Esteemed Contributor

Diarrhea tip for little minpin

I shared a scrambled egg with her yesterday, which she loves. Is it ok to give her some Pepto Bismol?? She weighs around 8 pounds..tia!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Re: Diarrhea tip for little minpin

Generally Pepto is tolerated by dogs and can help. A fast for 12-24 hours is the best first option. And be glad she's a minpin. We had a 95 lb. German Shepherd who got diarrhea. That was so not fun.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I would call the vet to ask the proper dosage for Pepto Bismol. Also, how long has she had diarrhea? If it's over two days I would take her to the vet. There's a drug, metronidazole, that stops diarrhea very quickly.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Do you have any canned solid pack pumpkin in the house (NOT pumpkin pie filling)? How about some rice and chicken breasts? If it were me, I'd back off of her usual food today and just give her some plain cooked rice and a boiled chicken breast cut up, plus a small spoonful of pumpkin. Continue the same thing tomorrow and she'll be as good as new.

Honored Contributor

canned pumpkin!works great and is natural.

I would ask your vet if it is okay to give pepto and how much for your sized dog if you want to go that route.

Respected Contributor

Call the vet and discuss this, and let them know how many days this has been going on and the severity. You don't want the pup to get dehydrated! And it could possibly be a sign of something else, you just never know.

Also, my vet recommends immodium. But again, you would need to talk to your vet before giving it.

Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.scared} I would take her to the vet. I now keep a bottle of metronidazole on hand the vet gave me, just in case my dog gets diarrhea. Doggie diarrhea is really not fun to deal with! They can get dehydrated very quickly also and of course there is the mess to deal with.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks girls! I had to go to work, so I gave her some Pepto Bismol before I left and put her bed in the kitchen! She loves pumpkin, so I'll get her some. She seemed fine when I got home, thank goodness. She's so smart, she went potty on my tiled bathroom floor..so it wasn't a big deal. It was my fault, I can't say no when she looks at me with those brown eyes! She's been drinking water too.

-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

On 1/30/2015 imaclotheshog said:

{#emotions_dlg.scared} I would take her to the vet. I now keep a bottle of metronidazole on hand the vet gave me, just in case my dog gets diarrhea. Doggie diarrhea is really not fun to deal with! They can get dehydrated very quickly also and of course there is the mess to deal with.

We have 3 dogs and we sold our home a little over a year ago. Well sure enough, on one of the days the house was to be shown I swear all 3 of them just exploded at once all over the front room carpet. OMG it was a mess! Down on my hands and knees for hours, but we ended up renting a carpet cleaner. Poor little kids.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/30/2015 RedConvertibleGirl said:
On 1/30/2015 imaclotheshog said:

We have 3 dogs and we sold our home a little over a year ago. Well sure enough, on one of the days the house was to be shown I swear all 3 of them just exploded at once all over the front room carpet. OMG it was a mess! Down on my hands and knees for hours, but we ended up renting a carpet cleaner. Poor little kids.

Omg..that would be awful, the smell is enough to knock you out, lol!{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

-- Mae West