Respected Contributor

Our golden doodle has been extremely itchy for over a month now. Took his to the vet and she suggested switching his food thinking it was a food allergy. She also sent me home with some steroid pills to make him comfortable. Neither one has made a difference. I am wondering if it just dry skin and thinking fish oil may help. Do any of you use this for your dogs.

Honored Contributor

Re: Fish Oil Capsules for Dogs

I don't know what you're feeding him, but I would suggest something that's grain free. We give our dog Nature's Domain. It's supposedly Taste of The Wild, but privately labeled for Costco. He seems to love it (really, he'd eat anything) and is doing well on it.

I do give him an Omega-3 Fish Oil Concentrate supplement. The one we use is Vitacost Tag Super Pure Omega-3 for Pets, but you could probably use people fish oil just as easily. There are calculators online to determine the right amount for your size pet. He also gets canine multivitamins and a glucosamine & chondroitin supplement. I know, I cater to him a lot.

I don't know if you've tried it, but I've read that Brewer's Yeast is good for itchy dogs too

Honored Contributor

I used to give one of my dogs fish oil caps. The vet recommended and I used Welactin. You can purchase it at KVVet. My dog loved it, and I do believe it helped. She died a couple of years ago or I would still be using it for her. It could be the food, too. Until my dog had to switch to a prescription diet I fed Wellness, which is one of the highest quality foods available.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Our golden takes them for dermatitis. They didn't seem to help but there are other good benefits your dog can get out of it.
Respected Contributor

On 1/11/2015 NickNack said:

I used to give one of my dogs fish oil caps. The vet recommended and I used Welactin. You can purchase it at KVVet. My dog loved it, and I do believe it helped. She died a couple of years ago or I would still be using it for her. It could be the food, too. Until my dog had to switch to a prescription diet I fed Wellness, which is one of the highest quality foods available.

Sorry for the loss of your dog. It's so sad when they go. He will be one next month, still a pup but a big one at 75 lbs. They put him on a fish and potato kibble, he likes it, he will eat anything actually. We just started the fish oil yesterday, hope it helps.

Honored Contributor

I hope it helps, too. Maybe the combination of that and the new kibble will help him.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I buy fish oil capsules at Aldi's. $4 a bottle. My dogs get 2 capsules each, per day. My vet recommended it. They've been getting them for about 7 years, now. I just put the whole capsule in with their regular kibble, and they swallow them whole with their food. I think it helps with their skin and fur.

Super Contributor

We had a Doberman who had skin problems, and the vet suggested fish oil. We just bought the "people kind," and after regular use it really did help! Good luck to you!
Trusted Contributor

My dog gets one omega 3 fish oil capsule by Andrew Lessman (procaps labs or hsn) and one half of a Zyrtec every day.
Respected Contributor

On 1/11/2015 lucylover64 said: We had a Doberman who had skin problems, and the vet suggested fish oil. We just bought the "people kind," and after regular use it really did help! Good luck to you!

Well that sounds promising. We are definitely going to try it. Thanks