Respected Contributor

My kitten is acting different

Percy is almost 5 months old.

Despite his attempts to sabotage it, he was neutered 8 days ago. I have never had a male kitten before, so neutering is new to my life!

Percy is acting so differently! He was Mr. Big Stuff, all full of male kitten bravado and swagger. He played a lot, was fearless, and somewhat independent.

Now, he is quiet, clingy, not very playful, etc.

Is this common after neutering?

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My kitten is acting different

My male kittens were a little low and clingy after their neutering (it is surgery -- not as difficult in recovery than spaying, but still surgery with recovery time).

After a week or so, they began to pick up steam again. If you don't see any signs of steady improvement within a day or two from today, I'd take him in to the vet -- he may have an infection related to the procedure that's making him feel poorly. If you see that he's not u rinating, get him in immediately -- that's a life/death emergency in male cats.

Good luck - hope your little guy feels better soon!

Trusted Contributor

When I've had cats neutered, they've always "bounced back" pretty quickly. I think I'd call the vet and perhaps take the little guy in for a check if he's still dragging more than a week after the procedure. And as Sammycat said, if he isn't u rinating normally, you should view the situation as urgent.

Honored Contributor

I would definitely call the Vet. My cats have always bounced back very quickly. It sounds like something could be wrong.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

If your vet has Saturday hours, it might be a good idea to call and get him squeezed in for an appointment just to be safe.

Honored Contributor

My toms have tended to be completely as they were before as soon as they fully recovered from being put under. At times, I felt like I had to put the skids on their activity, because I was afraid they'd bust a suture. As the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and if you're concerned, have him checked out sooner as opposed to later.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Your kitten should be back to normal after 8 days. Please have him checked, as something surely sounds amiss.
Honored Contributor

I got Bogey from the shelter at 3 months old .... he was perky and playful and loved jumping and playing with the other kitties.

While I was paying & checking him out, I was told that he had been neutered that morning! They said kitties bounce back very quickly ......... so maybe you want to at least call the vet tomorrow morning? {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Honored Contributor

I do hope that your precious boy is feline much better better this morning.

If not, I agree with the others...you should call your vet ASAP this morning and tell them that you want to bring Percy in today so that he can be checked out to make sure that there is nothing wrong with him.

Sending lots of special prayers and hugs his way.

(((((((((((PERCY))))))))))

-----------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^= {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Respected Contributor

My big boy (RIP) who was full of vim and vigor kept to himself for a day or two. I did take him to the vet the following day just to be sure he had not developed a fever. The vet assured me it would take a couple of days even with the heartiest of them. Sure enough, he bounced back by the end of the third day and remained his true alpha self.

If your fur baby continues to act like this, I'd see the vet.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown