Esteemed Contributor

what food do you feed your dog who has cancer

We did some research to find out what foods are best for our dog who has cancer. It looks like the nutro lamb and brown rice he,has been eating looks good. We also took away the milk bones and bought some nutro biscuits that don't have weat in them. It seems the wheat and other carbs can feed a tumor. My question I guess is what food did you feed your dog when you found out it has cancer
Respected Contributor

Re: what food do you feed your dog who has cancer

Sorry to hear about your dog.

I don't know anything about diet in a dog with cancer.

I would say feed him whatever he/she will eat. Whatever the dog likes.

If my dog didn't like new choices, I would go back to what he likes.

One of my kitties has renal failure. She hated every prescription kidney food! At this point, I give her whatever she likes. She has lost a lot of weight, so I give her whatever she will eat. This is not a war we will win.

Keep your dog happy!

Best to you,

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

Right now he doesn't have a eating problem lol. He is constantly begging. He wants to eat all the time. It seems the nutro has the ingredients a dog with cancer should have. I was just curious what others are feeding their dogs. He also likes carrots which are good.
Respected Contributor

Oh, eating not a problem! Well, that's good.

You might ask your vet or go online (maybe you've done that) and research opinions on what to feed dogs.

We lost our beautiful lilac point Siamese, Minnie, to cancer of the rectal area. It was already spread when we saw the signs.

Since eating became an issue for her, we just gave her whatever she would eat. She liked snack foods with cheese covering, tortilla chips with salt, etc.

But, bless his heart, your dog is eating well. Perhaps you are trying to go more natural for him? There are a bunch of great dog foods to choose from.

Hope he keeps doing well.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Esteemed Contributor

I was just reading what things to avoid in his food and what he needs in his food. It just happens the food he has been on is good. We just want to have,as much time with him as possible.
Honored Contributor

Is he on chemo or getting any type of treatment that may suppress his immune system?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Our dogs cancer diagnosis was terminal, and the vet told us that when he stopped eating his dog food, to feed him whatever people food he would eat. In the last weeks our dog ate scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal with fried hamburger, boiled chicken, potato pancakes, peanut butter sandwiches, etc. We lost 2 dogs to cancer within 6 wks of each other.
Super Contributor

On 1/3/2015 RedTop said: Our dogs cancer diagnosis was terminal, and the vet told us that when he stopped eating his dog food, to feed him whatever people food he would eat. In the last weeks our dog ate scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal with fried hamburger, boiled chicken, potato pancakes, peanut butter sandwiches, etc. We lost 2 dogs to cancer within 6 wks of each other.
Am so sorry for the losses and struggles everyone is experiencing or has experienced. Our vet had also suggested letting our dog eat whatever she wanted when things were not going well after we tried what we could. Clearly, comfort and quality time are what everyone hopes for--best wishes, ccassaday, and everyone.
Esteemed Contributor

No he isn't on chem. He has terminal cancer. After having his heart drained and ultrasounds we were told he has tumors in his heart and liver. It's been almost two weeks and he is his normal self. We want to just make sure we have him as long.as possible.
Respected Contributor

When it's terminal, anything they want. My girl was diagnosed with Stage 5 lymphoma in January 2013 and did just under 6 months of chemo before she had a pretty severe pancreatitis attack. Then it was almost impossible to find foods she would eat.

She eats Avoderm chicken and rice canned food and sometimes Lotus chicken and Addiction venision dry foods. Right now she is eating a bit less. She goes in for a biopsy Wednesday to check on a different cancer.{#emotions_dlg.sad}