Valued Contributor

Micro Chiping dogs...is it safe?

Hello everyone. I am wondering if someone could give me some info on if this is safe. I know a lot of people have it done but have also heard bad things. I tried to look up some reviews on how people feel about them but everything I find is 6 yrs are so old. No current reviews that I can find. There is a clinic tomorrow in our town & I have wanted to get my husbands little dog micro chipped, but he is totally against it. He says that the dog is almost always in the house with us. We are retired so we are home now with him & he has a huge fenced back yard when he goes out, that has locks on the gates & he has never tried to climb out or dig under! The old reviews I did read were mostly good but some had dogs who did have problems or saying that to many different readers & it cost abt $20 yr to keep it current! I don't want to do anything to hurt his dog! And I still have to live here. All thoughts & opinions appreciated!! Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Micro Chiping dogs...is it safe?

It's perfectly safe, but I wouldn't have it done unless you were putting him to sleep for something else (like having his teeth cleaned). I would think it would really hurt the dog to do it while he was awake. My vet won't do it while they're awake. She doesn't put them to sleep just to do the microchip, though, but will do the microchip when she's doing something else. It doesn't cost anything to keep it current. Once you register the microchip, all you have to do is notify them if you move or change your phone number.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

In rare instances, the chip can "travel" a little, but they are safe. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

We had Ru microchipped when he was having his 'big boy' operation. The doc did it when he was out so that it would be easier on him I guess.

I think it's a good idea. Like your situation, Ru is pretty much always home and when he goes outside it's in our fenced-in backyard. But you never know what could happen, I suppose. So it's a good safety thing. We have Home Again (I think that's the name) and the first year was $14.99, then it went up to, I believe, $17.99. Pretty cheap. I guess you can not pay the annual thing and have some sort of lesser coverage. I don't know - I just figured it was worth it so I pay the annual fee.

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 chickenbutt said:

We had Ru microchipped when he was having his 'big boy' operation. The doc did it when he was out so that it would be easier on him I guess.

I think it's a good idea. Like your situation, Ru is pretty much always home and when he goes outside it's in our fenced-in backyard. But you never know what could happen, I suppose. So it's a good safety thing. We have Home Again (I think that's the name) and the first year was $14.99, then it went up to, I believe, $17.99. Pretty cheap. I guess you can not pay the annual thing and have some sort of lesser coverage. I don't know - I just figured it was worth it so I pay the annual fee.

That's interesting that you pay an annual fee. I wonder if that's a new thing. My dog is 13 1/2 years old, and I don't pay an annual fee for his microchip. I'm going to put this on my list of things to ask the vet at his check-up this month.

-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I didn't realize it would hurt them! Maybe I should put it off until we do something that he is asleep for! He is neutered already. I wd not want him to feel pain from it!

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 henny said:

I didn't realize it would hurt them! Maybe I should put it off until we do something that he is asleep for! He is neutered already. I wd not want him to feel pain from it!

They use a large needle to put it in. At least that's what they used to do. I just looked up my dog's microchip information online, and I don't pay to keep his information updated. His microchip is with www.akcreuniteorg. That is AKC Reunite. I had him microchipped when he was neutered.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Micro chipping is perfectly safe. Remind your husband that it only takes a moment for the wind to blow open a door and your dog can get out. The needle used is slightly larger than ones used for other injections so many vets do like to wait till another procedure is being done. The larger needle will not bother most dogs however for small dogs it is best to wait.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

yeah he is a little guy!

Esteemed Contributor

No matter if you have a fence or not your dog should be chipped. We have a thing where I live now where dogs are being kidnapped right out of their yards. They leave the collar behind and hold them for ransom, try to sell them, or use them as bait dogs. We also had someone slip on the ice and her dog got away from her. You never know when they will lose their collar. It's almost like a vaccination and is no big deal.