Super Contributor

My dog and me where confronted by a neighbors big dog who is allowed to run free.

We have a neighbor who lets there Doberman pinscher run free. Last night I was walking my little rat terrier suddenly I heard someone yell and the dog came after my little dog. She was so scared trying to get away from him she came out of her harness and could have been hit by a car. The guy was trying to catch him so him and his dog kept going around me Ang my dog. He kept bumping into me and I almost fell. This is a common thing with this person letting the dog run free. On his side of the street there is poop all over everyone property. I'm afraid to take my dog out worried she will get hurt. I don't want a problem with this guy so I don't know what to do.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My dog and me where confronted by a neighbors big dog who is allowed to run free.

As the answer that everyone gives.....call animal control.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Re: My dog and me where confronted by a neighbors big dog who is allowed to run free.

Oh, this is a pet peeve of mine, that's for sure. Our dog is allowed to run free, but only within the boundaries of our yard. Even if he sees another dog on the street and gets all anxious to run to him, he knows he's not allowed to approach. When we go for a walk, he's always on a leash. Honestly, you do have to think about your own protection. As much as I love many dogs, your protection and your dogs is Priority One and a Doberman is no dog to mess with. In your shoes, knowing that this dog could approach at any unpredictable time, I might consider carrying pepper spray or a stun gun. Using one or the other would give you enough time to get away. Additionally, if none of the neighbors are willing to call and report this, it's going to continue. If enough of you call and not give up, the county/city will have to deal with the neighbor and he will likely be fined.

Honored Contributor

This has happened to me a couple times and I tend to yell at the owner "You need to control your dog!" ....... I appeared scared and they apologized and backed down, grabbing their dog, but if no one has ever told the owner this is distressing, they may think it's perfectly acceptable behavior.

It's up to YOU to do something .... call Animal Control, talk politely to the owner, whatever .... but whatever you do, DO SOMETHING. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Super Contributor

I told him his dog belongs on a leash, he said sorry but nothing happened. I told him my dog could have been hit by a car. He just walked away.
Respected Contributor

Little Daisy, your best and easiest option is to take your own dog in your car to a local park where you can walk her in peace. I live out in the country, and we cannot safely walk on the side of our highway because of the car/truck risks. I have to take all three of my dogs to a park to walk, there is no other option. When we lived in town, over two decades ago, we used to walk our dogs on the city streets, but when that is not a safe option, due to loose dogs or any other cause (you don't know what sort of chemicals your neighbors might be putting on their lawns!) you just have to go somewhere where it is safer to walk.

Respected Contributor

Do you have a leash law in your town? If so, then obviously this guy is violating it. He is not only endangering other people and their dogs, but his own dog as well. You should find out the number to call.for animal control and report him each.time this happens. It's not fair to the neighborhood. Why should you have to be worried every time you go out ? Why should you have to be inconvenienced to take your dog somewhere else to walk?
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Use every avenue available to you. Call local animal control, if you have to, call the police if it happens more than once, call the humane society to see if they can confiscate the dog for not being properly cared for. I'd hit them with as much as I could.

I can't tolerate people letting dogs run, no matter if you live in a city or in the country. We live in the country, and when dogs show up here running, and I can entice them, I put them in our garage, call the pound, and have them picked up.

When people have to pay fines and pick up dogs too many times, they get the message and keep them confined. I should't be terrorized or threatened by other's animals, and my animals shouldn't be kept inside constantly because someone doesn't uphold their responsibility.

Super Contributor

I am so sorry this happened--sadly, it has also happened to me and it is very scary and maddening. I now carry pepper spray and my cell phone in my pockets during our walks, I contact animal control and the police anytime there are issues. As others have commented if no one notifies the appropriate people, these irresponsible pet owners continue to get away with their intolerable behavior. Best wishes to you and your little one.

Respected Contributor

I would notify animal abuse for these actions, also file a police report, and notify others if you live in an environment which has a Board of Directors.

If you live in an area which has a HOA, CO-OP or Condo Board of Directors I would immediate inform them in writing of what occurred, as this type of animal abuse and irresponsibility ownership of a dog is totally violating many laws on many levels, especially on the levels of endangerment to the general public, and animal abuse.

Leashes are to keep a pet and people safe from being chased, bitten, mauled and hurt......and in most horrific cases even killed.

All owners are responsible for ensuring their animals receive all mandated shots from their vet as needed.

The owners are responsible for ensuring they follow the leash law to the letter to keep their pets and everyone else safe, and if they do not they should be reported to the proper authorities, so action can be taken immediately.

It is too late if someone is mauled, bitten, suffers rabies, or is killed as a result of the leash law not being utilized by owners, and in those cases the owners are held libel and sued, and can also have more legal consequences in a court of law as to jail time for knowingly allowing their animal to bring injury or death to another.