Respected Contributor

Pet Emergency Clinic Reviews

In preparation for an emergency, should one take place, I went online to an emergency clinic that's been mentioned by a couple of people at Unleashed and the grocery store when we stopped to chat. They had only good things to say about it. Too many of the reviews, however, are not complimentary. Things such as misdiagnoses, too many X-rays, too much medication given, etc., etc. kept popping up. Those posting their reviews all took their dogs to their regular vet later in the week and all of them were told that either the diagnosis was incorrect, that the X-rays were not necessary, etc., etc. Oh, and then, of course, is the cost which in my opinion was prohibitive for the treatment that was given.

One in particular that stands out is a gal who took her dog in at 3 a.m. This was the instance where two x-rays were performed, 5 rx were given and the diagnosis was incorrect. She had a feeling that all of this was way over the top. So she took her dog in to her regular vet the following week and he diagnosed the dog and issued one prescription. It was all it took and her dog improved quickly.

I know that vets must cover all possibilities, but the reviews kept saying the same thing over and over. Much ado about nothing; wrong diagnosis; costly; over medicated dogs when they left the emergency room. One person was not even notified that they were going to administer anesthesia and when he got the bill, he freaked out. He complained to the staff, but they couldn't do anything after-the-fact.

Too, after these negative posts were placed, there was an automated-type response apologizing but with the same wording for each one. Very robotic.

I'm between a rock and a hard place because this place is the only one nearby and would be convenient; however, I can't afford a $700 visit. The next closest one is 25 miles away in a suburb.

Admittedly, the positive reviews outweighed the negative ones. Still… I feel uneasy about this place.

Any suggestions?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Valued Contributor

Re: Pet Emergency Clinic Reviews

When I look at reviews for anything of importance I start with the lowest ratings and look for a pattern. I would say that if this emergency clinic is the only one available and you need to go there go armed with as much knowledge as possible and ask questions.

If the clinic that is 25 miles away has significantly better ratings and it is an ""easy"" 25 miles it might be worth the drive just for your peace of mind. Where I live 25 miles can mean a 20 minute or a one hour trip.

Esteemed Contributor

Ask your vet what he/she thinks about it . . . if you're happy with your vet, I'm sure that would be the first piece of information to set your mind at ease.

Emergency clinics are just that -- dealing with emergencies -- and not all of them are created equal. They don't have your pet's chart, only your word and background of what's happening, and they have to act super quickly if indeed you do have an emergency. They don't have a good clinical history to work from (in most but not all cases).

Not all of those go well, simply by the nature of the pets' condition who need them. A lot of the situations don't go well, either, because the pet parent in question a) doesn't want adequate tests performed that will help the vets drill down to what's wrong, b) can't give helpful information to the vets or caregivers, necessitating too many tests being performed, etc. etc.

Take a look at the staff's credentials if they have them posted on line.

My friends and I have had to rely on emergency clinics several times with good results. My one pet in fact couldn't travel because it was too risky, and the vet got on the phone with me and talked me through what had to be done. He was first rate.

By the way, $700 is inexpensive for such a visit if that's their baseline cost. Try to stockpile some more funds just in case (we had to scrimp to do it, but it was worth it).

The other thing you could do is go to the clinic some time and hang out in the waiting room to get a feel for the place, if you're able to do so before an emergency occurs.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Emergency clinics are expensive. Jake cost almost four thousand dollars. They have 24/7 care that sometimes a sick pet needs. I would worry more about the reviews. You can always do something like care credit to pay.
Esteemed Contributor

Emergency clinics staff the clinic nights, weekends and holidays to be there when you need them, that is why they can be expensive. They should be used for just that emergencies. My sister works at one and some nights they are swamped with life and death emergencies while others they are just taking care the overnight guests. They always take calls and will provide information to help the pet owner decide if it is an emergency or it can wait till the next morning to see their regular vet. Many times it can wait. Talk to your vet or even visit the clinic, while reviews may be nice they are often tainted. Go with your gut reaction.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

What does your vet say? Our vet recommends two emergency clinics. We have used both and both are very good, and both are a good distance away, and yes expensive. They always do a cost estimate of everything that may be performed and you have to agree to it. So for the one person saying anesthesia was done without consent I'm not sure how, in that case I would think he wouldn't have to pay. But if it was an emergency where it was necessary then yes. We always tell them whatever is necessary just do it.

We still go to the emergency vet because our dog's internist is there.

Check into getting Care Credit and also see if the emergency vet takes it. That will help you be prepared a little bit and you won't have to worry about cash up front.

Esteemed Contributor

Contact your regular vet and get their input. If you can visit the closer one do so as soon as possible for your own piece of mind. No emergency clinic is cheap by any means there are staffed 24/7 365 but the care credit might be the way to go. We have an emergency clinic about 20 min from us and chose to go to one 1 1/2 hts away. We felt they could better our moose's needs. Good luck
Esteemed Contributor

It's also important to remember if it is a serious emergency you may have to go to the closer one because you need to get there quickly.
Respected Contributor

Remember that a certain number of the posters have lost their pets in spite of emergency care, and they are looking for someone to blame with their 20/20 hindsight.

Other posters are correct, share your concerns with your vet. Basically, the clinic which concerns you is all you've got unless it's not a severe emergency, in which case you can drive to the other clinic (call first to let them know you are coming).

Are you likely to have an emergency with your pet? We've had pets for decades and only three trips to emergency. Emergencies don't always occur during hours when the vet is closed, and I'm sure your vet would take your pet in for care during working hours.

Trusted Contributor

It's a slippery slope to use an emergency vet, but sometimes very much needed. I had a sick dog (Joey) that I took to the vet knowing he was sick, but no idea he was as sick as he was. My vet closes at 6:00 and we arrived at 4:30. By the time he was diagnoised, he was in very critical condition and needed be be transported to the emergency vet. My Dr. sent over the tests he ran and my little guy was kept on iv fluid all night and lots of additional testing. I waited in the lobby the entire night just in case he didnt make it. At 7:00 am he had survived and we went back to the regular vet to continue with treatment. Those 12 hours were 4000.00 dollars, but I do believe it saved his life. I hope to never have to do that again. But the decision is so very hard.