Super Contributor

Looking for a lower fat dry dog food my dog get sick if he eats a rich dry dog food.

He will be a year old this month. The vet put him on Hills I D dry food. He really hate it and I think the calories are high. He is a dachound this breed of dogs can't get fat because he will have back problems. If he eats a rich food he gets the runs. Asked the vet what I could buy but he has not answered this question. I feed my rat terrier Earth born weight control so she stays slim but not sure if a year old puppy should eat weight control. Need help.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Looking for a lower fat dry dog food my dog get sick if he eats a rich dry dog food.

Little Daisy, I just changed my Lab's food after using Vet recommended Hill's Science Diet food. My 7 year old Lab kept throwing up. Finally, after much research and talking to other dog owners, I am using Acana. I was using Taste of the Wild which was working also. Talk to someone at a specialty pet food store. There are a lot of fillers used in dog food. Changing the protein helps as well. You dog can develop a resistance to a protein. I hardly use chicken anymore. If your dog is a puppy, it's needs are different than a mature dog as it is growing rapidly. Good luck. LM

Try to get a food with as few ingredients as possible. That way you know it is not full of 'fillers'. Also, dogs need protein so don't just give them something like 'sweet potato' only.

Super Contributor

Re: Looking for a lower fat dry dog food my dog get sick if he eats a rich dry dog food.

Thank you
Esteemed Contributor

Little Daisy, here is a link to info about Acana for puppies....

http://www.acana.com/products/classics/puppy-junior/

There are a lot of knowledgable people here in the Pet Forum. If you read reviews about Acana, you will see that it is a high quality dog food.

I am a bit concerned about going low calorie for a puppy. You might want to discuss this with your vet. While they are in growing mode, they need good food. Good luck! LM

Super Contributor

Check out Blue Buffalo grain free basic limited agreement. Neither my dog or cats throw up anymore.
Super Contributor

I finally got to speak to the vet yesterday. My puppy has gastrointestinal problems. The vet said in time he hopefully will out grow this problem. He put him on the lower fat version of the same food. I guess this type of food is the only one he can eat now. I want to thank you all for the advice.
Esteemed Contributor

Little Daisy, my vet recommended that food too but I switched because it made my dog sick. I think sometimes they get a percentage of sales for pushing this Hills Science Diet. You can stick with it as long as your dog doesn't get sick. If he/she does, don't be afraid to try something else. Research it to make yourself knowledgable so you are comfortable with your decision.

Trusted Contributor

Just a question....are you sure he is getting the runs from fatty food, or from foods that have grains? Our dog could never tolerate grains.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

What about nutro limited ingrediant puppy food.
Esteemed Contributor

My little minpin eats Natures recipe..grain free..she had tummy and skin issues, but loves this food and no more issues. It has sweet potato and pumpkin, chicken too~ I can't eat grains or gluten either..so we're a good match, lol!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West