Occasional Contributor

I need help - my little Bichon keeps having what the vet calls 'hot spots'. He keeps prescribing anti-biotics and styroids for her. Has anyone had success with a 'natural ' product? I hate to keep giving her all these meds. Please help!

Honored Contributor

Re: HOT SPOTS ON DOGS -- HELP

It depends on why it's happening, have they taken a skin scraping and tested it for staph? Sometimes dogs can create the situation because they lick the area too much, which may not be because it itches but because they are bored or are a little OCD. It can be caused by itching due to allergies though too. Without determining the reason it's hard to treat it successfully. I know some dogs end up having to wear clothing to cover the area they refuse to stop licking when there is no physical cause.

One of my dogs has allergies which causes itching and we've used Eqyss Micro-Tek spray. You can often find it at the local feed and tack store because it's used on horses too. But Amazon also sells it.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Honestly, the steroid and antibiotic cycle your vet has your dog is isn't the best plan at all and can actually make things worse in the long run. It is best to try to find out the cause, like jaxsmom suggested. Boredom, itchy skin due to diet, allergies or just general dry skin can all be causes. All those things can be addressed rather than putting a bandaid over the issue like so many vets want to do.

ETA: depending on what it is, a few suggestions would be to change the type of dog food, add probiotics (especially important if your dog is on alot of antibiotics! Forti flora is a good one) and/or fish oil, being on an antihistamine or even just using something like Vetericyn Canine hot spot spray (on amazon) can certainly help.

Honored Contributor

Assuming there is no bacterial or fungal infection, I second the possibility of allergies - shampoo or dog food or grass etc (contact allergy). You could also ask your vet about antihistimine.

Super Contributor

Years ago our Doberman mix had hot spots and the poor thing was miserable....an antihistamine helped him out tremendously. Clearly every dog is different and every issue is different: I agree with the other posters re: finding out the source, otherwise many "solutions" could only band-aid the problem. I would consult again with the vet. (Also, have been checking out essential oils for a variety of things and some of them can be used with dogs. Obviously researching your Bichon's issues and what oil could be used would need to happen, but it could be another option). Best wishes to you and your 4-legged kid! Smile

Honored Contributor

Brewer's yeast - with or without garlic - helps many dogs. Just Google for reviews and brand recommendations.

Honored Contributor

I haven't tried it, but have read that Virgin Coconut Oil is good for this. There's a brand that Amazon sells called Coco Therapy Pet Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. You start out with a very small amount or it can cause diarrhea. For a Bichon it would probably be 1/8 tsp. at first. Then work your way up to maybe half a tsp. You put it in your hands and let your dog lick your hand. I think directions would come with the jar if you ordered this brand. The company also has a website telling you about the benefits of coconut oil. I think combined with antihistamines that it would be worth a try. I would tell your Vet that you didn't want to just keep your dog on steroids all the time and keep trying to get to the bottom of this problem. I know it's frustrating and hard to figure out what it is.

If you do try the coconut oil, it has to be virgin coconut oil. Just plain coconut oil doesn't work. I've read why but don't remember.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Steroids, taken over a long period, can have a disastrous effect on a dog, causing more problems than they cure. They can actually cause muscle paralysis. You must find some alternative.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

On 2/15/2015 Kachina624 said: Steroids, taken over a long period, can have a disastrous effect on a dog, causing more problems than they cure. They can actually cause muscle paralysis. You must find some alternative.

Thank you for this reminder, Kachina624--our Doberman mix was initially on steroids for awhile to "help" but they ended up causing more issues. Best of wishes to the OP and her dog....

Honored Contributor

Short-term steroid use can be very beneficial. Long term honestly it does very bad things for animals and humans. My previous cat ended up diabetic from long term prednisone use.