Contributor

Humane society international question

I would like to make a donation to this organization. The pictures of poor, captured dogs being killed for the meat market, is tearing me up. I just want to be sure before entering my info and credit card. Anybody have any knowledge or experience with this? Thank you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Humane society international question

I look with suspicion at any organization that can spend so much for advertising. I take those late-night commercials with a grain of salt since they are obviously trying to garner as much sympathy as possible. I send my animal charity dollars to a local rescue group.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I've never heard of this organization. Did you receive a mailing from them? If so, they should include information on how to request their annual report which I would do before donating to an organization I am not familiar with. I've been a Guardian (monthly donor)with the ASPCA for over 20 years and then I make the rest of my donations locallybecause I know firsthand what they do.
Honored Contributor

OP, a good resource for checking charities out is:

charitynavigator.org {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

On 1/19/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

OP, a good resource for checking charities out is:

charitynavigator.org {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Tinkrbl I agree this is an excellent site to check out a charity....and it gives you a breakdown on how much is spent by advertising, how much salaried CEOs are paid, and how much actually goes to the cause....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 1/18/2015 mewsmomtoo said: I've never heard of this organization. Did you receive a mailing from them? If so, they should include information on how to request their annual report which I would do before donating to an organization I am not familiar with. I've been a Guardian (monthly donor)with the ASPCA for over 20 years and then I make the rest of my donations locallybecause I know firsthand what they do.

Hi mewsmomtoo....I am a long time ASPCA Guardian too...they do good work and also fight to get laws passed to protect animals against abuse too.

And I also give to my local organizations to help animals in the area I live.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Could I suggest that if possible-please see what your local animal shelter needs. Donations of pet food, bleach, laundry soap, towels/blankets, newspaper, peanut butter, etc. or just call them and see what they need. That way your money will go directly to the source, instead of going to pay for expensive TV campaigns.

Respected Contributor

I know some think it's wrong to pay for those expensive ads on TV, but.... what if they didn't? Would they get the necessary resources they need. Oftentimes you have to advertise to attract attention. If it keeps it in front of people and therefore brings in more needed donations then I am fine with it. To me it's about bringing awareness to horrible situations and getting people to get involved.

Valued Contributor

Hi Spurt, that's great that you are a Guardian too - I guess great minds do think alike :-D I think the ASPCA does great work. I learned about them when I was a child because they sponsored Medal classes at the horse shows. It was founded by a man to stop the cruelty to carriage horses in the late 1800's so they have always had a horse connection-an animal that has been a huge part of my life as you know. I donate locally to help with feral cat spay/neuter programs, also low cost spay/neuter, because I feel these are vital to keeping the pet population under control. Education is a key component to all of this of course. Little Rock, I googled HIS and they have a website with all their financials. Why not look them over and see what you think. If your heart says to give to them, then do so.
Trusted Contributor

I have mixed feelings about the Humane Society. I dislike their president, Wayne Pacelle going to bat for Michael Vick as someone who has paid for his cruelty and is reformed. I don't buy it.

BUT, I know the NY State Humane Society director as a friend and he has done A LOT to increase laws to help animals in our state. He has accomplished a lot and gets people involved in getting these changes through the state legislature.

And they do participate in busting puppymills and cruelty situations all across the US.

Personally, I support Best Friends Society in Utah.