cleanser, toner and moisturizer are all from Alpha Hydrox. I add a drop of jojoba or cranberry seed oil once in a while because raised the strength of my retin A and I do use a bit of cream undereye as a preventive from retin A irritation close to my bottom lashes. Also one moisturizer for everything....undereye, neck, face and chest

I use Philosophy's Vit C Turbo boost powder form which blends in beautiful with any product because of powder form. Depending on my life schedule I often switch using my Vit C either day or evening. If daytime I put some powder C in my hand and a few drops of sunscreen and mix together. In the evening I mix some in my moisturizer about an hour after Retin A absorption.

Page 1 of 1