Frequent Contributor

Help for puppy peeing when excited!

My 7mo old puppy is doing well with the potty training except quite frequently when my adult daughter goes up to him he pottys all over. She has never so much as raised her voice to him, taken him to obedience school and he listens to her really well. We can't figure it out. Any thoughts on this?? Hopefully it is something he outgrows. Anyone else ever have this problem?
Honored Contributor

Re: Help for puppy peeing when excited!

awww, that is just what happens sometimes with puppies when they get excited. They usually grow out of it. Just be patient with him and when he starts, take him out (if inside) and have him go potty. Smile

Frequent Contributor

Thanks HappyDaze! That's encouraging! I told my daughter he must have a crush on her!!
Honored Contributor

Google "puppy pees when excited what to do." I just did that, and several websites came up. The first one that came up for me was petmd.com. There was some pretty good advice on that website. The article was called, "fixing submissive/excitement urination in dogs." It first explains how to tell the difference in which it is. Whatever you do, don't fuss at him. That makes it worse.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

On 2/21/2015 bosmamaa said: Thanks HappyDaze! That's encouraging! I told my daughter he must have a crush on her!!

yes, he probably does. Smiley Happy By the way, what kind of puppy? I just love dogs!

Frequent Contributor

Not sure what kind he is but he looks alot like a sheltie pup. I got him from a rescue shelter. His batch of puppies was left in a trailor court. He's a sweetly!! And thank you NickNack for your information!! I will check it out.
Honored Contributor

Years ago, when I adopted a dog, he would widdle when I came home, so I ordered him to his bed, easy as when I left, he was kept in the bedroom, and this cured him as he would not widdle in his bed.

Super Contributor

On 2/21/2015 HappyDaze said:

awww, that is just what happens sometimes with puppies when they get excited. They usually grow out of it. Just be patient with him and when he starts, take him out (if inside) and have him go potty. Smile

Hi, bosmamaa--

Congratulations on your new puppy! We have had so many puppies/dogs over the years and in our experience, I agree with HappyDaze--many of our pups have diddled when excited but all grew out of it. I grew up with Cocker Spaniels and they did it as puppies all the time and our Labs have done it as well. One thing we tried as much as possible was to keep calm when they got overly excited and kept our tone of voice even with only one of us talking to them until they settled a bit. Clearly it was hard to do that, but it did seem to help at times. Best of wishes to all of you, and remember that it will all be okay! Bless you for being a rescue Mom! Smile

Frequent Contributor

THANKS LUCY!!
Honored Contributor

On 2/21/2015 bosmamaa said: Not sure what kind he is but he looks alot like a sheltie pup. I got him from a rescue shelter. His batch of puppies was left in a trailor court. He's a sweetly!! And thank you NickNack for your information!! I will check it out.

awww, I love hearing of rescues being adopted. Bless you for that! Rescue dogs make some of the best pets ever.

Good luck to you and lucylover has some good ideas about how to handle it too. You never want to talk sternly to them for something like this because it could make things worse and the puppy isn't doing it on purpose. But I know you know that already. Smiley Happy