Honored Contributor

I'm Worried About My Dog, Nick

I’m really worried about Nick. He barely ate anything on Sunday or Monday. Yesterday and today he didn’t eat anything except a few very small pieces of chicken. I’ve fixed pasta, scrambled eggs, chicken with broth and chicken without broth. He's on an appetite stimulant. I wish I could take him to the Vet tomorrow, but we’re supposed to have freezing rain and snow. My car doesn’t do well in the snow and especially not with freezing rain/ice. I think I’ll call my vet tomorrow and ask about increasing some of his heart meds and see if I can bring him in on Friday. He’s not coughing though, which would mean he had fluid in his lungs and needed to increase his dosage. He just won’t eat. I don’t understand why he won’t eat but isn’t coughing. The last time he quit eating was Dec. 2013, but he was coughing. That’s when we started him on his heart meds. He has a high grade heart murmur/mitral valve disease. He’s been acting great ever since he stabilized on his meds over a year ago until this week.

He’s been hanging around the house in places where he never goes. He was sitting in the corner of my bedroom tonight. He only goes there when he doesn’t feel well. He was sleeping on the rug in the bathroom earlier, and now he’s in the hall. He’s usually wherever I am. I am so worried about him. He just had blood work two months ago, but he didn’t have all of it done. She was going to do some more in six months, but I think she needs to go ahead and do it now.

Nick will be 14 years old in June. I’m so afraid his time with me is almost up. It makes me so sad. If anyone has experience in anything like this or any advice for me I would appreciate it. I've had several dogs who had mitral valve disease, so I'm very familiar with the progression of it. Nick had a heart murmur for years before he started coughing and got on medication. I'm sorry this is so long. I'm just so worried about him and thought some of you might have some insight for me. Thanks.

__._,_.___

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Worried About My Dog, Nick

Based on my experience, when a dog refuses the tastiest of morsels for two days, you need to get him to the vet...like yesterday! It could easily be something very serious.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

NickNack--I am so sorry that Nick is not feeling well. I wish I could offer some vet advice but that is not my area of expertise. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you both--I do understand what you must be feeling: our pets are our family and the bond is so strong. He is lucky to have you as his mom and I am certain you feel very lucky to have him in your life! Take good care, and I hope your vet can help when you are able to contact him/her. Please keep us updated as you feel able.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 Kachina624 said: Based on my experience, when a dog refuses the tastiest of morsels for two days, you need to get him to the vet...like yesterday! It could easily be something very serious.

Thank you Kachina. I didn't realize how little he had eaten until yesterday, and I couldn't take him today. Believe me, he goes to the best vet in town and I give him the best care anyone could possibly give a beloved pet. I'll take him tomorrow afternoon if the ice has melted, and if not we will go on Friday. I'll try hand feeding him again tomorrow. I know it's his heart. I just don't know what needs to be done.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 lucylover64 said:

NickNack--I am so sorry that Nick is not feeling well. I wish I could offer some vet advice but that is not my area of expertise. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you both--I do understand what you must be feeling: our pets are our family and the bond is so strong. He is lucky to have you as his mom and I am certain you feel very lucky to have him in your life! Take good care, and I hope your vet can help when you are able to contact him/her. Please keep us updated as you feel able.

lucylover, thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I really appreciate your kind words. I've had Nick longer than any other dog I've ever had, and he's very special.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

NickNack, that is not enough food, he will be even weaker tomorrow. I would take him tomorrow even if you have to take a cab. He is not acting normal and I would hate for you to wait too long. I am sorry you are going through this.

Best wishes to you and Nick.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 luvmyteddy said:

NickNack, that is not enough food, he will be even weaker tomorrow. I would take him tomorrow even if you have to take a cab. He is not acting normal and I would hate for you to wait too long. I am sorry you are going through this.

Best wishes to you and Nick.

Luvmyteddy, He was still eating his dog food on Sunday and Monday, just not enough of it. It's mainly Tuesday and Wednesday that he really hasn't been eating. Tuesday he ate some, but not much, of his dog food. I reread my post, and I did make it sound like he hadn't eaten since Sunday, but that's not really true. Taking a cab to the Vet isn't a bad idea though, if they'll even be open. They'll probably only be open half a day if we really do get ice. Thanks for the suggestion of taking a taxi.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Yes, not eating (or hardly eating) and laying/sitting in unusual areas are never a good sign.. Please try to get him to the vet asap so he can get help to feel better right away. I am not trying to scare you but I've experienced this several times and a trip to the vet has always been needed, and quickly.

Honored Contributor

On 3/4/2015 HappyDaze said:

Yes, not eating (or hardly eating) and laying/sitting in unusual areas are never a good sign.. Please try to get him to the vet asap so he can get help to feel better right away. I am not trying to scare you but I've experienced this several times and a trip to the vet has always been needed, and quickly.

I know he needs to go to the vet. I'll get him there as soon as I possibly can.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I've had pets with cardiac problems including heart failure. How do his gums look - pale and dusky/bluish or pink? Have you been able to get a heart rate and/or respiration rate on him? If you can't get out, this info may help the vet make an adjustment over the phone in one of the cocktail of meds he's on. He may have downshifted a bit and need an adjustment....or he may have slipped into heart failure -- has he been placed on vetmedin yet or do you have it at home in case of heart failure?

Praying for a positive outcome for your Nick. When mine had to go on vetmedin or something similar for the first time, it worked very well. Hang in there and keep us posted.