Esteemed Contributor

None Of The Shelter Cats Liked Me :(

{#emotions_dlg.crying}

We have made giving to the local no kill shelter a part of our regular holiday giving. Last weekend we stopped and dropped off our donations.

I have to say I've always been a dog person, GSD's in particular. And while we fed a few neighborhood kitties while living in Detroit I haven't had a house cat since I was a kid.

The shelter has several cats and I tried to get their attention to see who would warm up to me. Not a one! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Okay, I know they're cats. And they sense I'm a dog lover. Do cats just not 'warm up' to a stranger the way dogs do? Any hints are welcome! {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Respected Contributor

Re: None Of The Shelter Cats Liked Me :(

I've never looked at cats at a shelter because I was always looking for dogs at the time but I think you need to go back and check out more. I would imagine one would come up to you that's friendly. They say male cats are more affectionate and I've had 4 males all together and 3 now that I found outside. Two are extremely affectionate and one thinks he's a puppy. The third one is coming along and getting better. Mine love treats and will do anything for one.

I think it's all in how much time you spend with them. I hope you find one that speaks to you.

I'm sure female cats are affectionate too...

Super Contributor

Difficult to gauge a shelter cats personality because they can be in various states of emotional shock after suffering the loss of their guardians, loss of their companion pets, and the loss of the comfort and familiarity of their home.

As a result of being given up to a shelter or if abandoned to the streets of an outside world that they've never experienced before, a normally friendly and confident cat can revert to become sullen, depressed and fearful. Some cats are more outgoing and will adjust to shelter life more readily, but sensitive cats can take longer to warm up to shelter life.

I would suggest that you spend more time in the shelter so that you can observe the cats that you might be interested in. Usually a person will develop a special connection with a particular cat and that will be the cat that they adopt, regardless of how the cat interacts with them.

Then, when you get the cat home, it may take some time for the kitty to come out of it's shell. A newly adopted cat has to have time to develop a sense of security in it's new surroundings. Cats (and dogs) need to be able to predict (again) that they will be warm, fed and loved on a daily basis.

Some cats, (depending on the amount of abuse they have gone through either after being given up or picked up from the streets) may take longer to develop a sense of security in his new surroundings.

But if you provide food, water, shelter and lots of love on a routine basis, kitty will begin to be able to predict that his future is good again. He will then develop confidence again. And after his confidence comes back, he will be able to trust again. Then he will show you all of the abundant love he has in his heart for you.

Then this will be the beginning of many wonderful years of loving companionship. There's nothing comparable to the unconditional love of a loyal feline. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

What Jeremiah 2911 said.

I've taken in strays for over 30 years. Only one is a lap cat and out of the many cats I've had, none were immediately friendly. Each one came to me in his/her own time. Finally, they all showed loved in various cat ways.

Cats are often subtle in their emotions. A slight pass near your legs or hands or rub up against you is often all they can give after lives of neglect.

Be patient.

I'm a devoted cat lover with a current family of 5 big boys. Each very separate personalities. One still runs from me if I approach him too fast, but another runs to me when I call...much like a dog.

Cats don't know if you love dogs or not. But they will not offer immediate approval if they've been living in the wild or in a shelter.

Again, if you truly want a cat in your life, you must be patient and then, not expect the cat to be a dog. Just love them for being a cat.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the suggestions! J/K about the fact they know I'm a dog person. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

This shelter does take the time to post the kitty's personality as they observe it. They categorize the cats on their cage tag as "friendly", "lap cat", "doesn't like dogs", etc.

I will go back and see if I can find one to warm up. Take some treats and ask if it's okay. They do have dog biscuits and treats for the dogs to get them to warm up to you.

Living in the city we had 2-3 neighborhood kitties that we fed when they came around. Now living in the sticks I've only seen the neighbor's cat prowling the neighborhood. And that's rare.

We have room in our home & hearts for a shelter pet so we'll keep looking!

Respected Contributor

I've heard that animals in shelters can be a bit subdued and aloof as they've been disappointed so many times. Seeing people come in to look at them and not be chosen can make them sort of give up, if you know what I mean. Once you get a kitty home, its purrsonality will gradually reveal itself.

Next time you go in, ask them if you can hold the kitties and see if you bond with one of them. Bringing treats is a good idea, IMO.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

On 12/5/2014 Snowpuppy said:

Thank you for the suggestions! J/K about the fact they know I'm a dog person. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

This shelter does take the time to post the kitty's personality as they observe it. They categorize the cats on their cage tag as "friendly", "lap cat", "doesn't like dogs", etc.

I will go back and see if I can find one to warm up. Take some treats and ask if it's okay. They do have dog biscuits and treats for the dogs to get them to warm up to you.

Living in the city we had 2-3 neighborhood kitties that we fed when they came around. Now living in the sticks I've only seen the neighbor's cat prowling the neighborhood. And that's rare.

We have room in our home & hearts for a shelter pet so we'll keep looking!

You have a lovely attitude. Enjoying reading your nice comments...

I think that the right cat (or cats!) will make themselves known to you. Perhaps you will find a bonded pair of cats that need a home.

Of course, me being a multiple cat owner, I think that two (or three or four, etc.,) cats is much better than one! LOL!

But it's been proven that cats live longer if they have a pet companion. So if you stumble upon a bonded pair of cats -- such as a pair of litter mates -- or a momma cat with one (or two! LOL!) of her offspring, please consider adopting them all.

Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Some cats are friendly and approachable; many others are standoffish with strangers and a bit aloof till they get to know you. Some cats tend to be a bit aloof, period. And you have to remember that some shelter cats have not been well socialized and/or have had hard lives or may even have been mistreated. You can't always get a good response on the first visit!

Super Contributor

When I picked my shelter cat, I chose her from a Petfinder photo online.

I went to the shelter to meet her, and in the cat room all the cats were reaching out with their paws, saying, "Pick me! Pick me!" My cat was tucked grumpily away, at the back of her cage. I did the meet and greet, and she seemed to be unimpressed with me. She'd been there for several months, and had been returned by two previous families as not being a good fit for them.

I brought her home, and she blossomed. Once she knew she was in her forever home, she let down her barriers, that had been keeping her mentally stable while she was unsure about her future.

Now, she loves anyone and everyone. She just didn't want to throw herself at someone, only to be rejected yet again. I totally get her.

Valued Contributor

What a kind heart you have, Clover29, for sticking with that little girl in that situation. Many would have then chosen one of the other cats and she would have been left until last (or worse).

You made a promise and stuck with it. I'm so glad you were rewarded for it and that you two found each other.