Respected Contributor
My neighbor took in a pregnant stray cat. Today she came frantically knocking at my door and said the cat had birthed two dead kittens Thanksgiving.She was trying to birth another and she was in distress.I went over and started rubbing the cat and she laid on her side and I saw a head of a dead kitten had crowned...and a tail had also come out behind the kitten's head.She was trying to push these kittens out. My mom called our vet (who answered even while on vacation at the beach) .He gave some good instructions and my sister and I and the mama cat finally got the breach one out...then the other one came out... so four dead kittens.But about 10 minutes.mutes later she had ANOTHER kitten and it was alive and so far is doing well. It was sad loss of kittens and yet a happy ending....a sweet little yellow fighter. Mama and baby were resting in a clothes basket when we two "midwives" walked home. I just wanted to share this and hope y'all will say a prayer for this little kitten and the mama..and our awesome vet. How wonderful our vet answered and helped us save the mom and kitten.
Esteemed Contributor

You're my new hero -- way to go!!

Trusted Contributor

Oh my goodness,you are a hero. You saved that Mama's life and the babies too. It had to be scary but you were awesome and so sad for the others that didn't survive but I will pray for this sweet kitten and hope it makes it.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Honored Contributor

Good for you, and your neighbor. I'm sad they didn't all make it, but there is one lucky survivor.Smile

Respected Contributor
I'm just a pet lover. My vet was the hero today.... taking a call while on vacation...that's so awesome. I thought this forum category would appreciate the story.
Honored Contributor

I bet the momma cat was scared and pained over the dead babies being born ......

I'm sure she will take such good care of the one baby she has ...... thank you for helping her become a mommy!

Honored Contributor

We have a vet that is this dedicated as well, and she is truly a hero as well. They come in in the middle of the night, holidays or whatever is needed to help an animal.

So sad for the mamma kitty to have lost so many babies, but it will be wonderful if the last little one survives.

I'm sure it made for an interesting and reflective kind of holiday. Thanks for being there for your neighbor and the mamma.

Honored Contributor

God Bless your neighbor for having the kind heart to take in this precious kitty who was in desperate need of a forever home.

God Bless you and your vet for helping the mama kitty to get through the difficult birth of her kittens.

I do hope that once the mama kitty is finished weaning her kitten, your neighbor will have her spade and will make her an indoor kitty.

Sending out tons of prayers to the mama and her precious kitten.

-------------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^= {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Esteemed Contributor

What a wonderful story! (And I didn't even notice the "hepled"!) {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

So many people would have just turned this cat away if they realized it was pregnant, and your neighbor deserves such accolades for keeping her, and you as well for helping her. It must have been a harrowing experience, especially if you all love cats as much as a lot of us here do. But even though some were lost, at least the mamma has one to love, and I hope your neighbor and her new furbabies will have a long time together. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

My son took in a stray dog (along with three he already had), and soon realized she was pregnant. He called me at 6:00 am one morning saying PLEASE come... he was helping "birth the babies". She wound up with NINE puppies, but she was a young mama dog and didn't know how to care for them properly, so as much as he tried to help her, only two survived. When it came time to adopt them out, he was like a "strict father" making sure that they got a really good, safe home.

Kudos to your vet as well for helping while he was on vacation. In my area, we would have had to take the cat to the Emergency Hospital because vets don't take emergency calls, at least none that I know of.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing..this made my day. Doesn't it make you feel good knowing you helped bring a life into this world and helped the mama, who must have been so scared! Bless you!!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West