Super Contributor

We have a 2 1/2 yr old, 40 lb terrier mix rescue dog and an 18 month old, 90 lb black Lab who have given us so much laughter this snowy and cold weekend! Despite the cold, when the sun was out earlier today, they went flying outside, chasing one another in the fluffy snow, sticking their faces in the drifts, and just being silly! It seemed like the more we laughed the more they performed! They dug up big sticks buried under the snow and flew around the yard as if they had discovered golden bones! We feel so blessed to have them in our lives and love them dearly!

I would love to hear other winter 4-legged kid stories! I hope everyone is safe and warm and stay that way! Smile

Esteemed Contributor
Our 7 1/2 week puppy already likes the snow. Problem is she cant stay out long because the temps are so bitterly cold. She will be glad when it gets warmer and csn play more outside.
Super Contributor
On 2/15/2015 ccassaday said: Our 7 1/2 week puppy already likes the snow. Problem is she cant stay out long because the temps are so bitterly cold. She will be glad when it gets warmer and csn play more outside.

How is she doing?! I have been so excited for your family and am glad you were able to get her early! Best wishes to all of you and enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/15/2015 lucylover64 said:
On 2/15/2015 ccassaday said: Our 7 1/2 week puppy already likes the snow. Problem is she cant stay out long because the temps are so bitterly cold. She will be glad when it gets warmer and csn play more outside.

How is she doing?! I have been so excited for your family and am glad you were able to get her early! Best wishes to all of you and enjoy!

She is doing great. As i type this she woke me up at 430 crying. She is so sweet. Last night she laid on my lap for about fourty five minurtes and just cuddled.
Super Contributor
On 2/16/2015 ccassaday said:
On 2/15/2015 lucylover64 said:

She is doing great. As i type this she woke me up at 430 crying. She is so sweet. Last night she laid on my lap for about fourty five minurtes and just cuddled.

I am so happy for all of you! Congratulations and hope you all stay warm!

Honored Contributor

The poor dogs here are suffering from cabin fever even more than we people. It has been so bitterly cold here this weekend (wind chills in the minus 30's) and doggie feet are freezing before we can get 'the business' done outside, but as soon as it gets back into the 30's or so, I know our old guy is in for a real outside romp.

I think dogs like playing in the snow more than little kids, and put both together, and you have a fine time.

Honored Contributor

My big boy is the same way. He can't wait to bolt out the door and run through the snow. He'll even lay down in it. I think it's cute when he starts sniffing around fresh snow and comes up with a white, snowy snout. Once the fresh snow gets crusty, I feel sorry for him because it can mess with his footing a little. He'll be walking along and whoops, the crusty layer gives way and his foot falls through. He look a little awkward when that happens. When the weather permits, we'll stay out and play, but once the temps get too low it's just out to do his business and then back in. Thank God, spring's sort of in sight.

Esteemed Contributor
Jake used to make what my mom would call doggie Angels. The new puppy is so clumsy it's funny.
Super Contributor
On 2/16/2015 mominohio said:

The poor dogs here are suffering from cabin fever even more than we people. It has been so bitterly cold here this weekend (wind chills in the minus 30's) and doggie feet are freezing before we can get 'the business' done outside, but as soon as it gets back into the 30's or so, I know our old guy is in for a real outside romp.

I think dogs like playing in the snow more than little kids, and put both together, and you have a fine time.

I agree, mominohio, regarding the cabin fever: our 2 are SO bored inside....and getting into a bit of trouble! We just sigh and take care of things--we certainly can't blame them for trying to create some fun for themselves.

Super Contributor
On 2/16/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:

My big boy is the same way. He can't wait to bolt out the door and run through the snow. He'll even lay down in it. I think it's cute when he starts sniffing around fresh snow and comes up with a white, snowy snout. Once the fresh snow gets crusty, I feel sorry for him because it can mess with his footing a little. He'll be walking along and whoops, the crusty layer gives way and his foot falls through. He look a little awkward when that happens. When the weather permits, we'll stay out and play, but once the temps get too low it's just out to do his business and then back in. Thank God, spring's sort of in sight.

I understand about the white, snowy snout! It really is cute! The slippery ice creates some problems, although it can also be rather funny as long as they don't hurt themselves. Spring is a very good thought for today! Thanks for sharing! Smile