Esteemed Contributor

When I was walking my dog on 2/13. He stood in the street and started shaking. I finally got him over to the grass where he laid down. I waited and waited hoping he would get back up but he never did. I had to go get a neighbor on the street to take us home. I rushed him to my vet and she said he had fluid around his heart and it was being compressed. She drained the fluid and then told me to take him to a specialty hospital which I did. They did a scan found that he has a small tumor on his heart. He stayed overnight and I picked him up this morning. He is not his normal self. They gave me some medication to help when the bleeding into the heart sac reoccurs. I called my son, who lives in Colorado, and told him about my dog, I was crying and he was so callus. He was laughing in the background regarding his dog. We have not been on good terms for quit sometime. He is a changed person since he has moved. I thought he might call me today but he has not. I am ready to cut off any communication with him. I thought he might help me out financially, since he is doing well but not even a mention of help. I am so depressed. My dog is nine years old. I brought him home and made hamburger for him so he would eat before I gave him the medication. He is not like he was before he had the attack. I will take him back next week for a check up. I also made an appointment with oncology.

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry about your dog. It's so hard when our pets get sick. I've lost three dogs to cancer. They all had heart problems but eventually died of cancer. I'm really sorry your son treated you so poorly yesterday. That's inexcusable, but maybe he didn't realize how serious it was or how upset you were. I hope your dog does well on his meds.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved dog and your son's indifference. We had a cat with heart failure who developed pericardial effusion and pleural effusion.

Here is a link to a list of places state-by-state that offer grants and financial assistance to pet owners in crisis like yours. I hope it might help:

http://bestfriends.org/Resources/Financial-Assistance-For-Pet-Guardians

In the meantime, please know that you and your pup are in our family's prayers -- please keep us posted on your dog's progress. What is his name?

Esteemed Contributor
Has a heart tumor or other tumors been ruled out. This is what happens when they have a bleed from them. This is how we lost jake. He made it three weeks past his drainage.
Esteemed Contributor
So sorry about your son. Your dog needs to have it drained. Sorry i see i missed the part about it is a heart tumor. If you have it drained you might get some extra weeks with her. She should return to herself but unfortunatly it will bleed again. Having been through this with jake and it is heartbreaking. So sorry about your son.
Esteemed Contributor
Omg i didnt read your post very well. I see you had it grained. What kind of dog do you have.
Super Contributor

Oh, elated.....my heart aches for you and your dog, as well as your son's indifference. I am so sorry that you are going through these difficult situations. It does sound like you are doing your best at this point to seek appropriate medical services, and Sammycat1's resource for possible financial assistance could be invaluable. My guess with your son is that your relationship issues are even more obvious since you are struggling with very real grief and loss, but that certainly does not help your hurt and other feelings.

Please try to take care of yourself while you are finding help for your dog. There are a lot of caring people on these boards who can offer support to you: thinking of you and wishing many blessings come your way. Keep us updated as you feel able.....

Esteemed Contributor
On 2/14/2015 ccassaday said: Has a heart tumor or other tumors been ruled out. This is what happens when they have a bleed from them. This is how we lost jake. He made it three weeks past his drainage.

I was given Yunnan Baiyao Jiaonang to help stop the bleed.I give him four tablets twice a day. Can you tell me if you were given thse tablets? How did you know when it was his time? My dog is a pibull and his name is Buddy. They said he has a small heart tumor. I am very stressed.

Esteemed Contributor
We were given pills for his stomach to keep food down. We did not get any to stop the bleed.nhe also had two tumors in his liver. After the drain he was normal for two weeks. On the third week he had a tiny bleed that he must of absorbed because he pulled through it after my parents stayed up with him. He then went back to normal but at the end of this week he had another attack that was bad. He couldn't breath. My dad came home and they took him to the vet just to make sure it was time. It was. He actually fell backwards while trying to stand up that morning. Hopefully an oncologist can explain things to you. They could only guarantee six months with surgery and chemo and it would be eleven thousand dollars. My thoughts to you is just give him the best time he has left. Spoil him and give him what he wants to eat as long as it doesn't upset his stomach. With jake there really wasn't a downhill spiral. He was begging for food up till the time of his last collapse.
Esteemed Contributor

My dog is hardly eating. This morning I feed him by hand his dog food and he ate some but on the whole he has eaten very lttle. How old was your dog and what breed? Thank you for your kind response. We are going to see the oncologist tomorrow morning.