Trusted Contributor

I had to have my sweet 18 year old female cat Mollie put down on September 3. I miss her terribly. I had her cremated which I had never done with any of my other cats. It has been very comforting to know that she is no longer in pain. I do find myself holding the little box she is in and hope this is just something normal. It was hard for me to put our Christmas tree up this year as she loved to lay underneath it and I have a beautiful picture of her from last year under it with the lights glowing on her. I decided to put her little box under the tree this year and that has also brought me some comfort. I have another cat that I love but it just isn't the same because Mollie was more like my best friend. Has anyone else felt this way?

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, we all have. Losing a cat or dog is losing a family member, plain and simple. You shared your life with your beloved Mollie for nearly 20 years! And although we treat and love our pets to the highest degree, there's always one we've had a special bond with, one that tugs at our hearts a little more than the rest.

So it was with my male, cream-colored tabby named Schmoo, who died after a long battle with heart failure at almost 18. We were two peas in a pod.

I'm so sorry to hear you lost Mollie . . . it is never easy, especially with a special one. And grieving her will take the time it takes, so be kind to yourself. Consider making a little memory book with photos and keepsakes of Mollie; even write her a letter to tell her how much she meant and still means to you. This has helped me enormously.

Your other kitty is probably sad, too -- that kitty lost a friend just as you did and now needs you more than ever. Give her or him extra hugs today . . . you're both riding the same life raft of sorrow.

Please come here and talk about it as often as you like -- the posters on this forum are among the nicest who ever breathed. They understand.

((((LoriK)))) ((((Mollie))))

Super Contributor

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my 17 year old kitty in February and I still miss her. I've since adopted 2 more, and I love them, but no two cats are alike. For those of us who consider pets to be fur-babies, I think losing one is like losing a family member, and the grief process is startlingly long. I like your idea of putting her ashes under the tree--mine did love it there too!

Respected Contributor

Lori K, I'm not a psychologist or anything, but I have the exact same reactions as you do! I lost a particularly precious dog in 2012, and I miss her dreadfully to this day, even though I have two of her daughters with me, as well as a younger dog who is her great-grandnephew. Each pet is special in their own way, but I think it's completely natural to miss some more than others. I lost one of my precious gir's daughters just seven weeks after her mother died to a particularly aggressive and painful bone cancer, and while I miss her, too, I admit I miss her mother more. Peggy Sue was a true little angel, and her daughter, Lucy, was something of a pickle, she could be rather nasty to strange dogs and was very selective with people, some people she seemed to hate almost on sight and would not let them touch her, others she would practically drag me to in the park in order to meet them. Neither of her sisters is that way, but Lucy was truly "reactive", and I always felt just a little apprehension when I had her out in public. I loved her dearly, she was intensely loyal and loving to her own family and was my perennial lap-puppy who had to sit on me and have her back rub after supper every night, but I still miss her little angel mommy more. I just think it's a natural reaction to have some pets who are "favorites", even when we love them all very, very much!

Super Contributor

Add me to the list. I love my dog Faith in October.

The holidays are a reminder to us of who is missing.

I find myself waiting for my hubby to go to bed, I stay up alittle while and cry and then go to bed. My heart aches like yours.

Respected Contributor

Hello, Lori K. Smile

I'm very sorry for the loss of your cat. Yes, holding the box that contains your cat's cremated remains is normal. It's the only physical thing you have left of your kitty, so naturally you want to be close to her.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

Oh, Lori, yes it is normal ..... you suffered the profound loss of a loved one and you're grieving ..... it takes time.

When we lost Tom Cat, I was so sad and read the Rainbow Bridge story every day ... it gave me such comfort ...... and now we have a new fur baby kitten, Bogart, and he is such a joy! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

When the time is right, I think Mollie would have wanted you to accept a new loved one into your home and heart ....... there are lots of animals who need a Forever Home and it honors those that came before. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

You will know when the time is right ....

Super Contributor

I didn't even want to put a Christmas tree up this year due to losing both Stinky and Tiggi last month. So instead I hung ornaments on a white LED "Scrooge" tree that has no foilage. then I put my tree skirt underneath.

You may think I'm crazy/wacked out, but Stinky loved various locations in the bedroom, so sometimes I have her urn on the bed, sometimes under the bed, sometimes on the window sill, and at times here next to my monitor.

Contributor

I so can relate to this heartache we all share. I lost my special boy in May. It has been devastating to say the least. I would of had him 5yrs on the Dec. 11th. I'am dreading this coming week. I've had several dogs over the years that I've lost and grieved but nothing compares to losing my Buddy. He was surely something special. I can only hope time will help but so far it still hurts even seven months later. I just wish I could go back and have him here with me now. I think everyone here grieves in their on special way and no matter how nutty you feel others may think you are we can all say we are in the same boat. Take care everyone.

Frequent Contributor
Funny I just saw this today, because yesterday I was just wondering if I'm nutty. I have lost quite a few dogs but losing my sweet Bo on labor day weekend has been so much more difficult. I miss him so,so much. I haven't even been excited about Christmas this year. We have got a new puppy who is a joy and also a distraction but I can't get rid of my daily sad thoughts of missing my sweet boy. My husband feels the same. It is so nice to have you kind ladies to vent to and to know I'm not so nutty!!! Merry Christmas to you all!! This sadness WILL lessen with time and we will be with our special furry babies again one day!!