Valued Contributor

How can I teach a cat to use a litter box?

I will try to make this short, but try to give pertinent information. We have been feeding a long haired cat for a year now. At this time last year, he would run when he saw us-we were feeding him outside our back door. I worried sick about him-we had minus 20 degree temperatures last winter and I still don't know how he survived.

Fast forward one year- the cat has slowly gotten used to us and he is now coming inside a few times throughout the day, to sleep a little bit, and he is sleeping inside at night. The trouble is….. I have a litter pan out and he has not used it one time. I even bought the cat attractant stuff that you sprinkle on the litter that is supposed to make the litter very attractive. I am afraid that being inside for 12 hours (he sometimes comes in around 6 pm and we don't let him out until 6 am the next morning), that he is going to have to go and will start doing it in the house. I have been through that before, as we have 6 cats, and when they had the full run of the house, there was alot of marking. We now keep our 6 cats in three rooms and the problem of accidents has gone away-everyone is minding their manners very well and getting along great.

I am not sure how we are going to handle this new cat- I think he would go crazy if I tried to make him an indoor cat like our 6 other ones. So for now-he is coming in and going out-but I am scared that at some point he is going to have an accident. I never heard of a cat not knowing what a litter box is. He hasn't even gone in to investigate it-I can tell because I see no paw marks. If anyone has any ideas for me, I am all ears! Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How can I teach a cat to use a litter box?

I have tried three times today in posting and it never goes through.

................Sorry, but this was a great deal of good advice!

In short: his own new litter box, some sprinkles of catnip. Another room to himself.

I hope rosehill this hopefully helps. THANK YOU IN CARING FOR A HOMELESS LITTLE PET.

I will explain at a later date what I tried and it worked out beautifully.

Other on petlovers have great ideas.

_Naes

Honored Contributor

THIS cat litter (excellent), for starters:

Honored Contributor

Does the litter box have a hood? I would confine him to one room, and try different litters. Try a hooded litter box, or vice versa. Just keep switching the types of litter.
Honored Contributor

Hmmmm I love cats but 7?????????

"Pure Michigan"
Frequent Contributor

On 12/15/2014 ID2 said:

Hmmmm I love cats but 7?????????

I have 7 cats and proud of it! May even get another one. Our house is clean and does not smell like a litter box. Don't make comments about other people caring about animals!

Have you been putting him in the litter box? Try putting him in the box several times a day. Plus make sure he has more than one to choose from. You can also bring some dirt in from outside and put it in the box with the litter. It may just take time. Thank you for helping this kitty. Don't give up!

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone. Not an easy sale- I will wait for your additional ideas if you have any. Feline groovy- thanks for the info- I used the same brand of cat attract as you recommended that I have sprinkled on the litter. Tissyanne- hello. I have a hooded box and an open box available-but he doesn't seem to know what they are.

Savetheanimals- our house doesn't smell either- it's a lot of work keeping it clean and fresh smelling, but I am willing to do it. My hubby helps too. We can pet this cat but haven't tried to pick him up yet. When he is comfortable with that-we must get him to the vet to get shots and be tested for feline leukemia. I will start putting my hand below on his tummy when he is standing, to get him used to the feeling. And to add- it wasn't my plan to have 7 cats- it just happened. Some people can turn their backs on animals and not give them a second thought. I can't. (We live trapped a feral 3 years ago when she was starving- she was trying to eat deer corn that we put out for the deer. She was pregnant and she gave birth to 5 kittens while we had her caged in a large dog cage. We found homes for 4 of the babies, and kept her and 1 kitten. I couldn't get her out of my mind- it was a brutal winter, and she was eating deer corn.)

I really think this cat (we call him Benji) doesn't know what a litter box is.

Respected Contributor

Rosehill, my cats have all learned by instinct. I would put them in the litterbox over and over again and when they had to go, they just knew what to do.

If this new kitty is going to be an indoor/outdoor cat, then he will wait to do his business when he's outside. If he likes staying inside and has no desire to go out any longer, then he will eventually get the gist by watching your other cats.

Good luck and please keep us posted. Thanks again for taking in this kitty. Smile

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

On 12/15/2014 rosehill said:

I used the same brand of cat attract as you recommended that I have sprinkled on the litter. I have a hooded box and an open box available-but he doesn't seem to know what they are.

I really think this cat (we call him Benji) doesn't know what a litter box is.

1) The Cat Attract is the litter, not something to sprinkle on. I use it for all my boxes and my pee pee kitty is very happy.

2) You can also take some #2 from your other cats' boxes and drop one or two in the box, so that he smells it and gets curious.

Honored Contributor

My guess is that he is respecting the other cats in the house and is asking to go out in the morning to go. In his mind the litter box belongs to them. You can confine him to one room with the litter box and he should use it.

Do not use scented litter, some cats won't use scented litter.