Valued Contributor

Blessing reminder ideas after losing beloved pet?

We lost our beloved rescue dog Sadie Mae to cancer a few days ago. Sure do miss her. Whenever we have lost someone we love, we've bought windchimes all in different tones, as a blessing reminder. Whenever we hear the chime, it will remind us of the love we shared for each other, & we'll say a little prayer. Over the years we've sadly collected quite a few windchimes, & I think we need to chose something else for this blessing; but I'm stumped on what to choose. We will be moving soon so I can't plant a tree, which would normally be my next choice. Any ideas for us?

Thank you in advance,

SerenityNow

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Contributor

Re: Blessing reminder ideas after losing beloved pet?

Sorry for your loss. I know how you feel i just lost our Golden Retiever 19 day ago. She was my best freind and i miss her so much!! She would have been 10 on may 24th. Take care and get the best wind chime for you fur baby.
Valued Contributor

Thank you Susan, and I'm very sorry for your loss, as well. We're still experiencing those jarring moments when we find one of her toys behind furniture, or expecting to see her at the door & then painfully remembering she is gone. The blessing reminder is a comfort, so I'm hoping to figure it out soon. Thanks for your reply.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry about the loss of your dear Sadie. We have been in your shoes, too -- prayers for your comfort and peace.

Here are some ideas:

1. We bought this garden resin stone and place it in our flower garden with flowers that symbolize our pet's qualities. http://www.qvc.com/Plow-&-Hearth-Paw-Print-Square-Stepping-Stone.product.M29781.html?sc=M29781-SRCH&...

There are also resin garden stones you can order with your dog's name on them -- just type it into google and they'll pop up.

Good flowers are forget-me-nots and violets (symbol of faithfulness and devotion), or zinnias (symbolize thoughts of friends who are absent).

2. Make a framed shadow box with your dog's collar, a lock of her fur and/or tags and a photo of your dog.

3. Plant a flowering shrub or tree in honor of your dog.

4. Make a donation to a retriever rescue or animal shelter in your area in memory of your dog.

5. Buy one of those multi-picture frames and do a photo collage that features pictures of all the aspects of your dog.

6. Create a memory book of your dog, with photos and including a letter from each family member written to Sadie about how much she meant to them.

Honored Contributor

SerinityNowMyndi and Susan 19, I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my dog on March 5th and posted about it here. I know how hard it is. I like Sammycat's ideas. I bought a memorial stone for one of my dogs once from plaquesandmore.com. I put it under a tree and remember her every time I see it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

Thanks everyone we are all in this time together.
Valued Contributor

Thank you so much, Sammycat & NickNack. I will probably end up doing several things, and discussed it with my dh to see what he wanted to do, too. We both like the idea of a favorite quote engraved on a stone that we can put in our garden, which will be eternal & here long after we are gone from this earth. I love the idea of flower symbology of our pet's qualities--such an endearing idea, Sammycat!

Some memorial quotes are too sad, but I love a quote from a fav song that I always listen to after losing a beloved pet: "Into the West" by Annie Lennox. The song is about having to part from a loved one, but is encouraging & supportive @ the same time it breaks your heart to listen to it. The quote is this:

Don't say:
"We have come now to the end"
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again
And you'll be here in my arms
Just sleeping.

If you aren't familiar with the song, you could probably find it on Vevo dot com, or YouTube.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post messages to me. It truly means a lot.

SerenityNow

SerenityNow!
Respected Contributor

SerenityNow...Sorry for the Loss Of your Fur Baby Sadie Mae

Stepping Stones ~ Dog Fountain

~A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words~
Valued Contributor

Thank you, MarLoCat! How very sweet of you to go to that effort on my behalf. I truly appreciate it, thank you.

SerenityNow!
Honored Contributor

Here are mine-

I got my two rescues from two different organizations. On one organization's site, I can pay it forward and pay the adoption fees for a pet without a home (it is a no-kill rescue), so I might do that "just because" for a cat who has caught my eye.

For an indoor/outdoor pet, I might put something outdoors, like a birdhouse or bench that would remind me of our time together outside.

Or, I might contribute to a medical fund (there are several "special needs" pets whose care is too expensive to maintain without donations) at one of the rescue organizations.

You could also buy new house numbers for your new place, so everytime you come home you will be reminded of your beloved Sadie Mae.

There are also dog mailboxes, like these: