Occasional Contributor

I am thinking of getting pet insurance for my doxie. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with pet insurance?

Honored Contributor

I'm planning on getting pet insurance for my next dog. I met a representative from Trupanion one time and was really impressed with what they offer. They are also the insurance company that my Vet recommends. You can go to their website and read a sample of a policy and get more information.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor
I have Healthy Paws for my one year old labradoodle. I think I pay around $28 per month and have something like 90% coverage, I forget what my deductible is (I don't think it's too bad though). Anyway, I haven't had to use it yet so I can't comment there. Healthy Paws has good reviews from the labradoodle forum I frequent and their pricing seemed good.
Super Contributor
On 3/7/2015 mizzpeabody said: I have Healthy Paws for my one year old labradoodle. I think I pay around $28 per month and have something like 90% coverage, I forget what my deductible is (I don't think it's too bad though). Anyway, I haven't had to use it yet so I can't comment there. Healthy Paws has good reviews from the labradoodle forum I frequent and their pricing seemed good.

mizzpeabody--thank you so much for sharing this information! (BTW--I love Labradoodles!)

Super Contributor
On 3/7/2015 NickNack said:

I'm planning on getting pet insurance for my next dog. I met a representative from Trupanion one time and was really impressed with what they offer. They are also the insurance company that my Vet recommends. You can go to their website and read a sample of a policy and get more information.

My vet recommended this for my cat as well. He had some blood work done, and I was afraid of what the tests would find...plus the cost to deal with that. Thank goodness all turned out fine with the test.

But I remember at the time going to the website and checking this pet insurance out. It seemed pretty good to me, and reasonable cost/deductible. I honestly forgot all about this, glad to see a post about it so I can go back and look into getting my cat this insurance. He is 10 years old now, so this may come in handy over the next several years.

Esteemed Contributor
Not a fan. People tend to get all caught up in the routine expenses that are partially covered. A owner should be able to cover these when they decide to get a pet. Most of the more common injuries and illnesses are not covered. Would be better served to have a medical savings account to be used only for the really expensive issues that may occur.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor
I tend to agree with the above poster. Open up a savings and put the premium in the account every month. Then you can use it for yearly stuff or emergencies. At least then you can make a tiny bit of interest. I think it is a waste of money.
Super Contributor

I've had good luck with PetPlan insurance. I got it when our dog was a puppy. It turns out he had panno when he was a puppy and then he developed hip dysplasia. Insurance covered all the x-rays, blood work and all his medication for over four years. In my case, insurance has paid off more than I put in.

I would buy it again for a puppy. I'm not sure what I would do if I got an older dog because it costs more.

Honored Contributor

Had it for one dog. They paid a lot toward vaccinations, but every other problem the dog had was excluded either "pre-existing", common in that breed, etc. I dropped the policy since it just didn't pay. Seems everything was excluded. (Dog was a rescue, not a puppy.)

Honored Contributor

I thought it was a waste of money, too, until I found out about Trupanion. It does not pay for routine exams and vaccinations. It only pays for the bigger things. It pays 90%. You choose your deductible. (I don't have it but think I'll get it for my next dog.)

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau