Honored Contributor

There was an article in our local news paper about a young couple who have rescued 6 service dogs and are hoping to rescue more by opening a non profit rescue kennel for them. I had no idea that these dogs who have served our country are not provided for until they die. The last dog these people rescued was going to be euthanized because no one wanted him. I for one am going to help these wonderful people and the dogs out by donating to their cause. If any one wants to know more about the service and how you can help ,their email is K9HeroHaven@yahoo.com

Respected Contributor

I would think that people would be clamoring to adopt these well-trained service dogs! Until now, I don't think there was a way for people to find out about them, though. Hopefully through this young couple's efforts, people will now be aware of their plight and will offer to adopt them. I know I would!

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Topaz I'm sure these people could tell you what's involved in adopting these service dogs, they did mention it in the article and it was quite involved. Some of the dogs have medical problems and are suffering from post traumatic stress just like the soldiers, so just not any one will be able to care for the dogs.

Honored Contributor

Do they have a website? I'd like to read more about this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor
On 3/9/2015 NickNack said:

Do they have a website? I'd like to read more about this.

Me, too! Thanks for posting, baker!

Honored Contributor

No web site yet, just the email I posted, but I'm sure they would be happy to answer any questions via email and point you in the right direction if you are interested in adopting or donating to their kennel.

Super Contributor
On 3/9/2015 baker said:

No web site yet, just the email I posted, but I'm sure they would be happy to answer any questions via email and point you in the right direction if you are interested in adopting or donating to their kennel.

Thanks, baker: will definitely contact them! What a great post! Smile Hope you have a great week!

Respected Contributor
On 3/9/2015 baker said:

Topaz I'm sure these people could tell you what's involved in adopting these service dogs, they did mention it in the article and it was quite involved. Some of the dogs have medical problems and are suffering from post traumatic stress just like the soldiers, so just not any one will be able to care for the dogs.

Thanks, I hadn't even thought of that. Of course the dogs will have special needs and will require just the right homes. Still, I think these folks are doing a wonderful job and will no doubt find many homes for these brave service dogs.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor
You can google 'adopt military dogs' to find several groups who work with the military to evaluate the dogs and adopt them out. I believe all dogs are processed out of Lackland in San Antonio, TX and priority order for adoptions is military handler, other military, then civilians.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for posting. I thought these service dogs would spend the rest of their days with the soldier..etc. So happy about this couple..wish I could do the same!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West