Regular Contributor

My little 5lb. yorkie rescue[12 yrs] has been on fresh pet refrigerated for 4 yrs since she has only one tooth. She decided about a week ago she doesn't like it anymore.She also has a mass in her mouth that will come out late March.I don't know what to feed her,she is spoiled and loves people food. Suggestions on dog food for a toothless baby.

tia

Honored Contributor

It sounds like it's the mass in her mouth that's causing her not to eat and not that she doesn't like the food. Can you not reschedule the surgery for a little bit sooner? When my dogs won't eat I've tried cooking for them. I boil chicken breasts and put a little low sodium chicken broth on it sometimes. I've also scrambled eggs and cooked pasta for them. If they're sick, though, they won't even eat what I've cooked.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

My little chihuahua who is really picky loves Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw. I know it probably sounds like it's a hard texture but it's not. It comes in small pattys and we just break it up into pieces. You could easily crumble it into very small pieces and it isn't hard or chewy to eat so it won't hurt her mouth. They gave me sample for free at my local groomers to see if she liked it. You can look up stores in your area on their website stellaandchewys.com or they sell it on Amazon for reasonable prices.

Oh and can also be reconstituted with water if they prefer a wet texture, my chi eats it dry though.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Honest Kitchen makes a human quality dehydrated dog food which is very soft to eat when hydrated. You can order samples inexpensively online at their site if you want to try it.

I would not recommend cooking your own dog food for your dog as it's almost impossible to know and meet all the requirements of a fully nutritional dog food. The quality dog foods are approved by the AAFCO to be nutritionally complete.

You have to watch it with snacks and treats for such a small dog because it won't take much to cause her to be overweight.

Hope the surgery goes well, and maybe she'll eat better again and return to good health.

Regular Contributor

Thank you all....

Honored Contributor

I completely disagree that you can't meet a dogs nutritional needs with homemade food. All it takes is reading up on what is allowed in commercial dog food approved by the AAFCO to know that they are not the gold standard for pet nutrition. Not by a long shot.

I've been feeding prey model ( home "made") raw for almost 10 years and some of my dogs it's the only food they have had since puppyhood. Only my chihuahua eats commercial raw and that's only 1 meal day, her other meal is prey model.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Jaxs--most people are not willing or able, like you are, to do the research needed to prepare a balanced dog food at home.

I'm glad your dogs have thrived on the food you prepare. That's great.

Trusted Contributor

My dog developed allergies to certain meats and grains so my holistic vet gave me a great idea for making his food at home. I can slow cook the meat in the oven or crock pot and then she suggested adding salmon oil and chia seeds for omega 3s, calcium citrate for bones and teeth, probiotics for digestion, evening primrose oil for joints and anti-inflammation, potatoes, greens like kale, parsley and broccoli (I mix it all in my vitamix with some vegetable stock) and a hard boiled duck egg. His stomach problems have disappeared, his thyroid imbalance is much better and his energy is back. She said to stay away from chicken, grains and meals for many dogs. Mine has an allergy to chicken and she said many dogs seems to have this, especially smaller dogs. He loves his diet and actually has lost weight too. If your dogs teeth are bad and he gets ulcers, if you have a vitamix, make a soup out of the cooked meat, potatoes and greens and he may like that. My dogs love it. I buy meats that are low in fat and/or on sale and I just avoid pork and high fat meats. I find a lot of turkey legs, breasts on sale and those are easily cooked in the slow cooker. She also said you can add cottage cheese if your dog isn't allergic to dairy products.