Trusted Contributor
I have an 8 year old Yorkie that is a puppy mill rescue. She seems to have something called leather ear on the tips of her ears. It causes a dark hard gunky substance on the skin. This is a new experience for me and I have had dogs most of my life. Even the groomer doesn't know much about it. Anyone have experience in the treatment and removal of this gunk? Any ideas what causes it? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

I looked it up on the internet. It is caused by a fungus usually found during the winter months. Look up the Dreaded Leather Ear Blog for Yorkies and it explains it and gives advice on what to use to get rid of it.

There is a whole page on Leather Ear to choose from.

Trusted Contributor

Luvmyteddy:

Thanks so much for taking the time to look it up and respond, I really appreciate it. I had read the information on that site and have tried the 1% clotrimazole cream, which has helped some over several weeks. I am afraid to try the Tee Tree Oil mentioned on the site, as I have read it is toxic to pets and we have another dog and a cat and they all lick/groom each other. I don't want any of them to get sick in the process of trying to help solve the ear problem. This QVC forum has so many wonderful people with experience in all kinds of things, so I thought I would turn to this wise group and see if anyone here had experience with this problem and what advice/information they might be able to offer. Thanks again for your help!

Honored Contributor

Have you discussed this with your Vet? It sounds like something that might need an antibiotic.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

NickNack: I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved furbaby, Nick. I read your post with great interest as my little toy poodle (rescued from a puppy mill at age 5 – now age 7) had serious genetic heart issues which were discovered by the shelter that rescued her. A very generous guardian angel came forward to pay for her heart surgery at the University and it has helped her feel so much better. However, because the surgery was not performed within the first year of life they were not able to totally repair her heart. She is doing well now, but does have a murmur and will develop further problems as she ages. She is not on medicine now, but they said that would come later. I am committed to giving her the best life ever, for however long she may have. She is such a sweet, loving little soul who suffered in many ways throughout her first five years of life and I am determined to make all the rest of her days spectacular! As, I read your post about Nick, I saw my future and my heart broke for both of us.

Thanks for the advice about seeing the vet for antibiotics; I may have to do that. Before we adopted the yorkie and the poodle we have now, we had a sweet miniature poodle, rescued from being a show dog and then a breeder – poor baby had even been debarked, which apparently is normal for show dogs. Anyway, I foolishly got her a booster rabies and distemper shot all at once and she had a horrible reaction. They put her on antibiotics, steroids, and a stream of other drugs that never seem to end, as she deteriorated before our eyes. It was horrible to watch. I have been gun-shy about shots and drugs ever since.

Thanks again for your help and know that my heart hurts for you.

Honored Contributor

How about using coconut oil or almond oil on the affected parts of the ear?

Trusted Contributor
On 3/6/2015 lolakimono said:

How about using coconut oil or almond oil on the affected parts of the ear?

That is a great idea! I have coconut oil on hand, so I think I will try that today. Thanks!

Everyone has been very helpful and I sincerely appreciate any and all ideas.

Honored Contributor
On 3/6/2015 Havarti said:

NickNack: I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved furbaby, Nick. I read your post with great interest as my little toy poodle (rescued from a puppy mill at age 5 – now age 7) had serious genetic heart issues which were discovered by the shelter that rescued her. A very generous guardian angel came forward to pay for her heart surgery at the University and it has helped her feel so much better. However, because the surgery was not performed within the first year of life they were not able to totally repair her heart. She is doing well now, but does have a murmur and will develop further problems as she ages. She is not on medicine now, but they said that would come later. I am committed to giving her the best life ever, for however long she may have. She is such a sweet, loving little soul who suffered in many ways throughout her first five years of life and I am determined to make all the rest of her days spectacular! As, I read your post about Nick, I saw my future and my heart broke for both of us.

Thanks for the advice about seeing the vet for antibiotics; I may have to do that.Before we adopted the yorkie and the poodle we have now, we had a sweet miniature poodle, rescued from being a show dog and then a breeder – poor baby had even been debarked, which apparently is normal for show dogs.Anyway, I foolishly got her a booster rabies and distemper shot all at once and she had a horrible reaction. They put her on antibiotics, steroids, and a stream of other drugs that never seem to end, as she deteriorated before our eyes. It was horrible to watch. I have been gun-shy about shots and drugs ever since.

Havarti, thank you so much for your condolences on the loss of my dog Nick. Yesterday was really hard, but I'm feeling a lot better today.

I'm sorry about your little poodle with heart issues. When the time comes she may do really well on the meds. I've had five dogs with heart problems, including Nick. Only one of them died from heart failure. The others died from cancer. The heart meds now can really be miracle workers. Your little dog was certainly lucky to have been rescued by you.

I hate to hear of dogs that have been debarked. I thought that was really common for puppy mills to do, but not for breeders. I think it's actually against the rules when you're showing dogs. It seems very cruel to me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the advice about seeing the vet for antibiotics; I may have to do that.Before we adopted the yorkie and the poodle we have now, we had a sweet miniature poodle, rescued from being a show dog and then a breeder – poor baby had even been debarked, which apparently is normal for show dogs.Anyway, I foolishly got her a booster rabies and distemper shot all at once and she had a horrible reaction. They put her on antibiotics, steroids, and a stream of other drugs that never seem to end, as she deteriorated before our eyes. It was horrible to watch. I have been gun-shy about shots and drugs ever since.

Havarti, I have to add what a wonderful mommy you are to your pets. I am hopeful the coconut oil helps as it is antifungal..and my little minpin loves a little taste. She had problems with Frontline, she wasn't able to walk. She is very sensitive and I quit vaccinating her too, because of reactions. She's so tiny. I'm also gun shy about drugs and shots too! Please keep us updated about your yorkie!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor
On 3/6/2015 NickNack said:

<p class="MsoNormal">NickNack: I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved furbaby, Nick. I read your post with great interest as my little toy poodle (rescued from a puppy mill at age 5 – now age 7) had serious genetic heart issues which were discovered by the shelter that rescued her. A very generous guardian angel came forward to pay for her heart surgery at the University and it has helped her feel so much better. However, because the surgery was not performed within the first year of life they were not able to totally repair her heart. She is doing well now, but does have a murmur and will develop further problems as she ages. She is not on medicine now, but they said that would come later. I am committed to giving her the best life ever, for however long she may have. She is such a sweet, loving little soul who suffered in many ways throughout her first five years of life and I am determined to make all the rest of her days spectacular! As, I read your post about Nick, I saw my future and my heart broke for both of us.

<p class="MsoNormal">Thanks for the advice about seeing the vet for antibiotics; I may have to do that.Before we adopted the yorkie and the poodle we have now, we had a sweet miniature poodle, rescued from being a show dog and then a breeder – poor baby had even been debarked, which apparently is normal for show dogs.Anyway, I foolishly got her a booster rabies and distemper shot all at once and she had a <em>horrible</em> reaction. They put her on antibiotics, steroids, and a stream of other drugs that never seem to end, as she deteriorated before our eyes. It was horrible to watch. I have been gun-shy about shots and drugs ever since.

<p class="MsoNormal">Thanks again for your help and know that my heart hurts for you.

Havarti, thank you so much for your condolences on the loss of my dog Nick. Yesterday was really hard, but I'm feeling a lot better today.

I'm sorry about your little poodle with heart issues. When the time comes she may do really well on the meds. I've had five dogs with heart problems, including Nick. Only one of them died from heart failure. The others died from cancer. The heart meds now can really be miracle workers. Your little dog was certainly lucky to have been rescued by you.

I hate to hear of dogs that have been debarked. I thought that was really common for puppy mills to do, but not for breeders. I think it's actually against the rules when you're showing dogs. It seems very cruel to me.

NickNack:

Thank you for sharing with me that the meds will likely prove very helpful for my poodle, when the time comes. I was relieved to hear that heart problems was not the cause of death in most of your dogs who had heart issues yet was so sorry to hear that cancer played such a major role. It seems that cancer is so much more common in animals these days (as well as for humans). It really makes you wonder what is causing this….is it something in their food, is it environmental, or just what is it?????

I was horrified to learn that the dog had been debarked. I had never heard of such a thing and it made me sick to think of it. She was always very protective of her throat – she never liked to be touched in that area or be scratched under her chin (like so many dogs do). She must have always carried memories of it.

By the time I adopted her (at nearly age 5) she had been a top prize winning show dog regionally, (according to the breeder she hated the show ring), she had been moved on to be a breeder dog, and then she had been adopted out and returned 4 times. She must have really hated the show ring because she even hated seeing dog shows on TV (there is that dog memory again)– and she normally loved to see animals on TV. The show/breeder was going to put her down because she was too hard to place. She came home with me that day and was the most loving, wonderful, devoted dog you could imagine. I usually pick the dog that is missing a leg, has a crooked tail, one ear up and one ear down, no teeth or teeth that jut out in a vicious toothy grin, etc. – show dogs are not my thing. Her sad and desperate situation (and perhaps that she really wasn’t a show dog at heart) caused me to pick her and she was always devotedly at my side for the rest of her life. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.