Valued Contributor

I need some verification that I'm not being over-protective of my dog---I asked my dog's vet if I am a "crazy dog lady" and his answer was "Yes, but my practice loves you anyway!".

My Gracie (age 10 1/2) was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis in late September--cause unknown. Gracie only eats prescription one protein dog food--never people food--no treats.She spent two days in the animal hospital on IV fluids and antibiotics. When she came home, she was on a boiled chicken & rice diet for weeks--a different prescription dog kibble was very slowly introduced and she has been fine--playful, perky, great appetite.

This morning as she was eating her breakfast, I noticed she was having intestinal spasms--since her belly is white, I can see the spasms as they happened. This is exactly how her pancreatitis started. However, she did not throw up--she kept down her breakfast. Gracie usually goes back to bed after breakfast--and sleeps most of the day. Today she paced around the house a bit, then went into our bed, but did not sleep--she sat up for awhile--again, unusual behavior. I called the vet and he told me to bring her in.

His exam was negative--he felt Gracie was not in pain or any kind of distress. In order to take blood work, she would have to be fasting--so I have to bring her back tomorrow morning unfed. The vet feels if she is starting to get chronic pancreatitis, there is medication for that--the blood tests will tell us if that is what is happening--so I might not know until the weekend. Of course, if Gracie starts getting symptoms, I am to call him right away--right now she is just vaguely not herself.

Did I jump the gun and assume she was getting pancreatitis again? Am I spending a small fortune of money over nothing? Or am I being better safe than sorry? I know that once pancreatitis gets a foothold, it can be hard to cure and can be life threatening--which is why I took Gracie to the vet today--just in case something was starting up again. Since she is not throwing up or has diarrhea, should I have waited? I hate to keep questioning myself---or being a worrisome "Mom"----but I am worried when Gracie doesn't act her norm.

So----am I a crazy dog lady???????

Thanks for any insight!!

GraciesMom

Trusted Contributor

No, you are not crazy! I would have done the same thing! Hope all goes well for you and Gracie tomorrow!

Respected Contributor

You are NOT being over-protective, you are being pro-active! I completely agree with you, Gracie WAS exhibiting belly pain when she ate this morning. By catching it early, you are saving yourself money, by avoiding the need for hospitalization in intensive care, and more importantly, you are saving Gracie from extreme pain and suffering! Good for you, I will be keeping my fingers crossed that Gracie just hit a little bump in the road, not a full-blown attack of pancreatitis!

Esteemed Contributor

I think you are a great pet parent. I do the same with my dog If I know he is not right. I would never let it go---my dog is going to be 9 in January. He means everything to me. Don't beat yourself up about being a caring person. I can relate to you. Since {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} animals do not talk, we can not know if they are in pain. Keep us informed.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone---I feel better knowing I wasn't jumping the gun!!

Gracie had her normal dinner last night and was fine---no vomiting or gas or anything to suggest a problem. Matter of fact, she wanted to play and play and play!! I did notice that now she has an eye infection--which she did not have when I took her to the vet yesterday!

She is fasting this morning (not happy about it, I might add) and will have all the blood work she needs just to make sure nothing serious is being missed--I will also have the vet examine her eye and prescribe something to cure that new issue.

Yes, I will post when I get the results of Gracie's blood work!! Would appreciate a few prayers to St Francis for Gracie's well-being.

I appreciate everyone's opinion!!!!

God Bless,

GraciesMom

Respected Contributor

What if you hadn't taken her and she became very ill? Then you'd really be mad at yourself. It was good to get her checked out for her safety and your peace of mind. I know it's all costly.

Honored Contributor

You are in good company. There's many of us. Good luck with your little one.

Honored Contributor

I don't think you are being crazy at all. Your dog has a diagnosed condition that could flare up again, it's responsible to pay attention to signs of that.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone---you opinions are very much appreciated and now I don't feel like I overreacted when Gracie appeared to have pancreatitis again!!

Gracie had her blood drawn yesterday and am now waiting for the vet to call with the results--he did a complete blood panel on her, including tests for pancreatitis and kidney issues. Since Gracie is eating normally--and wants to play constantly, I don't think she is having any physical problems--but I've learned NEVER to say NEVER--dogs can hide illnesses very well. Our dog before Gracie was very ill with spleen cancer and did not show any signs of being sick until the day she died--thank goodness she only suffered for one day--but she ate and played right up to the day she passed. That experience has left me gun-shy too----but, also, more aware of anything that might be brewing.

Also, Gracie did NOT have an eye infection---she saw the vet again yesterday and he looked very carefully at her eye--he feels the discharge could've been from something that was in her eye, but is gone now--he saw NO sign of infection (I found that strange--how could there be no infection when she was having green discharge from her eye?). I insisted the vet give me antibiotic eye drops for Gracie to have in the house just in case the issue recurs--when she woke up this morning, her eye was fine--clear with no discharge--I still find that weird. But I'm glad she's OK and the drops were not needed.

Will post again once I hear form the vet…..in the meantime, thank you all for your words of wisdom!!! Gracie and I appreciate all of your opinions!!!

God Bless,

GraciesMom

Valued Contributor

Just heard from the vet--not such good news. Gracie has chronic pancreatitis and needs to have a pancreatic enzyme added to her food twice a day--it will help her digest with overtaxing her pancreas---the cost is $170 every three months for the rest of her life! I don't know how we will afford this. I just retired and my husband is retiring in May--this is totally unexpected. The good news is that Gracie's kidneys are fine--her liver enzymes are elevated, but not more so than they were a few months ago--so no change. The vet has to order this enzyme--it should be in by the end of next week. So maybe I was right--maybe Gracie was in a bit of distress the other day--oh boy, am I glad I got her into see the vet when I did---don't need this issue to turn acute again.

Please keep my beloved Gracie in your prayers. Thanks.

God Bless,

GraciesMom