Honored Contributor

Anyone own a standard poodle?

We may be taking in a rescue but I've never owned one before. Anything to be aware of regarding their health or behaviour I should be aware of, besides how incredibly smart they are? Do they do well with other animals/pets?

TIA!

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone own a standard poodle?

Bless you, HappyDaze, for fostering this dog in need of help! I've never owned a Poodle, but I learned a lot about them in my days on the AddisonsDogs health forum. I think the most common problem they have, health-wise, besides Addison's Disease, is the possibility for skin conditions such as Sebaceous Adenitis (sp?). It wouldn't hurt to look those disorders up so you'd know what you were seeing it if this dog starts to develop either. Re: Addison's, I have to warn you, it is truly a KILLER disease, and it kills FAST (like in hours!), so researching it in advance might well save this dog's life. I think some lines also have eye disorders, but can't remember specific diseases, although PRA seems to want to pop up in my memory. Are you working with a breed-specific Rescue organization, or an all-breed group? A breed-specific group should already know whether the dog needs to be screen for breed-related problems and have done the screening before sending the dog out for fostering. Regarding other pets, I suspect that's more variable, though of course, as a water retriever, the breed ought to be nice-tempered. However, I don't think I'd trust any strange dog of any group with pocket pets, for instance, since the ratting instinct is common to all canines, and you don't know this dog's background. Hopefully the rescue group has enough info to let you know if this particular dog is cat-tolerant or not, or is fine with small dogs or kids, etc. If the rescue group has no idea, then you'll just have to assume there might be problems, and prevent them with management tools like leashes, baby gates, closed doors etc. Good luck, I hope things go swimmingly!

Honored Contributor

Thanks CamilleP! I am familiar with Addison's unfortunately. I will definitely be doing more research. The dog was owned by a lady who passed away and her twenty something year old sons have him but aren't taking care of him and are going to bring him to the animal shelter so I said I might be interested in taking him in. I am going to at least see if one of the specialty rescues will take him in if I don't/can't. I have met the dog once and he is SUPER sweet, mellow and is currently with 5 other dogs (small dogs) and hasn't had any issues with the other dogs so that is good news. Anyway, I appreciate all the information, thank you!

Honored Contributor

7972589.jpg (217×233)

ORIGINALLY FROM:

GERMANY

PERSONALITY:Proud, active and very smart.

COAT & GROOMING:The Poodle coat is curly, dense, and harsh. It’s virtually non-shedding, but it does grow out quickly.

ENERGY LEVEL:Very Active; Poodles are enthusiastic walkers, runners, and swimmers. They're eager for all kinds of activity, and they enjoy keeping busy.

MEET THE POODLE

Standards should be more than 15 inches tall at the highest point of the shoulder, the Miniature 15 inches or under. Other than the height difference, the varieties have the same build and proportions. The coat is the Poodle’s glory. Dog-show people keep Poodles in what’s known as the Continental Clip—that’s the fancy clip you see on TV. But pet owners like the Sporting Clip best. It’s a much simpler hairdo in which the coat is clipped down to follow the body’s outline.

WHAT'S THEIR STORY?

Poodles are the national dog of France, and the French sure do love their Poodles. But it’s believed the breed originated as a duck hunter in Germany, where the word “pudelin” refers to splashing in water. The Standard came first, then it was bred down to the Miniature and Toy varieties. The Poodle’s elegance made them favorites of European royals. And thanks to their sharp minds and good looks, they have been star entertainers on TV and in movies.

WHAT ARE THEY LIKE?

There’s the old stereotype of Poodles as a foofy velvet-pillow dogs looking down their long noses at us. Not true. Poodles are eager-to-please, highly trainable “real dogs.” They like to work closely with their humans and can master all kinds of tricks and dog sports. The Standard, with his greater size and strength, is the best athlete of the Poodle family, but all Poodles can be trained with great success. The Miniature can be shy around strangers; the Standard tends to be more outgoing.

Contributor

We took in a Standard years ago when we had 2 other large rescue dogs. We loved him. Smart and fun and very sweet, got along well with other dogs, children, etc.

We have a toy poodle now. We love the breed. I don't think you'll be sorry.

There is the cost of grooming but I love a non shedding dog.

Trusted Contributor

My best friend had one while we were growing up.

He was a very loveable dog. {#emotions_dlg.wub} His name was Max.

He was chocolate brown in color. He was a really great dog. He was so mellow and friendly. That tail of his was always wagging! He would come around and hang out with us. He would let you pet him and play with him.

My friend also had several Siamese cats, and he got along with them, too.

My friend's Mom used to get him groomed in the "poodle cut" where his tail would be clipped with the "pom-pom" on the end, and he always looked so cute like that when he would wag his tail. Smile

Valued Contributor

We owned a standard many years ago. She was a FABULOUS dog. We adopted her when she was about three y.o. and lost her to cancer a very short four years later. Up until then she was in great health. My hair stylist also had a standard who died from Addison's. It literally broke his heart because he loved her so.

Poncho, our dog, was well-mannered and incredibly bright. She was protective of our kids, who were young at the time, and polite with strangers. She was close to the perfect dog. Her only drawback was the cost of her grooming. If I didn't have three dogs already, I'd adopt another in a minute.

Honored Contributor

My very first friend (I was 2) was "Champ" - the white Standard Poodle next door. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

He was a rugged guy and 'puppy cut', which makes SP's look like large real-life plush toys.

As a born, from-the-womb animal lover, that was a true blessing. 8) And also exactly when I started asking my parents for a dog. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing all the great stories, ladies! They all made me smile. It really sounds like we can't go wrong with them. The cost of grooming isn't an issue. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 MamboMom said:

We took in a Standard years ago when we had 2 other large rescue dogs. We loved him. Smart and fun and very sweet, got along well with other dogs, children, etc.

We have a toy poodle now. We love the breed. I don't think you'll be sorry.

There is the cost of grooming but I love a non shedding dog.

Ya know that tiny dogs are really cats that bark, right? Wink

Poodles actually DO shed, just not their hair (they don't have fur). Dander (dead skin flakes) and saliva complete the three things that can trouble people with allergies. And we "hoomins" shed hair and dander as well. Smiley Wink