Super Contributor

For Those Whose Pets Have Crossed the Bridge

To my dearest friend.
I stood by your bed last night; I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying you found it hard to sleep.
I spoke to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here." ...
I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at the shops today; your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.
I was with you at my grave today; you tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.
I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you; I smiled and said, "it's me."
You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
It's possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."
You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.
The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."
And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.
I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to me.

Author Unknown
Hope this brings some comfort to you.

Honored Contributor

Re: For Those Whose Pets Have Crossed the Bridge

nagrom..

Thank you so much for sharing this very beautiful and poignant poem.

------------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Regular Contributor

Thank you. I just finished weeding out my pet cemetery and was talking to my babies and then I came inside and checked out web sites and found your poem. Just what I needed. I think of my pets with happy memories and know that they are having a great time in heaven and I'm glad they are no longer in pain, and that they are still looking after us and waiting for the day we can reunite.

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for posting. I lost my beloved Sheltie of 13 years 2 weeks ago to cancer and my husband and I are so devastated. I was so upset I couldn't even function. I and just glad he is not in any more pain and happy in heaven and we can be together again.

Respected Contributor

So sorry, Cuddle. You must miss him terribly, and the above poem must have brought you to tears as well as comforted you.

Honored Contributor

Weeble crossed 4 years ago tomorrow. I have had the enormous blessing to have several very unique kitties, and he was an enormous, laid back, super intelligent sweetheart. They always laughed when he showed up at the vet's office, because you could poke him practically anywhere, and he'd just purr and give you his face to rub. Nothing ever stopped him. The vet said he was gone practically as soon as she inserted the needle- his poor little brain had been seriously damaged by his stroke, yet he was not willing to be stopped by anything. He was 17, my hero.
Super Contributor

On 12/17/2014 cuddlesmama said:

Thank you so much for posting. I lost my beloved Sheltie of 13 years 2 weeks ago to cancer and my husband and I are so devastated. I was so upset I couldn't even function. I and just glad he is not in any more pain and happy in heaven and we can be together again.

Cuddlesmama--I am so very sorry for your loss. It is very, very hard. We do indeed all love our pets dearly. My heart goes out to you and your husband. Nagrom--THANK YOU for posting this poem.....it brought both tears and a smile to my face as I think of the dogs we have lost over the years. My sister just lost her miniature Yorkie a week ago---I plan to share this poem with her.
Super Contributor

That is a besutiful poem, I am senfing it to a friend who just lost her beloved dog.
Super Contributor

This was sent to me recently.....

Dogs Never Die

Some of you, particularly those who think they have recently lost a dog to “death”, don’t really understand this. I’ve had no desire to explain, but won’t be around forever and must. Dogs never die. They don’t know how to. They get tired, and very old, and their bones hurt. Of course they don’t die. If they did they would not want to always go for a walk, even long after their old bones say:” No, no, not a good idea. Let’s not go for a walk.” Nope, dogs always want to go for a walk. They might get one step before their aging tendons collapse them into a heap on the floor, but that’s what dogs are. They walk. It’s not that they dislike your company. On the contrary, a walk with you is all there is. Their boss, and the cacaphonic symphony of odor that the world is. Cat poop, another dog’s mark, a rotting chicken bone ( exultation), and you. That’s what makes their world perfect, and in a perfect world death has no place.

However, dogs get very very sleepy. That’s the thing, you see. They don’t teach you that at the fancy university where they explain about quarks, gluons, and Keynesian economics. They know so much they forget that dogs never die. It’s a shame, really. Dogs have so much to offer and people just talk a lot.

When you think your dog has died, it has just fallen asleep in your heart. And by the way, it is wagging it’s tail madly, you see, and that’s why your chest hurts so much and you cry all the time. Who would not cry with a happy dog wagging its tail in their chest. Ouch! Wap wap wap wap wap, that hurts. But they only wag when they wake up. That’s when they say: “Thanks Boss! Thanks for a warm place to sleep and always next to your heart, the best place.” When they first fall asleep, they wake up all the time, and that’s why, of course, you cry all the time. Wap, wap, wap.

After a while they sleep more. (remember, a dog while is not a human while. You take your dog for walk, it’s a day full of adventure in an hour. Then you come home and it’s a week, well one of your days, but a week, really, before the dog gets another walk. No WONDER they love walks.)

Anyway, like I was saying, they fall asleep in your heart, and when they wake up, they wag their tail. After a few dog years, they sleep for longer naps, and you would too. They were a GOOD DOG all their life, and you both know it. It gets tiring being a good dog all the time, particularly when you get old and your bones hurt and you fall on your face and don’t want to go outside to pee when it is raining but do anyway, because you are a good dog. So understand, after they have been sleeping in your heart, they will sleep longer and longer.

But don’t get fooled. They are not “dead.” There’s no such thing, really. They are sleeping in your heart, and they will wake up, usually when you’re not expecting it. It’s just who they are. I feel sorry for people who don’t have dogs sleeping in their heart. You’ve missed so much. Excuse me, I have to go cry now.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/16/2014 nagrom said:
To my dearest friend.
I stood by your bed last night; I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying you found it hard to sleep.
I spoke to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here." ...
I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at the shops today; your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.
I was with you at my grave today; you tend it with such care.
I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.
I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you; I smiled and said, "it's me."
You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
It's possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."
You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.
The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."
And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.
I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to me.

Author Unknown
Hope this brings some comfort to you.

Thanks so much nagrom..its precious! I lost B this past fall...but I know he's pain free and happy with my mom, he adored her!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West