Esteemed Contributor

For my Pet Lover friends, a Thanksgiving eve story!

I met a lovely woman at a thrift shop today. We talked about our Thanksgiving plans.. I told her I was spending Thanksgiving with my best friend, Emmy. She told me that her son was driving behind someone that threw out a puppy from his car. Her son got the puppy, it was wrapped in a blanket. He took him home and she saw her son sleeping in the family room the next morning with a little wrapped treasure. They took him to the vet and he checked out ok, thank God. She said he thought he was a chihuahua/miniature fox terrier and around 4 months old. Her vet was crying, he couldn't imagine anyone doing this. She said he is the cutest thing, lol! They've had this darling little one for 1 month now. They have another rescue, Ellie, a golden Lab that has taken Max, under her wing. I thought this was a wonderful Thanksgiving story..what could be better?? I thanked her for taking in this puppy and giving him a loving home. It was on December 26th, 2005 that I heard about my little Emmy..her mom needed a home for her, she had many drop their dogs, etc over her fence as they knew she loved animals. She loved Emmy, but she would get out with her miniature ponies, and she was afraid she would get hurt. I took her sight unseen. My boys and their dad made the trip to Arkansas and brought back this darling 11 month old female..she has been my best friend ever since. She's 9 now, and we're the same age..lol! I really do BELIEVE these rescues KNOW that we picked them and they reward us with their unconditional love the rest of their lives! I know there are many on this forum that have rescue pets and I send love and thanks to all of you!{#emotions_dlg.wub} I would love to hear about YOUR rescue stories!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

Re: For my Pet Lover friends, a Thanksgiving eve story!

Awww...graceandmercy, I don't have a rescue story but I was moved to tears by the woman you met this week and your own story about Miss Emmy. Thank you for sharing! Please give Miss Emmy and yourself a hug from me! Hugs, love and prayers!{#emotions_dlg.wub}Panda PS: We miss you in the PCC Y & R group. Please visit us when you can!!!!

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Panda, I was hoping to hear from you! I answered you on the Y&R board yesterday! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Today was the first day I saw some of Y&R. I guess Victoria finds out who Katie's daddy is tomorrow..Look like Phyllis has won back Jack..alot has happened. I hope Stitch is Katie's daddy, looks like Billy has moved on with Chelsea..ohh the drama...lol!

Em and I send our love and pray you're doing well! Keep in touch! Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday and the time off, I plan on taking lots of naps..lol!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

-- Mae West
Super Contributor

Awwww, what a wonderful Thanksgiving story. I also believe rescues come to us from above. No doubt in my mind.

Thanks for rescuing and have a blessed Thanksgiving. And give Emmy a hug from me and my rescue, Hero, a deaf white boxer who loves everyone and would love to give Emmy a kiss in person I'm sure!

Our first rescue was JD, who was thrown across the room when the husband came home and saw he was a white boxer. The rescue took him back and called me, we picked him up that night and had him for 10 wonderful years.

Fawn was in a shelter in upstate New York. We heard she was deaf and 3 years old. Had her till she was 11. My best friend and JDs best friend too.

Casey was JDs son from an all white litter. All of whom found forever homes, we had Casey for 11ish years. She was a love.

Sage was also deaf, the boxer rescue org called us about her and we had just lost Fawn so we took her. My husbands best friend for 12ish years. Slept cuddled in his arms every night. Sometimes she let me in! LOL

And Hero, who was rescued by Bikers Against Animal Abuse. I had called my rescue lady one night to tell her about Sage and when she hung up an organization called her 5 minutes later asking her if she knew anyone who could handle a deaf white boxer!! MEANT TO BE. Hero is the love of our lives right now, and is now healthy and happy after $1,800 in vet bills to heal him. Had a mass cell tumor that would have killed him within months. We've had him for 4 years now.

And if I was a betting person, I'd bet there will be more furbabies who will find us in the future. I HOPE {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/26/2014 NChgOfMyAttitude said:

Awwww, what a wonderful Thanksgiving story. I also believe rescues come to us from above. No doubt in my mind.

Thanks for rescuing and have a blessed Thanksgiving. And give Emmy a hug from me and my rescue, Hero, a deaf white boxer who loves everyone and would love to give Emmy a kiss in person I'm sure!

Our first rescue was JD, who was thrown across the room when the husband came home and saw he was a white boxer. The rescue took him back and called me, we picked him up that night and had him for 10 wonderful years.

Fawn was in a shelter in upstate New York. We heard she was deaf and 3 years old. Had her till she was 11. My best friend and JDs best friend too.

Casey was JDs son from an all white litter. All of whom found forever homes, we had Casey for 11ish years. She was a love.

Sage was also deaf, the boxer rescue org called us about her and we had just lost Fawn so we took her. My husbands best friend for 12ish years. Slept cuddled in his arms every night. Sometimes she let me in! LOL

And Hero, who was rescued by Bikers Against Animal Abuse. I had called my rescue lady one night to tell her about Sage and when she hung up an organization called her 5 minutes later asking her if she knew anyone who could handle a deaf white boxer!! MEANT TO BE. Hero is the love of our lives right now, and is now healthy and happy after $1,800 in vet bills to heal him. Had a mass cell tumor that would have killed him within months. We've had him for 4 years now.

And if I was a betting person, I'd bet there will be more furbabies who will find us in the future. I HOPE {#emotions_dlg.wub}

You truly are an angel and your dogs were blessed to have you and your DH for their parents!! I am sending Hero a kiss from Emmy, she loves all dogs, she's tiny but isn't intimidated, lol. I have learned alot from her! You will be surrounded by so much love when you reach heaven, I think about it often..all of my little furbabies waiting for us! I saw an episode on Pitbulls and Parolees, where one of their rescues had a large mass. The vet said there was nothing she could do. The dog had a brother and they were inseparable. She (owner of the pitbull rescue) had her twin sons finish their home in New Orleans for these dogs to live. It was really hot and she wanted the dogs to be cool, as it looked like the one dog didn't have long to live. The Marines volunteered to help get the house and yard ready!! Well, the dogs were elated and loved their new home! The dog that was sick, was healed, from the love and happiness he felt from the twins etc. There was no other explanation..the power of LOVE! I love that show, she's another angel! Love these stories, there are many out there that truly love and care for the animals, I am so grateful my dad raised me to have love and compassion for all animals..they give us so much in return. Loved your story, it made my day. Please give Hero a kiss from us, a hug too! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

We rescued a senior Sheltie who had been dumped in a very remote area, was covered in fleas, had chunks of hair missing, emaciated, and had heartworms. We drove 3 hours to pick him up and then 3 hours to bring him home. Now ten months later, he is very healthy, no longer emaciated ( maybe a little chubby!), has a beautiful thick coat, and is an absolute angel, just a doll!! He loves our other collie rescue and they enjoy each other. They both bring so many smiles to our lives every day!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/28/2014 colliegirls said:

We rescued a senior Sheltie who had been dumped in a very remote area, was covered in fleas, had chunks of hair missing, emaciated, and had heartworms. We drove 3 hours to pick him up and then 3 hours to bring him home. Now ten months later, he is very healthy, no longer emaciated ( maybe a little chubby!), has a beautiful thick coat, and is an absolute angel, just a doll!! He loves our other collie rescue and they enjoy each other. They both bring so many smiles to our lives every day!!

Thanks for sharing! What a great story, YOU'RE an angel too! Thank God he was rescued! Nothing better then the love these precious dogs/cats bring to our lives!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

I love rescue stories! One of my favorites is from a friend who was driving home from taking her two kids to college, she had just separated from her husband and her dog had recently passed. She was depressed thinking about going home to a totally empty house. On the way home at night, it was pouring rain and storming, and she saw a large black dog along the edge of the road. She turned around and went back to get him. He jumped right into the car when she opened the door. She assumed he was a German Shepard mix. The next morning she took him to the vet to get a bath and check up. They girl came out after the bath and said" here's your dog". It was a white dog and my friend said,"that's not my dog, my dog is black". The girl said, "no, your dog is white, he was filthy dirty, he is a Samoyed!!!!" She was so surprised, she could not believe it!! That dog has been such a wonderful dog and such a blessing to her and now she has quite the story!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/29/2014 colliegirls said:

I love rescue stories! One of my favorites is from a friend who was driving home from taking her two kids to college, she had just separated from her husband and her dog had recently passed. She was depressed thinking about going home to a totally empty house. On the way home at night, it was pouring rain and storming, and she saw a large black dog along the edge of the road. She turned around and went back to get him. He jumped right into the car when she opened the door. She assumed he was a German Shepard mix. The next morning she took him to the vet to get a bath and check up. They girl came out after the bath and said" here's your dog". It was a white dog and my friend said,"that's not my dog, my dog is black". The girl said, "no, your dog is white, he was filthy dirty, he is a Samoyed!!!!" She was so surprised, she could not believe it!! That dog has been such a wonderful dog and such a blessing to her and now she has quite the story!

She found her dog right on time..bless his heart! Thanks for sharing..love it!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

Just heard a rescue story today. A contractor was parked and on the phone when a dachshund ran out of the woods and jumped right into his truck. The dog looked as if he had been lost for a long while so he took the dog home and the family kept him. The dog lived about 9 more years and was a great dog!