Honored Contributor

Keeping dogs away from fences

A couple months ago new neighbors moved in who leave their dogs outside 24/7 unless it's below freezing. One of their dogs guards the fence between our houses and annoys my dogs when they are outside. My dogs only go outside for bathroom breaks or if we are outside playing with them. I'm starting to get really fed up with the racket of their dog barking at the fence and getting my dogs riled up. I'm thinking about using some sort of motion detector to dissuade the dog from guarding it. Has anyone tried it? Contacting the neighbors is useless, I already tried that.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Keeping dogs away from fences

I am not sure what you can do. If it is inside a fence it is contained. Our neighbor used to have a little Yorkie. Her and jake would always bark through the fences.
Honored Contributor

yeah, there really is not much you can do. The dogs are contained and not really imposing on your space except to bark. I suppose you could always call the County or City regarding the barking but a.) that doesn't make nice neighbors, and b.) they County/City won't do anything if they are not barking constantly 24/7 or late into the night. If they are only barking when you are out there, it is just something you kind of have to live with.

Honored Contributor

I'm looking at ultrasonic bark training devices. They have ones that you can put outside that will detect barking up to 50 feet away and emit an ultrasonic noise that dogs don't like. I've also considered a motion detecting sprinkler to try and keep him away from guarding the fence. I'm not living with it. I'm sick and tired of that dog fence guarding my property and driving my dogs crazy. If he wasn't left outside nearly 24/7 and it was just unfortunate timing that we were out at the same time, I'd deal. But at this point my dogs can't even enjoy their own yard on the occasions they are outside.

They actually have 2 dogs but only one is the problem. He even got into my yard a couple weeks ago because he loosened the board and squeezed through, and went after my 13 year old pug when we was out going to the bathroom. The pug completely ignores him at the fence too. My husband told the neighbor but the dog is still out there 24/7. At least he was smart enough not to try and go after my German shepherd. She loves small dogs but I know she would defend my pug and chihuahua if it came down to it.

Honored Contributor

We have our veggie garden on that side of the yard and we left about 12 feet open instead of going all the way to the front fence. So my husband is going to extend the garden fence the rest of the way and give us more space which will also mean our dogs can't get to the fence on that side. So hopefully that will stop him. I'm sure he'll still bark when I work in the garden but at least the dogs can't up to the fence.

Crossing my fingers this cures it. Plus if he gets in my yard again, he's stuck in the veggie garden. My shepherd can easily jump the garden fence because it's really short but she never does. She knows she isn't allowed in there.

Trusted Contributor

What kind of fence is it? and who's fence is it? If it belongs to them, I would put up my own privacy fence further back on my property. That would create a buffer to keep them apart. My dog would LOVE a motion activated sprinkler. Any kind of sonic noise thing would bother your own dogs.

In my borough, you're not allowed to put a fence on the property line-it has to be a few feet back on your property. If the fence is yours, I would complain that the neighbors are 'using' your fence to contain their dogs. Make them get their own fence. Call the borough.

Respected Contributor

Do you have a city ordinance? No barking between certain hours plus they need to have water, food and shelter outside at all times.

You can get a tape recorder and record the barking and use it for proof. A cop gave me this information. You also need a witness.

I had problems with the new neighbors when they staked their dogs to a tree and left them outside barking all the time. One dog is gone and I don't hear the other one anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

If the dog is getting into your yard then they dont have a secure fence. You may have some recourse with animal care.
Honored Contributor

I adopted a new dog last fall. She made a real pest of herself barking at my next door neighbors. I borrowed a friend's anti barking device. It didn't make a bit of difference. She barked right over it. Forget that idea.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My husband extended the veggie garden fence yesterday. So far it hasn't stopped their dog from barking but my dogs basically ignore him now that they can't get up to the fence.

I'd already ruled out the ultrasonic barking device because I didn't want my dogs to have to endure the noise when the neighbor dog was barking.