Valued Contributor
We are in Florida for another week. Cat sitter comes in every day. He is very concerned that there isn't very much poop in the litter box. He want s to come home. Could this be serious? I forgot to ask if they are eating the same amount. (2 cats) i will ask him to call the vet tomorrow. Any thoughts?
Trusted Contributor

Re: Help with my cats! Please!

My guess is that they are stressed because you are away. My cat, in her younger years, would get very upset if we went away....and my daughter was still living at home, so she wasn't alone.

Then, when we got home, she refused to eat if I fed her, lol.

I would find out how much they are eating. Then, maybe call the vet.

Has this happened before? Maybe someone spending the night at your house would help.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Super Contributor

You need to immediately ascertain whether your cats are actually in danger -- or if the cat sitter is nervous because of lack of experience. How well do you know this cat sitter? Has he/she watched your cats before?

Note that your cats may not be eating much and/or having normal BM's because they are emotionally disturbed that you're gone.

Ask the cat sitter SPECIFICALLY how many BM's and piddle clumps have been in the litter box daily. Call your vet yourself and ask the vet if that's normal for cats.

Cats can go a few days without doing a BM -- but they should piddle daily. If your cats are disturbed to the point that they aren't eating or if they aren't drinking and/or piddling this could develop into an emergency situation very quickly.

If you find out (from the vet) that the amount of BM and piddle clumps they are producing is a normal amount, perhaps you could call someone that knows the cats to check in on them or spend a couple hours with them at the house.

Valued Contributor

n/m